Guest thaiworthy

Think Before You Donate

Guest thaiworthy

This post was prompted by the Take Care thread, but belonged in a new thread here:

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU MAKE CONTRIBUTIONS: 

As you open your pockets to do a good thing and make yourself feel good, please keep the following facts in mind: 

----------------------------

The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans' salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses MARCH OF DIMES It is now called the March of Dimes because only a dime for every 1 dollar is given to the needy. 

The United Way President Brian Gallagher receives a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits. 

UNICEF CEO Caryl M. Stern receives $1,200,000 per year (100k permonth) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE. Less than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause. 

GOODWILL CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.

Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business. You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT. He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage! Nice Guy. $0.00 goes to help anyone! Stop giving to this man. 

Instead, give it to ANY OF THE FOLLOWING

GO "GREEN" AND PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE IT WILL DO SOME GOOD:

The Salvation Army Commissioner, Todd Bassett receives a small salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization. 96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause. 

The American Legion National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth! 

The Desertstorm Veterans of Foreign Wars National Commander receives a$0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth! 

The Disabled American Veterans National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth! 

The Military Order of Purple Hearts National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth! 

The Vietnam Veterans Association National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth! 

Make a Wish:For children's last wishes. 100% goes to funding trips or special wishes for a dying child. 

St. Jude Research Hospital 100% goes towards funding and helping Children with Cancer who have no insurance and can not afford to pay. 

Ronald McDonald Houses All monies go to running the houses for parents who have critical Children in the hospital. 100% goes to housing, and feeding the families. 

Lions Club International 100% OF DONATIONS GO TO HELP THE BLIND,BUY HEARING AIDES, SUPPORT MEDICAL MISSIONS AROUND THE WORLD. THEIR LATEST UNDERTAKING IS MEASLES VACCINATIONS (ONLY $1.00 PER SHOT). 

Always wise to check out the charity just so you have an idea as to how much of what you donate goes to accomplishing some good (versus padding fund-raiser fees, executive fees and benefits, etc.).  I always hoped that there would be some type of clearing house or advisory board that would check out charities and rate their effectiveness, along with full public disclosure as to what percs and benefits the managers of the charity are receiving.  In other words, some type of rating agency that would make public the kind of information a charity should have done on its own in the first place.

I'd note that I'm not at all making any reference to Take Care here.  I presume Take Care is an effective charity and I would note that their website does provide a fair amount of transparency as to how they spend their money (their monthly newsletters, available online, reflect bank balances, receipts, and expenditures) and for that I applaud them.

I am very leery of donating money in Thailand as I can sometimes be suckered into things. When I first started traveling to Thailand I attended a benefit dinner and I was moved by the charity as it was well publicized on these forums. So, I gave a very large cash gift at the end. My donation was never counted toward the night's total. It was never entered into their records even thought I personally handed it over to 2 board members.

It was at that point that I decided I would not participate in cash donations again in LOS. I do go to dinners and I do buy lucky draws. But, I decided not to give out more money to any charity that is not registered and makes a full accounting of the books public.

Guest thaiworthy

In all fairness to Take Care, their website does seem to show some accounting as Bob suggests. Further, it states that all donations are US tax-deductible. I do not think they could state that if the US government didn't recognize them as legit, as I'm sure they are.

http://www.takecarepattaya.com

The real issue in the other thread is Dale1's lack of response and is damaging their image by presenting a like-it or leave-it attitude. Really bad PR in my opinion. It smacks of outright arrogance. I am sure as a charity they are probably legit and are doing good things. But sometimes you have to yell FIRE to tell someone there's smoke in the kitchen, hence this thread. As Khor Tose, accurately stated, The message is good, but the messenger frankly sucks.

Take care and take note, Dale1!

Guest fountainhall

I presume Take Care is an effective charity and I would note that their website does provide a fair amount of transparency as to how they spend their money (their monthly newsletters, available online, reflect bank balances, receipts, and expenditures) and for that I applaud them.

Like others, I don't want this thread merely to be a vehicle for bashing Take Care, despite what I consider its insensitivity to feelings expressed on this Board and its desire - for whatever reason - not to address them. The cash accounting on its website, though, whilst worthy of applause, is I assume unaudited. It also appears not to be a registered charity in Thailand. So who really knows what income goes where? In less honest hands, it could even be channeled to the US for all we know!

On the larger topic, fund-raising for charities in general can be a huge minefield for donors. There is a gaggle of so-called fund-raisers around the world who smooch up to Committee members with promises to raise vast sums for a modest outlay. Since that outlay is likely to be in the form of an up-front fee plus a modest monthly retainer, it all seems a win-win situation - until the hefty commission on funds received is added to the mix. These jerks then commit more funds towards the printing of glossy brochures, expensive lunches and dinners with all and sundry. In the end, all that results is many charities end up with precious little, in the meantime having underwritten the lifestyles of these so-called experts.

