Guest fountainhall

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: Movie

Guest fountainhall

I rarely post about a movie, but having stocked up with a few some days ago I have just been entranced watching the curiously named “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel”. Knowing nothing about it (it was released earlier this year), I picked it up purely on account of a stunning cast – those two glorious Dames, Judi Dench and Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Nighy and Penelope Wilton – and because it was directed by John Madden (Mrs. Brown and Shakespeare in Love, both of which also starred Judi Dench). Dev Patel, the Slumdog Millionaire, also stars.

The movie starts in London with a disparate group of British pensioners who for various reasons decide to retire to a supposedly luxurious sanctuary for the elderly in Jaipur in India’s Rajasthan. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel turns out not to be quite as advertised, but it and India affects each of them in many different ways. The film may have a cliché or two too many but it is beautifully directed, gloriously acted, at times hilarious, at others moving and romantic. There is even a gay element – but to say more will give too much away.

I suspect it will garner a few Oscar nominations!

Yes, a great small performance by Tom Wilkinson, and the rest of the cast. However, a little much on Dev Patel and not enough of Maggie Smith. Judy Dench carried the movie.

Guest fountainhall

Judi Dench is always a joy to watch, but I felt Penelope Wilton gave the Oscar performance. Nice to see her and Maggie Smith away from their very different "Downton Abbey" roles.

Friends of mine suggested I see this movie before I went to India. I saw it recently and I loved it. I thought it was beautifully done and acted. I loved the story and the characters. I also thought it portrayed India pretty accurately in many ways. :)