ChristianPFC

Misleading book title

Misleading book title

While I was waiting for boarding for my flight back to Germany, I saw this at Suwannaphum Airport:

DSCN5135.jpg

I have been around gay Thailand forums for too long, so I was actually mislead into believing ...! After a stroll through the bookstore I came back and found someone taking a picture (after arranging the book so you can see the whole cover). I took a look inside and was relieved: Poo is the author’s nickname (ปู bpoo = crab).

Checking on the internet, I found these links:

http://www.cookingwithpoo.com/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/mar/30/cooking-with-poo-oddest-title-prize

A Century of Sand Dredging in the Bristol Channel: Volume Two by Peter Gosson (Amberley Publishing)

Cooking with Poo by Saiyuud Diwong (Urban Neighbours of Hope)

Estonian Sock Patterns All Around the World by Aino Praakli (Kirjastus Elmatar)

The Great Singapore Penis Panic: And the Future of American Mass Hysteria by Scott D Mendelson (Createspace)

Mr Andoh's Pennine Diary: Memoirs of a Japanese Chicken Sexer in 1935 Hebden Bridge by Stephen Curry and Takayoshi Andoh (Royd Press)

A Taxonomy of Office Chairs by Jonathan Olivares (Phaidon)

The Mushroom in Christian Art by John A Rush (North Atlantic Books)

My favorite odd book title is:„Der gegenläufige Doppelschneckenextruder“ (in English: „The counter-rotating twin-screw extruder“).

A restaurant here in Chiangmai along Nimmanhaemin once had a large hand-written sign outside that announced "Fresh Poo" (which of course was trying to announce that they then had fresh crab). And, speaking of crab, I've seen more than once on menus here in Thailand the word "crap" in English to represent "crab." Sometimes you just have to laugh.

Riveting stuff - the following link has a slide show of the Diagram's shortlist!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/gallery/2012/feb/24/diagram-prize-oddest-title-2012#/?picture=386395437&index=0

Some previous winners:

Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice.

Greek Rural Postmen and Their Cancellation Numbers

Highlights in the History of Concrete

Bombproof Your Horse.

Here is another funny book title:

I suppose the phrase "making more milk" in isolation is a bit odd but, other than that, I'm somewhat missing why you think the title is funny. It's all about how mothers can help their bodies produce/make more milk for their newborns.

Guest fountainhall

The world is awash with titles for a thread like this -

post-1892-0-94186900-1352341814_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-37093300-1352341830_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-74847500-1352341919_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-42925400-1352341845_thumb.jpeg

post-1892-0-49481300-1352341869_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-39498800-1352341882_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-80601000-1352341898_thumb.jpg

Heck, there's even one for HeyGay - The New Well-Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed ;) It's available at amazon.com for US$8.76 plus shipping.

post-1892-0-56245200-1352342610_thumb.jpg

Want to read about Ragged Dick by Horatio Alger? In this series a generous man would always rescue a street boy from a life of poverty.

Christian, not sure if you know but dick is another word for cock or penis although not necessarily when the book was written.

Also boot blacks and newsies (boys selling news papers) were known to supplement their income.

post-9743-0-82142000-1352473066_thumb.png