TotallyOz

Russian Duma gives first nod to nationwide ban on gay propaganda

The Russian Lower House has passed at the first reading a bill banning homosexual propaganda towards minors, which has already been labeled by opponents as anti-gay.

The bill was supported by 388 MPs with one vote against and one abstention.

The ban was submitted by deputies from the Novosibirsk Region in Siberia, who had earlier introduced similar local regulations. If approved, it would introduce heavy fines for the promotion of homosexuality among children. Those found guilty of the offence could be fined up to 5000 roubles (about $160), but the fines increase 10-fold for officials and 100-fold for companies.

Hearings were initially scheduled for December, but got postponed twice which caused some MPs to suggest that there must be some kind of a homosexual conspiracy which is desperate to prevent the law from coming into force.

Similar laws already exist in several Russian regions, including the country’s second-largest city St. Petersburg. The initiators of the federal ban say that homosexual propaganda in Russia is rife, both through the mass media and public action, and children are especially vulnerable as they cannot critically appraise “the avalanches of gay propaganda that fall upon them every day”.

The gay community strongly opposes the regulations, claiming the law lacks a precise legal definition of homosexuality, bisexuality and transgender. However, when they attempted to contest the law last year they were continually turned down right up to the Supreme Court.

http://rt.com/politics/russian-first-ban-gay-722/

That isn't real law. It is tactical "masking by smog" - now all power of opposition is used to critic this anti-gay law. But under cover of this masking Duma voted one more law: to transfer national reserve fund from control by national bank to control by private owned company "RosFinAgentstvo" ("Russian Financial Agency") . We are talking about 150 600 000 000 US $ now. I have no doubt - this company is controlled by Putin's relatives. Since Putin's stability is under question mark now - they use this way to secure their future.

Reason: using of National Fund within National Bank has strict regulation by law. Also Russian law not allow president or Duma or Government to issue orders to National Bank - it is independent organization - "forth power". 

When you refer to Putin's stability, do you mean his political position or his state of mind?

Nobody doubts about his mind here. Putin is still smart and guileful. I mean real signs of consolidation of power of opposition. At past 2012 year consolidation started to grow - from declaration to movement. They have Coordinating Council now.

Now almost all power of Putin's govt. machine is using for compromise and separation of opposition: they really afraid this movement. Some public protests here on Moscow streets were up to 100 000 people in 2012.

That doesn't mean Putin's regime will fall at next few month, but picture of Russian political scene is different then is was 2-3 years ago.

Guest fountainhall

Moses, I am going to St. Petersburg for a few days in August. Is it safe to go to any gay bars/clubs, or should these be avoided, given the regime's growing anti-gay stance.

Moses, I am going to St. Petersburg for a few days in August. Is it safe to go to any gay bars/clubs, or should these be avoided, given the regime's growing anti-gay stance.

If you will use official taxi door-to-door, then it is safe.

Be ready: due strong homophobia there are just a few gay clubs in SPb. Just 2 or 3, no official bars and may be 1 or 2 saunas. Be ready if nobody form staff speak English. 

Don't show your preferences outside of gay-clubs. Don't pickup somebody from club to hotel - you will face troubles with security staff, also you will must to register your guest at reception as a guest of hotel. If you want "adventures" - do it in gay-saunas. Don't drink any drinks which are offered to you by strangers and watch your drinks while you are in club or sauna. Watch your phone and money cuz pickpocketing is wide in use there: police will not take your complains if you will tell to police what you got troubles in gay-club and pickpocketers know that. 

By the way: people are angry on govt even more than they are angry on gays. Today joke from TV: "If you will stay in front of the Senate with banner "GO TO HELL FAGGOTS!!!" then only a few people will think what you are supporting new law about gay-propaganda there".

Today joke from TV: "If you will stay in front of the Senate with banner "GO TO HELL FAGGOTS!!!" then only a few people will think what you are supporting new law about gay-propaganda there".

Nice one! I had to read that a few times before it sank in.

Guest thaiworthy

After what Moses said, I'd take care of business and just get out. Not worth the risk at all, IMHO. These days, I never thought Play Safely could refer to anything but condoms.