Guest fountainhall

Dealing with Unsolicited Mail

Guest fountainhall

I'm sure we all get junk mail. Usually I just send it straight to the trash box. But recently I have noticed I have been getting unsolicited (as opposed to pure junk) mail from selected property developers in London. These are about specific properties and include lots of nice photos. They also come from an individual in the sales office, someone with a reply mail address.

Up till now, I have clicked on the unsubscribe button and left it at that. Today I decided to play them at their own game. On a reply, I copied the original mail and photos about 20 times - so it became a very large file! I then sent it, and re-sent it - all about 100 times. If they want to flood my box with unwanted ads, then I'm going to fill their personal mailboxes to overflowing - every day!! :o

Guest thaiworthy

FH, I know how you feel, but it will do no good. All you're doing is telling some bot that you are acknowledging and confirming receipt of their emails. It may even get worse. Unsubscribing is still best.

Guest fountainhall

The whole 'procedure' only took about 10 minutes - and I felt really good after it! Rest assured, though, I also unsubscribed. A few moments ago, I got a very nice mail from the lady assuring me that she had received all my 100 or so emails and I was definitely 'unsubscribed'!

I sometimes wonder about these 'unsubscribe' boxes, since they usually only have an anonymous unsubcribe email address. So I never know if occasionally some hacker might receive them!

fountainhall, doing this you just confirmed what your mail-address is still actual...

I never answer to spamers and never click "unsubscribe" link or button: it is used mostly to confirm e-mail by spamers...

To avoid spam I use "black list" in Outlook or at Google's Gmail...

Guest thaiworthy

Thanks Moses. Is there something like "black list" in Yahoo mail or Safari?

FH, I took it for granted you were using Apple's own mail program since you have a mac. You can mark mail as "junk." Is that not what you have been doing?

Guest fountainhall

Yes, I do use their Apple junk programme. But I find it is far from foolproof. Some junk does get through. Worse, though, some mails which are not junk are automatically directed to the junk box. So I have to check the titles of most of the junk before I trash it.

Guest thaiworthy

Yes, I do use their Apple junk programme. But I find it is far from foolproof. Some junk does get through. Worse, though, some mails which are not junk are automatically directed to the junk box. So I have to check the titles of most of the junk before I trash it.

I do same-same, but I also check the server. Go to:

https://www.icloud.com/#mail

You can get the opposite problem too. I get legitimate things in the junk mail folder there that never make it to the junk mail folder on my computer. Nothing is foolproof. You just have to check or risk losing something important.

Google does have a good spam filter system. AOL has the worst.

My other tactic is to have 4 e-mail addresses and only give the "lowest" ranked on out to sites where I'm forced to put in an e-mail address, but don't ever want to hear from them.