Guest fountainhall

Short Quiz

Guest fountainhall

Without cheating, according to the UN which four Asian countries/territories – and in which order – were in the top ten list of countries for life expectancy in 2010?

China (mainland)

Hong Kong

Indonesia

Japan

Macau

Malaysia

Philippines

Singapore

South Korea

Sri Lanka

Thailand

Vietnam

And which of the above had the lowest life expectancy?

Ok, I'll bite. No cheating, promise.

I assume you mean the top 10 for ALL the world's countries.

My guesses are as marked. 1 - 4 in blue for top life expectancy in order, so 1 = top, etc

and in red for lowest, so 1 = worst, 2 = second worst etc

I've absolutely no idea about China, it's just so big and a difficult one to call, so I've 'ignored' that one.

Without cheating, according to the UN which four Asian countries/territories – and in which order – were in the top ten list of countries for life expectancy in 2010?

China (mainland)

Hong Kong = 4

Indonesia = 4

Japan = 1

Macau

Malaysia

Philippines = 1

Singapore = 2

South Korea = 3

Sri Lanka = 3

Thailand

Vietnam = 2

And which of the above had the lowest life expectancy?

I read months ago that the life expectancy in Macao (or was it Hong Kong) is among the highest of the world. And I remember one of the smaller islands near Japan has the highest percentage of over 100 year olds in the world.

So I guess the top four are Macao, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore.

In the middle Malaysia and South Korea.

The lowest probably Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, China?

If you count all the baby girls they kill, then China must be lowest in life expectancy. And if you count all the centenarians that exist only on paper then Japan must have the longest life span.

On a more serious note I think the Philippines must be the lowest in life expectancy and Singapore the highest.

Guest thaiworthy

If you count all the baby girls they kill, then China must be lowest in life expectancy. And if you count all the centenarians that exist only on paper then Japan must have the longest life span.

On a more serious note I think the Philippines must be the lowest in life expectancy and Singapore the highest.

I think I am going to agree with Kokopelli. I have no basis in believing that, other than the fact that Koko always wins these contests. He'll probably get another bottle of champagne. If I time it right, I will get to have a glass with him when he gets into town. Koko is either very smart or very lucky or both. With him around, there's no point in even trying. So I'm not even going to guess and I'm tired of winning the booby prizes all the time.

If there were an Olympic event for quizzes, Kokopelli would probably get a gold medal. GO GO KOKO!

Hurry up now, I'm thirsty!

I think I am going to agree with Kokopelli.

If there were an Olympic event for quizzes, Kokopelli would probably get a gold medal. GO GO KOKO!

I quite agree that if quizzes were an Olympic event, Koko would be in contention for gold. However, he has allowed his concentration to slip in this instance and isn't going to win. The rules quite clearly state you have to name the 4 countries and put them in the right order. I am afraid Thaiworthy, normally so sagacious, has hitched himself to a wagon with wonky wheels.

I await the answers.

Me too! Bit in fairness I think we should allow a little while longer so Koko and TW can re-submit their guesses, if they so wish.

Guest thaiworthy

OK, ok, but these are just guesses and a rather futile effort. Top is highest, last is worst.

1. China (mainland)

2. Hong Kong

3. Japan

4. Singapore

Macau

South Korea

Indonesia

Sri Lanka

4. Thailand

3. Malaysia

2. Vietnam

1. Philippines

Guest fountainhall

Not surprisingly (because it's not easy, I reckon), no-one has an all-correct score. ChristianPFC and Koko come closest with the right countries in the longevity stakes – but not the correct order. Rogie, Bob and Thaiworthy come next. But no-one has the correct answer in the earliest to the grave stakes – where I really only wanted the bottom ranked #12.

Before I stumbled on the wikipedia page, I knew two of the top countries, because I had read an article in the last few weeks about Hong Kong replacing Japan as #1 – but that’s only because last year’s earthquake and tsunami adversely affected the figures. In 2010, the official figures were -

1. Japan

2. Hong Kong

7. Singapore

10. Macau

34. South Korea

65= Vietnam

65= Malaysia

80. China (mainland)

91. Sri Lanka

100. Philippines

110. Indonesia

111. Thailand

So life expectancy in Thailand is actually worse than the Philippines and Indonesia. That really surprised me!

http://en.wikipedia....life_expectancy

Guest thaiworthy

Other sources on the net show different ages for longevity for the countries in the list. One had Macau as #1 and Philippines as #12.

