TotallyOz

RIP Lonesome George

A giant tortoise known as a symbol for the disappearing species and of the Galapagos Islands died on Sunday.

The tortoise named Lonesome George, who gained notoriety with its failed efforts to produce offspring, was found dead on Sunday, officials at the Galapagos National Park announced.

Lonesome George was believed to be the last living member of the Pinta island subspecies.

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

George.jpg

Showing my age, perhaps, but I figured the title about "Lonesome George" was about George Goebels!

A week or two ago, there was a story about two tortoises in an Austrian zoon named Bibi and Poldi who are 116 years old, who've been a couple for 115 of those years, but they're now separating because the female is getting testy (she bit him and took a chunk out of his shell recently). Supposedly - according to the US comedians - the male tortoise was screwing around (he had a tryst with a 110-year-old hottie) and the female was just getting even.

Guest jomtien

I too thought of George Goebel, showing my.....errrr.....your age!

Out of curiosity I looked up George on Wikipedia. The listing included the following...

In 1957, three U.S. Air Force B-52 Stratofortress bombers made the first nonstop round-the-world flight by turbojet aircraft. One of the bombers was called "Lonesome George." The crew later appeared on Gobel's primetime television show and recounted the mission, which took them 45 hours and 19 minutes. Lonesome George, the tortoise, is also named after Gobel.

Well I'll be a dirty bird!