TotallyOz

Looking for Law Firm in LOS

Guest mauRICE

We are trying to get more information on our closure and the site. We will need to hire a law firm in order to do this.

Did you get this sorted out?

No not yet. I have contacted 4 law firms so far and have gotten no response from them on the issue.

GayPattaya has been very helpful with advice and I am following up on some of his leads.

Other than that, no one on this board gave any suggestions. I made a post to ThaiVisa and it the post was closed that day as they said they didn't want the censors closing them down.

I am open to suggestions.

Guest jomtien

No not yet. I have contacted 4 law firms so far and have gotten no response from them on the issue.

GayPattaya has been very helpful with advice and I am following up on some of his leads.

Other than that, no one on this board gave any suggestions. I made a post to ThaiVisa and it the post was closed that day as they said they didn't want the censors closing them down.

I am open to suggestions.

SwissSiam Law Firm were good helping me deal with my house. Not sure if they're good with internet weirdness. I think they were at Threppasit and Soi 10.

At the moment, at least, your web site is not blocked. Neither is the Sawatdee forum. I just tried both and got right in, with no problem at all. I have no idea whether the blocks have been lifted or if it's a temporary thing. When these blocks first began appearing, I remember my web site would sometimes be up and running normally and sometimes it would be blocked. Maybe you'll be lucky and the blocking is finally lifted for all these sites . . . blocks that were illegal in the first place. We'll see.

Sadly this afternoon both sites are Govenment blocked from Thailand.

Well, they're not blocked this evening. It's 10:00 PM here and I just got in again without encountering any blocking, which is kind of strange since you seem to be encountering it. I wonder if different ISPs are enabling and disabling the blocking, although I would have thought if a web site is blocked, then it's blocked, period. Maybe it doesn't work that way. In any case, I've gotten through withno problem both times I tried today. We'll see if it's the same story tomorrow.

Guest mauRICE

My reply may have been superceded by current events as it appears that the blocks have been removed.

I was going to suggest that you forget about taking any legal action. This is a question of public policy and not cyber law and you would be up against a Thai government ministry. It would be tough to find a lawyer to represent you especially in the current 'wait-and-see' political climate ('wait and see if there are any spoils coming my way') and nobody wants to be a political martyr for a farang with a dodgy cause.

Put it in another way: you're a foreigner, you live in Pattaya, you own and run a Web site that could easily be construed as anathema to the Thai public interest - in short, you have no locus standi. There's nothing the Thai authorities would like more than to shift the blame of prostitution onto foreigners even though statistics consistently show that 95% of the Thai prostitution industry is generated and consumed by locals. They can paint you as a whoremonger with one stroke of the keyboard and a generous lashing of that famous Thai self-righteousness. In pristine, wholesome Chiang Mai, two of the biggest whorehouses regularly advertise on local radio, even sponsoring some shows popular with daytime listeners. I don't hear them getting shut - probably because they are owned by a group of powerful politicians and senior policemen.

It's best to lie low in these circumstances. You don't want to be attracting more attention to yourself than you already have. This shall pass. I doubt if the order for the blocks came from the top. It's probably some minion out to score some political brownie points for himself. TIT.

Nevertheless, if you need legal assistance for whatever reason, a reputable, established law firm I would recommend is Tilleke and Gibbons (http://www.tillekeandgibbins.com). They have taken politically sensitive cases in the past including representing the four FEER journalists whose expulsion and blacklisting were sought by the Interior Ministry a few years ago.