Guest fountainhall

Les Misérables Movie Garners Rave Reviews

Guest fountainhall

Just for interest the movie version of one of the most popular musicals of all time had its world premiere in London last night, and is due to hit many screens later this month. "Les Misérables" was a near critical disaster when it opened in London all of 27 years ago, but the public adored it – and the world has gone on adoring it ever since. 60 million have already seen it.

Unlike the second-rate movie version of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Phantom of the Opera”, producer Cameron Mackintosh has pulled out all the stops for the film version of "Les Mis" – and this time most of the critics seem to be loving it. The Independent this morning says -

To say that Les Miserables is going to be a hit is putting it mildly. Unlike the opening night of Trevor Nunn’s Barbican production, which produced poor reviews but staggering box office, this new production – which gives the characters of Jean Valjean, Fantine, Cosette a forever life – is going to go down in history for the way it tells a musical tale on the big screen . . .

The result is performances that are raw, real and devastating in their emotional punch; a camera stays tight on Anne Hathaway’s Fantine for the entire 3 minutes of her "I Dreamed A Dream" and, if at all possible, the impact is even greater than on the stage, so overwhelming, literally, is the performance . . .

Great set numbers like At The End Of The Day or Master Of The House are transposed to the screen with sensitivity, imagination, and supreme craftsmanship - bringing to a much larger and more vivid life than has ever been possible before, the story of Victor Hugo’s everyman, Jean Valjean . . .

Cameron Mackintosh and Alain Boublil and Claude Michel Schoenberg have waited 27 years to make this show into a movie, with directors including Steven Spielberg variously vying for the gig. They were right to wait and right to pounce on Tom Hooper when he came along. He’s reinvented the movie musical and created a whole new generation of Les Mis lovers. It’s a dream nobody could have dreamed.

Hugh Jackman is a natural singer, but few would have thought that Russell Crowe or Anne Hathaway could sing their way through a filmed musical as the cameras were rolling. This is what director Tom Hooper (“The King’s Speech”) insisted on, rather than the usual method of recording the voices and orchestra first and then having the singers ‘mouth’ their way through the numbers.

Not all reviews are so effusive. The Guardian and The Hollywood Reporter are not won over, but I’ll bet most follow The Independent. And I reckon the film will garner a slew of Oscars.

The movie also comes in an iMax version. It opens in some countries on Christmas Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEq7QRqNMyg

I am glad to hear of the rave reviews. Although I never saw the stage production of Les Mis I have seen a number of various film versions of Les Miserables including both Engish and French and did read the book, in French, of course.

Looking forward to seeing this latest film version.

Guest fountainhall

It's quite interesting that the whole "Les Mis" saga was one huge leap of faith by the original London producer Cameron Mackintosh. First, there had been absolutely no history of the 'musical' genre in France. It's almost as though the French look down on the musical form. But in 1980, two writers of pop songs, Alain Boublil and Claude Michel Schoenberg turned "Les Misérables" into a musical and it had a respectable but short run in Paris. 3 years later, someone sent Mackintosh - then a young producer with one mega hit on his hands, CATS, and a few lesser ones - cassettes of that Paris production, suggesting he should present it in London.

Mackintosh was reluctant, feeling that part of the storyline and the lyrics needed too much reworking. But he had a hunch that he could make something of it. For a time, he sat on the idea. Then he asked others for their views and had a colleague work on the book and lyrics. He was still daunted by the cost and the risk, however. So he approached Britain's Royal Shakespeare Company about going into a joint venture for a 12-week run in London in 1985. The resultant production was then panned by almost all the critics, and its death after those 12 weeks was confidently predicted.

Within a matter of days, Mackintosh and the show's director, Sir Trevor Nunn (who had also directed CATS), realised that the public's reaction was totally the opposite of the critics. They loved the show. Mackintosh took a major gamble. He spent money he did not have on a short, sharp aggressive marketing campaign. Within days, word of mouth soon had all seats sold out. The show's run was extended, it moved into a larger theatre, and with Mackintosh using all his formidable skills in the marketing of musicals, audiences continued to clamour for tickets as it spread its wings to Broadway and around the world. To the billions of £s generated from the box office will now be added hundreds of millions more, many to the coffers of the most successful theatrical producer in the world of the last three decades.