In the 1960s and 70s, a number of retired middle-level army officers latched on to this and became fund-raising consultants. A not-for-profit company with whom I was employed engaged one. He was a deal loss. The company ended up doing 95% of the work whilst the "consultant" walked away - legitimately, alas - with around 79% of the income.

Note to Scooby - please can you get rid of the icon when we type eighty percent? It's a pain when we have to type EIGHTY % to avoid this -  80%!

As a veteran and member of the VFW I do have some comments on Thaiworthy's choices.  I know nothing about the desert storm veterans organization, but all the rest are familiar to me.  Three of of these organizations do require a comment.  The VFW requires you swear an oath under God, but did not mind that I crossed it out when I joined. The Military order of the Purple heart is chartered by Congress, and the American legion is a right wing Republican front in that like the NRA they endorse and only support Republican candidates regardless of their stand on Veteran's issues.  None of the other Vet organization require you be a believer or endorse candidates.  Thank you Thaiworthy for including Vets on your list.

Guest thaiworthy

This is my favorite charity. I just made a contribution and will try to make it more next time. This site is the home of Paul and Sandra Finnelly, owners of cats4youinpattaya.webs.com

http://cats4youinpattaya.webs.com/apps/photos/

They run a no-kill shelter for cats, about 50 which they try to find good homes for. You can donate cash thru Paypal or just bring in cat food and/or litter, so you know where your money is being spent. They are trying to find good homes for the cats and have a fund-raising drive to reach $500 by Feb. 20. The link to donate is here:

http://cats4youinpattaya.webs.com/apps/webstore/

I am an animal lover and I think this is very good charity. With 50 cats to feed and care for, I don't think $500 even puts a dent into their costs.

I hope you all will consider this charity. They did not ask me to do this. I had a cat when I lived in Texas and had to give her away when I moved here to Bangkok, where it is discouraged to have pets. You can come by and visit the cats with an appt, but be sure to bring some food and litter, whatever you can spare. Their phone is 085-287-5004. Email contact is finnellypaul@yahoo.co.uk

Peter & Mary:

peterandmary1_zps8c246ab1.jpg

Guest Jovianmoon

This is my favorite charity... 

That seems like a worthy charity, thaiworthy, if you don't mind the pun.

Admittedly I haven't yet made a donation, but I came across this one on Stickman a couple of months ago, and thought it might be worth some contribution when next I'm in Thailand:

The Soi Dog Foundation

Otherwise, for regular donations, my direct monthly is UNHCR, which I happily recommend to all of you.

Cheers.  :)

I am an animal lover and I think this is very good charity.

2 Billion birds and 12 Billion mammals say "piss off pussy cat" in the USA. There is a proposal in NZ to deport all cats to the Happy Hunting Ground and return NZ to its native habitat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html?_r=0

Guest Jovianmoon

2 Billion birds and 12 Billion mammals say "piss off pussy cat" in the USA. There is a proposal in NZ to deport all cats to the Happy Hunting Ground and return NZ to its native habitat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html?_r=0

Oh, no! The final solution to the feline question:shok:

Admittedly the reasoning is sound (more's the pity).

Guest timmberty

i sponcer a child thru the pattaya street kids organisation from england .. they get the money with no tax paid to the government.

im a bit of an animal lover also, and i'll feed a dog or a cat if i have something to hand when i walk past it ... which reminds me .. last year on my first night in bangkok i was rather drunk- like bouncing off walls and seeing double .. even tho i didnt think id drank to much .. anyhow as i was walking back to my hotel i came across a cat outside a family mart .. after having a sit down and a chat to it, i got up walked into the shop and bought a nice thick packet of ham (cats love ham if you didnt know) i took it out and whilst drinking a bottle of coke i fed the cat and continued our chat.

the ungratefull bugger buggered off as soon as the ham was all gone .. and left me to stagger home alone !!

but id much rather help out financially with a child sponcership than pay to an animal charity.

Guest thaiworthy

Koko, I can't find any reference to the NZ proposal in this article. Do you have another link? This is hardly the plan for a US solution. Whatever NZ states, it would seem reactionary in comparison to its US counterparts:

The Washington Humane Society and many other animal welfare organizations support the use of increasingly popular trap-neuter-return programs, in which unowned cats are caught, vaccinated, spayed and, if no home can be found for them, returned to the outdoor colony from which they came. Proponents see this approach as a humane alternative to large-scale euthanasia, and they insist that a colony of neutered cats can’t reproduce and thus will eventually disappear.

Please don't hurt Kitty Cats! More pictures from cats4youinpattaya:

IMG_2707_zps35e1b0d7.jpg

MammaandBabies_zps0503968e.jpg

Guest thaiworthy

Is this one of the prey the wild cats allegedly harm?

