TotallyOz

Does Thaksin Shinawatra rule Thailand from Abroad?

Great article in the New York Times:

Millions of people across the globe have cut the tethers to their offices, working remotely from home, airport lounges or just about anywhere they can get an Internet connection. But the political party governing Thailand has taken telecommuting into an altogether different realm.

For the past year and a half, by the party’s own admission, the most important political decisions in this country of 65 million people have been made from abroad, by a former prime minister who has been in self-imposed exile since 2008 to escape corruption charges.

The country’s most famous fugitive, Thaksin Shinawatra, circles the globe in his private jet, chatting with ministers over his dozen cellphones, texting over various social media platforms and reading government documents e-mailed to him from civil servants, party officials say.

It might be described as rule by Skype. Or governance by instant messenger, a way for Mr. Thaksin to help run the country without having to face the warrant for his arrest in a case that many believe is politically motivated.

His (remote control) return to power, even if somewhat limited by distance, is a remarkable turnaround for the brash telecommunications billionaire who was deposed in a military coup in 2006, the catalyst for several years of brinkmanship between critics and supporters that led to four changes of government and violent street protests that left nearly 100 people dead.

Officially, his sister, Yingluck Shinawatra, is the prime minister (he nominated her for the job in 2011). But from his homes in Dubai and London, from the gold mines he owns in Africa and during regular visits to nearby Asian countries, Mr. Thaksin, 63, has harnessed the Internet and mobile technology to create one of the most unusual ways of governing a country.

For the full article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/world/asia/thaksin-shinawatra-of-thailand-wields-influence-from-afar.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The answer is probably yes, he does rule from abroad.  Why not, he is still the only PM to ever be re-elected in his name and in his sisters.  Is he honest and above board?   NO.  Now we need to compare with him with others who are now or were in power.

Can't really do that without talking about that damn elephant in the room---so no where to really go except say he is no angel, but Thaksin is probably better then any alternative out there.  Really kind of sad in a way.

Guest fountainhall

It is sad - and I say that having been a strong critic of Thaksin in a string of previous threads. The guy was a crook. He defrauded the country of hundreds of millions. He faked the ownership of his own shares in his own company and legally should have been disbarred from being PM even before his first term. He was also a bully. He caused several thousand extra-judicial killings in a ridiculous 'war on drugs' campaign, and then had the gall six months later to stand on a soap box and declare the 'war' had been won. Won? It was all a PR stunt! He stifled criticism by having newspapers which dared print anti-Thaksin articles raided and editors fired.

But everyone knows all that. Perhaps the most difficult point for some to swallow (including me) is that most Thais don't seem to care a jot about it. From what I read, most people accept that everyone in any kind of office is corrupt and so why single out Thaksin, one of the first politicians to put into practice policies that actually benefitted the poor.

The guy seems to be his own worst enemy. If he had played his cards more sensibly and been less visible, perhaps some compromise could have been worked out to enable his return before now. Surely he must realise his base in the country is not going to fade away if he just quietened down for a while? Or has the lust for power gone totally to his head whereby he actually believes he is the country's saviour?

On the other hand, as the Chulalongkorn Professor suggests in the NYT article, the status quo "may be the best way to run Thailand!"

Yes, attempting to avoid Rogie's euphemism above, the real face of Thailand's future will begin to emerge only after succession occurs. And I can see several scenarios happening. One could be the possibility that the new regent might surprise the hell out of people and come out with some very new ideas (ones actually practicing and endorsing those "weird" concepts called democracy and freedom of expression). But, unfortunately, I can also see the military with its usual backers stage another coup and then watch a crazy rerun of Burma's long period of military rule.

For now, however, it seems all the elements are in a holding pattern waiting for the event to occur and, likely, plotting their moves thereafter.

It hadn't dawned on me that the new regent might be like a breath of fresh air. The odds must be agin it, but wouldn't it be wonderful it that came true? Another gigantic elephant (not in the room, I just mean as a giant-sized problem) is Thailand hasn't seen a succession since before most of us were born. That has to be seen as a weakness in a country with a weak democracy. Contrast that with countries that elect a head of state - a President  - every four or five years. A non-elected head of state in a country like Britain is no problem because it's a stable democracy . . .  coup-free for over 350 years since the 1640's.

When a leader is so corrupt and unprincipled, I wouldn't want him, his sister or anyone with close connections anywhere near power again. At least not in my own country.

Who the Thais elect is up to them, but I do think they have made a very poor choice.

Guest fountainhall

When a leader is so corrupt and unprincipled, I wouldn't want him . . . anywhere near power again.

Sadly, that is not how many countries view their leaders. Look at that crook Berlusconi! He's vying for power again The Greek political system was crooked from top to bottom. Look at much of Africa. Look at parts of Central and South America. If you took the crooks away, there'd be no-one left to run for office  :shok:

in a thread in the Gay Thailand forum fountainhall was on his high horse about who we should and should not discuss to stay within the boundaries of Thai law and local board policies but it seems he, and the moderators here, think that in this forum Bob, Rogie and others can discuss other members of the same family  with gay abandon even if they are protected by the same laws and board policies

bkkguy

Guest fountainhall

Boring!   :crazy:

Mind you, Michael did warn everyone! 

When you poke, he will come. Just don't get all upset when he does! 

The relevant part of the Message Centre policies is (taken from post # 2 in that link)

"There will be no posts allowed that disparage or insult the royal family"

(placing his hands over his mouth) I haven't insulted, nor disparaged, anyone in the above category. If it turns out not to be a breath of fresh air, so what? That just means more of the same which has to be good.

I don't like many aspects of Thai society, but I prefer to focus on the upside: whenever anybody asks me why I visit the Kingdom I usually tell them it's the people, the culture, their Buddhist faith and love of their King and country.

Guest jomtien

I go away for a few days and look what happens!  Geez.

You are all clever.  Amusing.  Witty.

And yet the thread comes too close......

Closed.