kokopelli

Today's Quiz

I was going to suggest Grimaldi, the clown, who was also an artist and whose son was equally famous. But they both died in the early 19th century - so too early for movies! But that device could, I suppose, have been used to grind the chalk to whiten their faces :o

The written version of the story came first in the 19th century, the movie version much later. pinocchio.gif

Guest fountainhall

Now . . . that icon! Has to be Pinocchio. But the Brothers Grimm were German. However, in the story the maker of Pinocchio is Geppetto and there was a movie about him. Don't know if there was there a son, though. Or is Pinocchio the son???

And that instrument. Was it to sharpen Pinocchio's nose?

A new quiz will be published tomorrow. Get ready to chip in your answers.

How about if the 'character' was a school teacher?

. . . Mr. Chips, . . . And not a teacher.

Just to explain my guess. I was trying to be too clever and thought, schoolteacher's use pencil sharpeners and the character in the original novel by James Hilton (who also wrote Lost Horizon) was none other than Mr Chips! But wrong guess . . .I don't know the story at all really and it must have been years since I saw the film Goodbye Mr Chips :(

However FH appears to have nailed it and the 'chip' clue fits in!

I too hope it isn't the right answer to the quiz.

I was thinking along the same lines as Bob but unlike him I was not aware of it ever having been used for that purpose :mellow:

Yes, it was Papa Geppetto ( artisan/sort of a Dr.Frankenstein/surgeon/ miracle worker)and his "son" was Pinocchio, the boy made of wood who later became a real boy. Maybe that is why we refer to "it" as a "woody" ? And, FH, the pencil sharpener was not used to shorten his nose but to put the finishing touch on Geppetto's "body" of work! After a boy is born he is intact and the surgeon then "finishes" him . For sure Bob knew it all along but was hesitant to give the right answer. After all this thread has been about the male member! I was saving this one last clue but our members didn't need it.

post-9743-0-53734100-1346684469_thumb.jpg

For sure Bob knew it all along but was hesitant to give the right answer.

I knew it was a pencil sharpener and, being possessed of an unsound mind and remembering the recent circumcision thread, I dreaded the answer. Didn't really pick up on the Pinocchio bit until near the end. And was hoping that nobody else "wood" get it right away so you could "string" them along....

No don't recognise the badge, looks like a Caucasian male (or could be a woman) dressed in black, looks a bit old-fashioned.

On closer examination, whatever it is appears to be round with a hole in the middle, so I'll guess it's pasta, maybe similar to those spaghetti hoops Heinz sell in tins.

My next guess is it is a kind of folk remedy to be applied to the affected extremity (are you with me?) in order to revitalise it. The stuff is mixed in the bowl with a little water and the resulting gooey paste is used sparingly. The result is often a disappointment but the practitioner usually warns the patient against false hopes. ;)

No photography when Tom Jefferson was around and he was not a politician although he did run for office. That photo was taken about 1860 I would estimate. The gentleman portrayed is a very famous father (here we go again), but his progeny was nothing as mundane as a puppet.

Every response will generate another clue and I have lots of them. But I can say their is whimsy in that button.

Guest thaiworthy

Could be a lot of things....rice, oats, barley, plastic beads, etc. Think we'll need some hints.

While it may have nothing to do with helping to answer the question, anybody recognize the button the lady (if it is a lady!) is wearing?

Yes, more hints please. The button says "Happy Birthday __________?" Can't make out the rest of it.