Less well known is the fact that this will continue to benefit Mackintosh’s partner in the venture. The Royal Shakespeare company, the nursery for many of Britain’s greatest actors, has benefitted to the tune of more than £20 million from its association. It continues to do so from a small slice of the revenues from all the productions around the world, and I assume will continue to do so with the movie.

And it was all the result of a hunch and an act of faith! Now why didn't I think of that :wacko:

Guest fountainhall

Great marketing idea on how to sell yet another "Les Mis" DVD in 17 different countries!

The Japanese singer is better known internationally as the host of the "Iron Chef" TV series. I saw him some time ago as the Phantom in a production in Sapporo. Although it was all in Japanese, when it came to the point where he expressed his love for Christine, he said, "Chwistine, I wuv you!"

At the party afterwards, I discovered he spoke good English and so asked why he made that English sentence sound so Japanese. "Because if I pronounced it correctly, many in the audience would not understand it," was the reply!

Les Mis was the first musical I ever saw that was a true professional production. I was simply amazed that something like that was on a stage. Growing up very poor and in the deep South, our community theater had a few plays each year but I think the budget was under 100 USD. So, when I saw this my first time in undergraduate school, it opened my eyes to a totally new world. I was lucky enough to get away from the South for my education as I was given a scholarship in a good east coast school. I saw Les Mis during this time and I was just floored. Since then, I have seen it over 30 times in 4 countries. I still love it and it played a very important role in me moving to NYC later in my life.

I can't wait to see this movie! I hope it comes to Pattaya but if not, I'll be headed to Bangkok to see it.

Guest jomtien

off topic....

Oh Michael....enough of the "poor southern boy" routine. We all know that you, as a good ol' boy growing up, had advantages the rest of us could only dream of. You got to have sex with the farm animals as much as you wanted. You got to make dinner with parts of animals even butchers didn't know existed. You were free to marry your 12 year old first cousin. And you didn't need to waste money on an extensive wardrobe....a simple white sheet sufficed! You had it all!

and back to topic....

I bet you didn't know that a hog needs to be castrated for about 90 days before being killed in order for the meat to taste better?

Sounds like a nutty idea to me but it makes me happy not to have been a hog, I suppose. I would have probably bet 5 baht yesterday that Khun FH did not anticipate that his Les Miserables thread would end up talking about hog castration! :blink:

Sounds like a nutty idea to me but it makes me happy not to have been a hog, I suppose. I would have probably bet 5 baht yesterday that Khun FH did not anticipate that his Les Miserables thread would end up talking about hog castration! :blink:

Bob, sausage is usually put on bread. What did the main character in Les Mis go to jail for? (trivia question)

Bob, sausage is usually put on bread. What did the main character in Les Mis go to jail for? (trivia question)

Hmmm.....I'm beginning to see the origins of your thought patterns. Khun FH and I will donate a case of Prozac.....

But, back to your question, the main character did commit the heinous act (amongst other offenses) of stealing bread for his starving relatives. Had he (I'm guessing you're thinking) simply married the hog (with family jewels intact), perhaps he and the hog could have lived happily ever after comparing and/or compressing sausage between them.

Guest fountainhall

I would have probably bet 5 baht yesterday that Khun FH did not anticipate that his Les Miserables thread would end up talking about hog castration! :blink:

You'd be surprised what goes through my mind sometimes! But I suspect you'd have won your bet - on this occasion. Now, when will they decide who caused that Delta/Air France A380 spin at JFK so I can collect that bet :D (Yes, I know you have forgotten about it - but I haven't!!)

Khun FH and I will donate a case of Prozac.....

Do I have any say in the matter?? :o

Guest fountainhall

The Screen Actors Guild nominations were announced yesterday with “Lincoln” and "Les Misérables" dominating the nominees, along with a romantic comedy “Silver Linings Playbook”.