Looks more like that pesky critter Kokobird, which attacks the prime grape crop of the whole Napa Valley!

Kokobird_zps34dc4b9b.jpg

Guest thaiworthy

Here is the link to an article about the final solution for the cat problem in NZ

They do not necessarily favor euthanasia as far as I can tell. This is from the catstogo website which is referred to in the NY Times article:

http://garethsworld.com/catstogo/

So are you suggesting that I just go out and have my cat euthanised?

Not necessarily but that is an option. We appreciate the fact that you have an emotional connection with your pet and that pet ownership is a rewarding experience. But there’s a real problem with cats – they kill for pleasure, and most of that killing is out of your sight so probably out of your mind. If you think NZ’s native species are precious and should be fostered then it’s important you be a responsible cat owner. That means keep them inside 24 hours a day and if that’s impractical then when the time comes ensure this is the last cat you ever own.

Euthanasia is rarely an option. I don't believe cats kill out of pleasure. Rather, it is their natural survival instinct. Only man kills for pleasure.

These are more sensible options:

The key things you can actively do RIGHT NOW to minimise cats impacts on the environment are

1. Get a bell for your cat. They may be less than 50% effective but every bit counts [15]
  2. Get your cat neutered if it has not been already
  3. If you have a cat, keep it inside from now on.
  4. Overcome your denial, domestic cats are an environmental threat, don’t replace your cat.
  5. Sign this petition now lobbying local governments to require registration and micro-chipping of cats, to provide eradication facilities for unregistered cats, and encourage people to trap and turn in unwanted cats on their property.

Save the kitty cats! This is my cat who I gave to my ex-boyfriend in Texas. Nobody better hurt my cat!

Noel.jpg

Our friends, the cats:

229688.jpg

Guest fountainhall

i sponcer a child thru the pattaya street kids organisation from england .. they get the money with no tax paid to the government.

I think this is a great way to contribute to a worthwhile charity. There are surely few things more rewarding than seeing a young person you have helped be able to climb out of poverty, obtain an education and start to make their own way in life.

There is, however, one organisation that rather gives me the creeps - World Vision. Laying aside its religious background, I am sure it does a tremendous amount of good. It also raises vast sums. In 2008, wikipedia says its revenues were US$2.6 billion and that half of this was spent on child sponsorship schemes.  

But its admin costs are inevitably high. It employs 40,000 people, for example. Plus when I started receiving its bulky promotional materials, I first just threw them away. After a few more had arrived, I wrote to ask them to stop sending them to save expenditure. I wrote twice more - yet I continued to receive the materials for another few years! Now it has all started again here in Bangkok!

I am also wary of their claims about the child sponsorship monies going directly to the children. In ome cases, this has been proven to be false.

In a report on famine in Ethiopia, reporter Andrew Geoghegan, from Australian TV programme Foreign Correspondent, visited his 14 year old sponsor child. The girl has "been part of a World Vision program all her life" yet says (in translated subtitle) "Until recently, I didn't know I had a sponsor." and when asked about her knowledge of World Vision sponsorship says "Last time they gave me this jacket and a pen." Geoghegan was disconcerted to find that despite being "told by World Vision that [the girl] was learning English at school, and was improving...she speaks no English at all"

. . . "The World Vision representative failed to adequately respond to the questions and instead outlined the community projects where sponsor money is spent. Foreign Correspondent does not dispute the integrity of World Vision projects but questions the way sponsorship is promoted to the public. In its response, World Vision has ignored the reporter's surprise at finding his sponsor child speaks no English, yet he has been receiving regular reports from the organisation that she's learning English at school and has a good command of the language."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Vision_International

Gawd!  Those pussy photos remind me of that thread with the endless posting of ladyboy photos; best to get back on the topic of thinking before donating. ;)

Yeah, these bisexuals just can't get pussy off of their minds.

Guest timmberty

FH i think any organisation that is global will syphon off far more money that it will give to the charity. i do my little bit to help out little charities, global, you can stick em where the sun don't shine

Guest fountainhall

I think that's a great rule of thumb. I try to do the same. When my life ends, two small charities dealing with the education of poor kids in Thailand and Cambodia will gain some benefit. I see that as a small way of making amends for not having done nearly enough whilst alive.

The only exception I make to timmberty's 'rule' is to donate to Medecins Sans Frontiers when there are natural disasters that require urgent medical assistance - e.g. the Sichuan and Pakistan earthquakes.

Guest timmberty

i have only one life rule for my death, which is to make sure the last cheque i ever write bounces!!

i expect what little money i leave will go to a kids charity in thailand.

Guest thaiworthy

i have only one life rule for my death, which is to make sure the last cheque i ever write bounces!!

i expect what little money i leave will go to a kids charity in thailand.

You're going to write a bad check to a kid's charity in Thailand?