Guest fountainhall

The Gun Control Arguments

Guest fountainhall

The hugely successful author and gun owner, Stephen King, has added his weight to the debate with a passionate, angry essay pleading for gun law reform in the US. Titled “Guns", it was completed only on Friday and is available on Kindle for 99 cents.

King, who owns three hand guns -

aimed the expletive-peppered polemic at fellow gun-owners, calling on them to support a ban on automatic and semi-automatic weapons . . . "Autos and semi-autos are weapons of mass destruction. When lunatics want to make war on the unarmed and unprepared, these are the weapons they use," King wrote.

He said blanket opposition to gun control was less about defending the second amendment of the US constitution than "a stubborn desire to hold onto what they have, and to hell with the collateral damage". He added: "If that's the case, let me suggest that 'fuck you, Jack, I'm okay' is not a tenable position, morally speaking."

In folksy, salty prose which blends policy prescription with dark humour, King alternately cajoles, praises and insults gun advocates in what appears to be a genuine pitch to change their minds . . .

Much of the opposition to gun control stemmed from paranoia about the federal government, King argued. "These guys and gals actually believe that dictatorship will follow disarmament, with tanks in the streets of Topeka."

He assured gun owners that no one wanted to take away their hunting rifles, shotguns or pistols, as long as they held no more than 10 rounds. "If you can't kill a home invader (or your wife, up in the middle of the night to get a snack from the fridge) with ten shots, you need to go back to the local shooting range."

. . . In a line sure to affront the NRA, and delight the gun-control lobby, he added : "Plenty of gun advocates cling to their semi-automatics the way Amy Winehouse and Michael Jackson clung to the shit that was killing them."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jan/25/stephen-king-gun-control-essay-amazon-nra

Yes, I am addicted to my guns and I am afraid of a military takeover.  The addiction was caused by the fun I used to have shooting with my brother and dad when I was still a small child (eight), and fear of a military takeover came from having served four years in the army.  I would give more credibility to Mr. King's paranoia charge had he also spent some  time in the military where forced Christianity, sexism, racism, female rape and right wing politics are still quite prevalent especially in the ranks of the officer corp.  Just check out the reports coming out of the various academies and see if I am making it up.

PS IF YOU TYPE 8)    eight) you get a funny face