“Les Mis” is up for four Awards ­– Hugh Jackman as Best Male Actor, Anne Hathaway as Best Female Supporting Actor, Best Ensemble in a movie and Best Stunt Ensemble. “Lincoln” is also up for four. Inevitably Daniel Day Lewis is there for Best Male Actor joined by Sally Field as Best Female Supporting Actor, Tommy Lee Jones as Supporting Actor and Best Ensemble in a movie.

The most nominations for an individual go to the wonderful Dame Maggie Smith: two for “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” and two for her role as the Dowager Duchess in “Downton Abbey”.

Guest fountainhall

Now the Golden Globe nominations have been announced with “Les Mis” and its four nominations being easily pipped by the seven for “Lincoln”.

The three British Dames are again in the running. “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” features with nods for Judi Dench and Best Picture (Musical or Comedy). Helen Mirren is nominated for Best Actress in a Drama for her role in “Hitchcock”. And Maggie Smith, in addition to yet another nomination for TV Best Supporting Actress in “Downton Abbey”, has a second as Best Actress (Musical or Comedy) for “Quartet”, in which she plays an aging diva consigned to a retirement home for opera singers. This, Dustin Hoffman’s directorial debut, seems rather similar to “The Best Little Marigold Hotel” and boasts an equally stellar British cast, including Billy Connolly, Michael Gambon and Tom Courtenay.

“Lincoln” is also up for four. Inevitably Daniel Day Lewis is there for Best Male Actor joined by Sally Field as Best Female Supporting Actor, Tommy Lee Jones as Supporting Actor and Best Ensemble in a movie.

Just saw Lincoln today; excellent drama. Daniel Day Lewis was very convincing as was Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones. James Spader was also in the film but could not recognize him . And Thaiworthy's heart throb, Joseph Gordon Levitt stared as Robert Lincoln, Abe's eldest son.

On my own..(song from Les Miserables)

Yes, I was on my own when I first caught the musical in San Francisco back in the 1990.

It was at Curran Theatre.. still existing?

Well I next caught it at, ahem, Singapore's Kallang Theatre in 1993.

Both times, I sang along when this song came out. ...

.. crying out for that elusive man out there

Enjoy the lyrics:

And now I'm all alone again nowhere to turn, no one to go to

without a home without a friend without a face to say hello to

And now the night is near

Now I can make believe he's here

Sometimes I walk alone at night

When everybody else is sleeping

I think of him and then I'm happy

With the company I'm keeping

The city goes to bed

And I can live inside my head

On my own

Pretending he's beside me

All alone

I walk with him till morning

Without him

I feel his arms around me

And when I lose my way I close my eyes

And he has found me

In the rain the pavement shines like silver

All the lights are misty in the river

In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight

And all I see is him and me forever and forever

And I know it's only in my mind

That I'm talking to myself and not to him

And although I know that he is blind

Still I say, there's a way for us

I love him

But when the night is over

He is gone

The river's just a river

Without him

The world around me changes

The trees are bare and everywhere

The streets are full of strangers

I love him

But every day I'm learning

All my life

I've only been pretending

Without me

His world will go on turning

A world that's full of happiness

That I have never known

I love him

I love him

I love him

But only on my own

Guest fountainhall

Maggie Smith . . . has a second as Best Actress (Musical or Comedy) for “Quartet”, in which she plays an aging diva consigned to a retirement home for opera singers.

There's an interesting long background interview in today's Guardian with Dustin Hoffman. Not much is written about his directorial debut "Quartet", but there is one fun little observation about working with Maggie Smith.

It's funny that somebody with your reputation has cast the fearsome Smith in one of the lead roles, I say. Was he scared of her? "I was forewarned." Of what? "Oh, that she can destroy you if you bullshit her, and I said, 'Well, that I certainly won't do.' And when we met, we sat on a couch and I said to her, 'I think we both have the same reputation of being hard on directors.' And she said, 'Some.' And I said, 'Yes, I can say the same thing.' And she's brilliant."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/dec/14/dustin-hoffman-interview-simon-hattenstone