Guest ogtvisitor

Getting Started: the basics ?

Guest ogtvisitor

OK - so I've been to Bangkok years ago and always had fun. Now I'm 50; married and needing to be discreet and safe. Will be staying in a high end luxury hotel for 3 days and don't want to waste time. Here are my questions:

1. What are the 'don't miss' go-go bar(s) ?

2. How can I find a really good quality massage (outcall at my hotel) for when I land ?

3. What are the higher end sauna's that have good spa services ?

Other tips ?

Much appreciated.

post-13412-0-77147200-1356464354_thumb.jpg

Pick up a copy of OUT In Thailand magazine - that'll probably answer your questions. I expect the December issue has been out for a week or two by now.

Here is a link to it so you can read it before you come:

http://www.out-in-thailand.com/

By the way, has anyone seen the December issue with the interview with Sir Ian McKellan in it?

Is it worth reading? If so, I'll look it up on the website.

Guest fountainhall

Out in Thailand has a lot of information, and most of the directory section is pretty much up to date. Personally, I don't think any of the go-go bars in Bangkok are 'unmissable' now, but that may just be because i've lived here quite a while. Friends are taking me to Jupiter at the end of the week which I have not visited for years. I'll report back later.

Saunas/Spa/Massage - Probably best to start at Babylon, although I have no idea what their massage service is like. Chakran also has both sauna and massage within the same building, but it is now basically for young Thais meeting other young Thais (or other young Asians). Has anyone been recently? Is that a fair assessment?

Can't help with out call massage.

By the way, has anyone seen the December issue with the interview with Sir Ian McKellan in it?

Yes I picked up a copy last week-end. There's a lot of background material and a lot of promotion for "The Hobbit". But there are some nice personal touches there, especially one about a 'do' at Buckingham Palace when he was dancing with Judi Dench and they got up to some behaviour unbecoming! I won't reveal any more.

Guest timmberty

o my post has varnished .. like an old oak door .. maybe its normal for a person in need of disgression to have a picture of themselves in their first ever post ... i didnt realise ...

IMO if a new member comes on the scene and asks for advice, even if his motives appear somewhat suspect, i.e. saying he appreciates discretion and at the same time posting a photo, (presumably of himself, although he might just be playing cat and mouse - who knows?) then, at least to begin with, we should give him the benefit of the doubt. Your original post, Timmberty, was skating on thin ice IMO.

Guest thaiworthy

At first, I thought the photo was suspect too, but in this day and age of social media, i.e. Facebook, it looks like anonymity is being displaced, and that's not a bad idea. Cropped a bit, it might even make a good avatar.

3 days is not much time and I wouldn't try to fulfill all three objectives in this one visit, IMHO. Soi Duangthawee, as Z said, or Soi Twilight as it's known, is a good place to visit. I don't think massages in your hotel room with acquaint you with much of Thailand, and saunas can be time-consuming to find what you want.

Z909 gave very good advice.