Rogie

Want to live longer? Try this

The power of intermittent fasting

Scientists are uncovering evidence that short periods of fasting, if properly controlled, could achieve a number of health benefits, as well as potentially helping the overweight, as Michael Mosley discovered.

One area of current research into diet is Alternate Day fasting (ADF), involving eating what you want one day, then a very restricted diet (fewer than 600 calories) the next, and most surprisingly, it does not seem to matter that much what you eat on non-fast days.

Dr Krista Varady of the University of Illinois at Chicago carried out an eight-week trial comparing two groups of overweight patients on ADF.

"If you were sticking to your fast days, then in terms of cardiovascular disease risk, it didn't seem to matter if you were eating a high-fat or low-fat diet on your feed (non-fast) days," she said.

I decided I couldn't manage ADF, it was just too impractical. Instead I did an easier version, the so-called 5:2 diet. As the name implies you eat normally 5 days a week, then two days a week you eat 500 calories if you are a woman, or 600 calories, if you are a man.

There are no firm rules because so far there have been few proper human trials. I found that I could get through my fast days best if I had a light breakfast (scrambled eggs, thin slice of ham, lots of black tea, adding up to about 300 calories), lots of water and herbal tea during the day, then a light dinner (grilled fish with lots of vegetables) at night.

On my feed days I ate what I normally do and felt no need to gorge.

I stuck to this diet for 5 weeks, during which time I lost nearly a stone and my blood markers, like IGF-1, glucose and cholesterol, improved. If I can sustain that, it will greatly reduce my risk of contracting age-related diseases like cancer and diabetes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-19112549

Guest fountainhall

To balance the suggestion of feast/fast, the article also includes this warning -

Current medical opinion is that the benefits of fasting are unproven and until there are more human studies it's better to eat at least 2000 calories a day. If you really want to fast then you should do it in a proper clinic or under medical supervision, because there are many people, such as pregnant women or diabetics on medication, for whom it could be dangerous

Back in the early 1980s, the US medical establishment tried to find ways to keep President Reagan awake during overseas trips involving several time zones. Their solution was also a mix of feast and fast days, but with extra restrictions on when to eat proteins and when carbohydrates, and when caffeine could be taken. It seemed to work, as the President stayed upright most of the time, and it was soon published in a slim volume titled "The Jet-Lag Diet".

I tried it several times. It seemed to work but that could have been as much mind over matter as anything. One of the fast days was the day of travel, meaning little food or drink once on board. One evening I was flying to London on Cathay Pacific and was upgraded to first class. Seeing the menu - in those days there was always caviar, beautifully cooked roast beef, enticing desserts and top-notch wines - I realised there was absolutely no way I could fast. I had to feast! I finally rolled off the plane in London having drunk far too much and much the worse for wear - and had absolutely no jet lag! The book and all further thoughts about dieting ended up in the trash can!