Guest fountainhall

Olympics Remarks Turn London Off Romney

Guest fountainhall

In one amazing quite unnecessary gaffe, Mitt Romney has got a bucketful of bad headlines in the country he is visiting, the UK. After reminding a US TV network that he delivered a successful Salt Lake City Games, he make this remark about the London Olympics –

"It's hard to know just how well it will turn out"

Earlier he has said -

London's difficulties with security guards and threats of border staff strikes were "obviously... not something which is encouraging"

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-19007127

All of which was totally unnecessary, given that the strike threat had been called off and the Olympic chiefs themselves had declared themselves very satisfied with the security situation.

And of course, neither Romney nor his interviewer made the very obvious point that the scale and scope of running a winter Olympics on a bunch of hills :o is piddling in comparison to those of a summer one in one of the world's largest cities!

Romney then backtracked (as he has on gun control!!!). I wonder what his reception will be like when he is seen attending the opening ceremony tonight?

Mind you, Mitt's day in London produced several other gaffes, including this serious one.

"I appreciated the insights and perspectives of the leaders of the government here and the opposition here as well as the head of MI6"

The international arm the UK's secret service was never officially acknowledged until 1994. It activities and its Chief are rarely mentioned - certainly never by aspiring foreign leaders!

Romney's handlers made a big point before his "international" trip that his journey was to be non-controversial and wholly a "charm offensive." Rather funny that the British newspapers (the reasonable ones) are now saying that Romney's trip and remarks so far have been "utterly uncharming" and "mildly offensive."

As for the rag British newspapers, one of the headlines reads: "MITT THE TWIT!"

Mitt who? He's not even on the radar anymore!

Even the late-night talk show hosts are having a field day with the Twit these days; however, based on the continuing doldrums of the US economy and the mood I'm detecting in the US this summer, it's going to be a very, very, close election. If Mr. Twit wins, I sure as hell hope he keeps his dancing horse off the White House lawn!

"Mitt Romney believes that marriage should be between one man and one woman. Which is better than his grandfather, who believed that it should be between one man and five women." -Jimmy Kimmel

Who is Romney and why his remarks are important?

As an infant, he was found floating in a basket in some reeds along a stream in Utah, he became a Morman, "saved" the Utah winter olympics, and has a dancing horse competing in the London olympic games. He's currently unemployed but he is has applied to the Republicans to be their nominee for President of the US.

Just finished watching the opening ceremonies. Great job, Great Britain!

And getting the Queen to play along with James Bond (Daniel Craig) was really neat. Whoever thought up that skit ought to get a medal.

His name is Danny Boyle and he is best know for slum dog millionaire. However, I have been his fan since trainspotting, 28 days after and sunshine. He makes movies that are different, brilliant with mostly unknowns and they are usually great. I think his only bad film was The Beach with Dicaprio.

And now some people are saying Romney had it right and things ain't as they oughta be.

What would you think if you saw an event described as 'unticketed'?

It meant you could get in for free, tickets not needed?

or,

it meant tickets were not being sold? i.e. event not open to the public

Seems the confusion resulted in many folks thinking they could go and see the archery at Lord's (the cricket ground) without needing a ticket and found out it wasn't open to the public. Does that make Romney right? It seems there were some rogue websites giving false or misleading information.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/archery/9431496/London-2012-Olympics-hundreds-of-ticketless-fans-turned-away-from-archery.html

As an infant, he was found floating in a basket in some reeds along a stream in Utah, he became a Morman, "saved" the Utah winter olympics, and has a dancing horse competing in the London olympic games. He's currently unemployed but he is has applied to the Republicans to be their nominee for President of the US.

Thank you for info. My bad English doesn't gave me chance to show sarcasm of my prev. post, I'm sorry.

Who is Romney and why his remarks are important?

Actually my meanings were: I don't see reason why Romny's remarks should be important for Olympic games in London - he is about "nobody" for Olympic movements... imho, the same importance like has this strange woman... how is her name? Sarah Palin?

Actually my meanings were: I don't see reason why Romny's remarks should be important for Olympic games in London - he is about "nobody" for Olympic movements... imho, the same importance like has this strange woman... how is her name? Sarah Palin?

Did Sarah Palin ever come to Britain once she'd been put on the Republican ticket? I don't think so, but if she had she'd have been awarded the same courtesy shown to any visiting dignitary. It's then up to them whether they shoot their mouth off or maintain a diplomatic silence.

Short of the POTUS himself, unless a politician (or indeed anyone else who expects their comments / opinions to be heeded) actually visits a foreign country, no amount of pontificating is going to cause the slightest ripple, whereas when a well-known person, politician, actor, singer, artist or whatever, takes the trouble to come over his comments carry weight.

Do you mean "may be POTUS in future"? Romny isn't president of USA. May be he is VIP in USA, may be he is VIP in London on the diplomatic stage. But for the Olympic society? His remarks are close to nothing - he isn't expert in OG.

Sorry Moses if my wording came across as confusing. All I meant was that whoever happens to be President at the time. That is because basically, as the most powerful man in the world, wherever he directs his gaze internationally will cause ripples, not necessarily tidal waves, but people do take note, even if it's only other politicians or the chattering classes.