Guest fountainhall

Travel Destination Question

..maybe Laos? Might be able to convince BF for that one. :D

Laos is a great destination for a falung to visit with a Thai companion. I took my friend who, like many, came from the Isarn, to Laos once and he loved it. I don't speak Thai but I believe the Isarn dialect is similar to that spoken in Laos. Mixing with the local boys he made loads of friends very quickly. Also, Laos is easy and cheap to get to.

Ceejay has been to Laos and has been far more adventurous and visited far more places than me.

Guest fountainhall

Some great places have been listed. But i am surprised that with a distance-no-object business class ticket most posters are choosing to go somewhere relatively close to either Thailand or their home base. Firecat69, Michael and Khor Tose seems to be the most adventurous. The Peruvian Andes are amazing, and Cusco, Macchu Pichu and the surrounding valleys make a fabulous vacation, although Patagonia and other parts of the content are quite amazing.

No-one seems to fancy Australia! I thought that strange since Sydney is a stunning city and has a large Asian gay population.

. Firecat69, Michael and Khor Tose seems to be the most adventurous. The Peruvian Andes are amazing, and Cusco, Macchu Pichu and the surrounding valleys make a fabulous vacation, although Patagonia and other parts of the content are quite amazing.

I cannot deny those mentioned are more adventurous than I. I opted for Rio and Brazil and whilst agreeing it isn't as lung-burstingly stretching as Macchu Pichu and the rest, it is still quite an adventure if you haven't been before (I sincerely hope so anyway!) and would be my first time in S.Am.

Much as I'd love to visit the high Andes I daren't as my ticker might not like the rarified atmosphere. Also, not that it would put me off assuming my heart was sound, one hears of tourists getting altitude sickness. I believe it can affect even normally healthy people. Perhaps some of us are just unlucky and there is some predisposition to it that you are unaware of until you get off the plane in Cuzco.

No-one seems to fancy Australia! I thought that strange since Sydney is a stunning city and has a large Asian gay population.

Maybe because many of us have already visited Australia and the rules state it has to be a new country.

Laos is a great destination for a falung to visit with a Thai companion.

I agree entirely. Laos is a great destination. And as you say, it's cheap.

So if I won the hypothetical competition prize in the opening post, my all expenses paid hotel would be in a more expensive location.

agreeing it isn't as lung-burstingly stretching as Macchu Pichu a

Much as I'd love to visit the high Andes I daren't as my ticker might not like the rarified atmosphere. Also, not that it would put me off assuming my heart was sound, one hears of tourists getting altitude sickness. I believe it can affect even normally healthy people.

Agree you can suffer from both things and that is why I want to go before i get to old. :unsure:

Guest fountainhall

The problem with Cusco is that almost the only way to get there is flying from Lima - so, sea level to 3,400 meters up in one go. Some pretty fit people can suffer from altitude sickness, but they are the ones who tend to overdo things as soon as they arrive. I started taking taking altitude sickness pills 36 hours before the flight. I then did what all the guidebooks suggest: on arrival I drank some of the cocoa tea and just lay on the bed reading and resting for 4 hours before venturing out and slowly walking around. By the following morning, I was able to do a full day sightseeing.

Guest thaiworthy

KoKo, where is this? If it is in Antarctica, I would love to go. I would like to make all seven continents

Yes, the geographic South Pole in Antarctica.

Koko is being coy. Must be another puzzle. Nice try, Khun Koko.

This is the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station. The only reason I recognized the very distinctive building in Kokopelli's photo was because it was featured on a National Geographic Special I had seen a few weeks ago. (I love science!) The story was mainly about the problems with constructing the elevated station and all the specifications needed to comply with building codes, etc. A very entertaining view.

http://en.wikipedia....th_Pole_Station

The Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station is an American scientific research station at the Geographic South Pole, the southernmost place on the Earth. The station is located on the high plateau of Antarctica at an elevation of 2,835 meters (9301 feet) above sea level.

One of the reasons I live in Thailand is that I eventually began to detest the cold winter weather in northern Michigan. The last friggin' place I'd ever want to go is the north or south pole! Plus, how the heck exciting can it be to visit the south pole station?!? Spoiler alert - it's white eveywhere you look and you'll freeze your balls off!

Darn Bob did you just give us personal information about your physical condition. Without balls how can Thailand be any fun for you. :lol:

All joking aside, I would still like to go there. I think it would be interesting, I really would like to visit all seven continents just to say I did, but I guarantee I probably would not plan to live there permanently.

Guest anonone

Laos is a great destination for a falung to visit with a Thai companion. I took my friend who, like many, came from the Isarn, to Laos once and he loved it. I don't speak Thai but I believe the Isarn dialect is similar to that spoken in Laos. Mixing with the local boys he made loads of friends very quickly. Also, Laos is easy and cheap to get to.

Ceejay has been to Laos and has been far more adventurous and visited far more places than me.

Yes, you are correct. My BF is also from Isan and can speak Laos... In fact, when he is speaking with his friends and doesn't want me to know what they are talking about, they switch from Thai to Laos. I am convinced if I learned to speak Laos, they would all start speaking Swahili . :D

Seriously, thank you for the feedback on Laos travel. I have already planned my next trips to coincide with some Thai festivals, but something to keep in mind toward the end of next year.

For those looking for just a touch of cold and snow, how about the big Island of Hawaii? You can go from stunning black sand beaches in the heat to ascend the mountain to the observatory at the peak, which is often snow covered in winter....all in the same day.