firecat69

Have the Russians taken over Walking Street

I have a mostly straight friend visiting for 2 days and he lived here in Pattaya for 2 years.

He went out on Walking Street Bars looking for a girl for the night. What he found was ridiculous prices for the girls compared to 2 years ago.

Off fees were at least 600 baht and minimum for the girl was 2000 or mostly 2500 in advance. He even had some quotes of 5000 girl included. All the girls referred him to mamasan to make any deals and everything is paid in advance.

This is a young (27) year old guy who has lots of experience on Walking Street and many times would arrange meeting after work etc. All the girls said no to this.

In other words there is a huge change in how these Girlie GoGo Bars operate and what the girls charge.

Since I can't imagine the quality of the customer has improved so much in 2 years that they will pay almost double the prices, I wonder if the Russian Mafia has taken over some of the key bars and is calling the tune now.

For those of you who complain about the high prices for the gay bars , thank your lucky stars you don't need to find a Lady.

I told him not to waste his time but to take the 19 year old cutie at ToyBoys who had a better Ass then any of those girls and all for 400 off fee and 1000 baht tip.

Guest thaiworthy
I told him not to waste his time but to take the 19 year old cutie at ToyBoys who had a better Ass then any of those girls and all for 400 off fee and 1000 baht tip.

I would have suggested this as well. Is this cutie a ladyboy? Do you think he might like to try a ladyboy?

I would have suggested this as well. Is this cutie a ladyboy? Do you think he might like to try a ladyboy?

Definitely not a Ladyboy but small and young looking with a smile that would melt an iceberg along with eyes that would seize your heart. I guess I better go back there tonight before someone removes him from the market. HeHe

Guest fountainhall

There has been a lot of talk about the Russian mafia's influence in Pattaya. There was even one article not so long ago about how it had virtually taken over Phuket - although this claim was made by a maverick MP without producing much evidence.

http://www.bangkokpo...controls-phuket

This long article on the Thailand Law Forum published on October 1st may be a more accurate summary of the situation. But it does not make comfortable reading.

In the 1980s, Thailand received a mere trickle of visitors from the Soviet Union, mostly dignitaries and “privileged citizens” worthy of representing a dying regime abroad. Post-1989, visitor numbers of Russian tourists to Thailand soared. In 2009, almost 300,000 tourists from the former Soviet republics visited the Kingdom. In their wake, and sensing opportunity, Russian mafia organizations established themselves soon thereafter. While Pattaya was previously dominated by German restaurants, it is nowadays flush with Russian eateries – and the Russian mob, of course. Many of those cozy restaurants are little more than money laundering operations.

With the mob also arrived Eastern European prostitutes, virtually unheard of prior to 1989. Bangkok’s downtown area around Sukhumvit Soi 3 to 15 has matured into a “hub” of which Thailand can hardly be proud.

http://www.thailawfo...ia-in-thailand/

Footnote: arrivals from Russia jumped from 300,000 to one million in just two years.

Sorry for late reply. I was laughing too hard because during those 2 years his first choice was always a LadyBoy. He did mention that the quality of LadyBoys had gone way up but so had the prices. HeHe

Still should have taken the cute 19 year old at ToyBoys which is where I might head right now.

It is very interesting to me. I have noticed a great deal more Russians on this visit than in the past. I have also seen many signs now in Russian.

What I am curious about is the pay up front thing. I have never seen this in Thailand. Is this common in other areas? Have others noticed this here in gay bars, lady bars or ladyboy bars? Is this just a Walking Street thing that one bar did and now others are catching on?

Off fees were at least 600 baht and minimum for the girl was 2000 or mostly 2500 in advance. He even had some quotes of 5000 girl included. All the girls referred him to mamasan to make any deals and everything is paid in advance.

Coincidentally, whilst doing some google searches for a hotel last night, I found the following quote:

"The key factor to remember about the girls of Pattaya is they are here to make as much money as they can each and every time they can. Some ask for ridiculous amounts on the basis there is always a sucker out there somewhere. Most recognize they have to cut their cloth to suit. If a potential bed partner is clearly a first-timer then the price for her services may well be pitched high; if the customer can speak some Thai and knows his way around then the girl is likely to be more realistic".

As for Russians paying up front, well if their frequently ignorant behaviour extends to not tipping the girls after the event, then no wonder they have to pay in advance.

Hopefully, other customers will not be tarred with the same brush.

Russians on walking street, shouldn't be much of a problem, as there's no real reason for a gay gentleman to venture down there. Russians behaving badly on the gay beach, or in the shops and restaurants in the rest of town is more of a problem.