Koko, what is your source. Got a link?

Guest fountainhall

I was pretty specific in the original question :angry:

I've also looked at more sites. This one has Macau at the top (gambling is obviously good for your health!) -

http://www.indexmund...?v=30&r=as&l=en

- but it comes from the CIA handbook. Well, I wouldn't place to much faith in that. Weapons of mass destruction and so on :o

Besides, another CIA site says this is all garbage and lists Monaco as being way ahead of any other country. But that has the Philippines at 132, and Britain below Jordan!

https://www.cia.gov/...r/2102rank.html

I cant find any that has the Philippines anywhere hear the top. But I notice some sites list only female or male life expectancy.

Here is a recent article similar to the one I noticed about Hong Kong overtaking Japan at thetop of the most recent rankings -

For the first time in more than 25 years, Japanese women are not considered to have the longest life expectancy across the globe, losing out to Hong Kong, according to Japan's Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.

Japanese women's

life expectancy at birth dropped from 86.30 in 2010 to 85.90 in 2011, while men dipped from 79.55 in 2010 to 79.44 in 2011, according to the ministry of health. For Hong Kong, life expectancy at birth in 2011 for females was 86.7 years, while for males it was 80.5 years

Other sources on the net show different ages for longevity for the countries in the list. One had Macau as #1 and Philippines as #12.

I cant find any that has the Philippines anywhere hear the top. But I notice some sites list only female or male life expectancy.

My reading of Koko's comment was the Philippines came bottom (i.e #12) in your original list of 12 countries FH.

It would be interesting to speculate how life expectancy rates will change in the next few decades.

for example, barring any major disaster in a country, what would count for more?

• First-class medical care
  • A country whose people take great care to eat nutritious food
  • Similar to above, but where the people always take regular exercise

Certainly a country with all of the above would be a serious contender for the #1 slot, unless there was some other factor: eg.

• something in the air!
  • genetic predisposition to longevity
  • a future where some countries mess around with human DNA, perhaps cloning or genetic screening to weed out 'bad' genes

Guest thaiworthy
Certainly a country with all of the above would be a serious contender for the #1 slot, unless there was some other factor: eg.
  • something in the air!
  • genetic predisposition to longevity
  • a future where some countries mess around with human DNA, perhaps cloning or genetic screening to weed out 'bad' genes

I'm glad these are fanciful exceptions to the rule, but I don't like the sound of "bad" genes. I think evolution automatically weeds them out. I think I would rather say it weeds out "unproductive" genes, or some word other than "bad" only because for me, that word has different and unpopular connotations. Bad can mean undesirable according to the culture-- if you get my genetic drift. Of course that takes thousands of years to happen, and human cloning isn't really possible right now, anyway.

I am thoroughly convinced that diet plays the biggest part in the survival of a species, excluding catastrophes. It's only my opinion, but I think Asian cultures fall into this category. This is a bigger factor than first-class medical care in the long run. An apple a day really does keep the doctor away. Hippocrates once said "Let food be thy medicine."

Also, is there such a thing as a country with a genetic predisposition to longevity?

As for something in the air, I think Rogie has been reading too much science fiction! :lol:

As for something in the air, I think Rogie has been reading too much science fiction! :lol:

Anyone remember Thunderclap Newman?

Something in the Air

Call out the instigators

Because there's something in the air

We've got to get together sooner or later

Because the revolution's here, and you know it's right

And you know that it's right

We have got to get it together

We have got to get it together now

Lock up the streets and houses

Because there's something in the air

We have got to get it together now

Hand out the arms and ammo

We're going to blast our way through here

Now

Also, is there such a thing as a country with a genetic predisposition to longevity?

Good question! I'm not sure, but to camouflage my embarassment for not knowing, how's this for a bit of light relief:

Revealed! The Secret of Japanese Longevity

http://observer.com/2010/08/revealed-the-secret-of-japanese-longevity/ -_-

The answer is yes, but I now have to research the info. I had read of a certain ethnic group within a country who were predisposed to long life. Anyone else know the answer?

My quips, posted earlier, on the number of centenarians contributing to the longevity in Japan was in reference to the above.

Ah, re-reading post #5 I see what you meant by "centenarians only on paper".

That's rather unbelievable though that somebody can live to be 125 and not arouse suspicion long before 'he' reached that (rather ripe) age. As far as I know only one person (a Frenchwoman) has been proven to live that long.