We probably need to get used to it. I think the income tax rate in Russia is about 13%, so anyone making some proper money can probably afford to travel.

Well done to them. That's a much better idea than the EU model, where the poor taxpayer has to share a high percentage of his income with people who never ever intend to work for a living.

Nice quote but it does not apply here. First of all as I stated my friend has lots of experience on Walking Street. He lived in Pattaya for 2 years and knows the game inside and out. The game has changed. He was in at least 6 Bars and the story was as I stated in all of them. Pay up front, price was high to ridiculous and no ability to meet girl after hours. Mamasan always had to be involved and money always had to be paid in advance.

Now certainly there are more then 6 Bars on Walking Street but all the Bars my friend went to were GoGo Bars with Thai girls and popular like Angel Witch.

The Game is being changed and most likely the Russian Mafia is responsible.

I have noticed a great deal more Russians on this visit than in the past. I have also seen many signs now in Russian.

It may be accelerating, but it's been going on for at least 8 years. I first visited Pattaya in 2004, and there were a few hand-written Russian signs around then. Now, for example, I have seen I several restaurants with Russian sections in their menus.

Let me fix some "legends", as I'm living in Russia.

1. "Russian mafia" don't exist, at least in Russia - since Putin took 1-st chair in Russia at the begin of the century, all secret services in Russia got "green light" to destroy mafia here and... took mafia's place at the market. :)

Process was quick and very strong. Alot of criminal was just killed without any court. Result: no mafia anymore inside of Russia. For sure criminality exist, but they arent whole-country organized criminal groups.

2. Point 1 leads us to next: mafia in Pattaya can has russian members, but anyway - it isn't "russian mafia" but something international.

3. About russian flow to Pattaya (and Thailand) - you can breath freely: this season flow of russians will lower than in 2011 - airlines rise price for tickets almost twice, so budget travelers from Russia will switch their ways to Egypt and Morocco again like 3 years before...

4 One more word about "russians": not everyone who is speaking russian is Russian (i.e. citizen of Russian Federation): after USSR has been divided to 15 countries almost 100 000 000 exUSSSR citizens got foreign citizenship in their countries. They aren't "russian" but about 70% of them are native russain speakers.

5. Last legend about 13% taxation of income in Russia. Yes it is 13%. BUT before worker will receive his salary company will deduct from salary 36% of taxes to govt. pension fund and medical insurance. Only after it from rest money will deducted 13% and only then worker will receive salary.

P.S. I'm sorry for my limited English :)

Moses,

Sounds like to me that you are saying the Government Mafia replaced the Russian Mafia. Same thing going on just different people at the head stealing . Your statement about the flow of russians does not meet the statistics kept by the Thai government which show many times more visitors in 2012 then 2011.

Since it is the Thai government that takes the passports, I assume they know the difference between a Russian passport and and passports from former republics of the Soviet Union. That being the case I am referring to Russians.

Moses,

Sounds like to me that you are saying the Government Mafia replaced the Russian Mafia. Same thing going on just different people at the head stealing . Your statement about the flow of russians does not meet the statistics kept by the Thai government which show many times more visitors in 2012 then 2011.

Yes, but the main dif. btw. Govt.Mafia and formerly "Russian Mafia" is - "Govt. Mafia don't works behind borders of Russia - they have no interest for it.

About flow and statistic - it was about 2012/2013 season: it will start from 1 of November with "winter" schedule of flights. If at past season prices started from about US$300 two-way MOW-BKK, now lowest prices are starting from US$750.

Thanks for clarifying the cost of air fares from Moscow to Bangkok, Moses.

That's a big jump so I wonder what sort of Russians will come?

It might not deter the sex tourists, I expect now they know what's available in Pattaya it'll still be cheaper than using a hooker back home (but that's just a guess - I have no idea what Russian prostitutes charge on their home turf).

Perhaps the families with kids will be the ones who are priced out of the market. Pattaya will get even sleazier.

But that's all speculation on my part.

Back to the cost of a girly off in Walking street. If you went with high expectation to your favourite restaurant in Pattaya, and was just about to order your favourite dish and you noticed menu prices had jumped by between 50 and 100%, you'd jolly well make your feelings known to the manager, telling him you wouldn't be back until he 'got real'. You'd tell all your friends, and in no time the only people eating in that restaurant would be tourists 'fresh off the boat', probably unaware they were being strung along. The restaurant might manage to stay afloat during tourist high season but come the low season and the lack of customers it'd have to close.

Unfortunately prostitution doesn't work that way.