Guest fountainhall

Donna Summer Dies

Guest fountainhall

When I made my first trip to New York in late 1978, all the clubs were playing Donna Summer's version of "MacArthur Park", so much so that I could not get the tune out of my mind.

Today, It's been announced that Ms. Summer has died of lung cancer at the age of 63. Farewell to the Queen of Disco.

I enjoyed her music too.

MacArthur Park, a great song suffering from a second-rate interpreter. . . Richard Harris did his best no doubt, but ultimately failed to do it justice. The temptation is to always believe the original is the definitive version, the 'best' one, but for me, Donna Summer's version was probably better, or at least I preferred it, but I also liked the original, so a close-run thing really. Then again I liked Leonard Cohen, but I prefer listening to a singer such as Judy Collins's version of Dress Rehearsal Rag, etc. Al Stewart was another great songwriter with a very average voice.

I think I am right in saying she made some unenlightened comments in her time, however many in the public eye such as the 'entertainment' industry forget their responsibilities and do so and such comments are usually quickly forgotten and maybe even forgiven.

Lung cancer? That's sad, such a relatively early age too. Show biz seems to have more than its fair share of early deaths due to whatever you may wish to call it . . . fast living, decadence, the belief the body is immortal - I have no idea what kind of lifestyle this singer lead, I haven't read any obits, but more likely than not she was a victim of circumstances. After all, there aren't many who live to a ripe old age who've got away with it . . . George Burns comes to mind.

Guest fountainhall

George Burns comes to mind.

Great artist! I have to retell the joke he himself told many times.

Interviewer: "Mr. Burns, I hear you still drink alcohol."

GB: "Couldn't' do without it every day, son."

Interviewer: "Mr. Burns, I hear you still have an eye for the pretty ladies."

GB: "Absolutely true, I love 'em. Sex is wunnerful"

Interviewer: "And Mr. Burns, I hear you still smoke cigars."

GB: "That's very true. Only the best and several every day. Twenty years ago my doctor said these would kill me."

Interviewer: "Mr, Burns, you are almost 100 years old. What does your doctor say now?"

GB: "I've no idea. He's dead!"

Guest thaiworthy

Her obit said she believed her lung cancer was contracted by inhaling toxic particles after the 9/11 attack in NYC. That would be difficult to prove. 63 is so young.

My favorite George Burns quote seems to sum up his attitude about acting talent. I am paraphrasing a bit, since I can't remember the actual quote, "There are good actors and bad actors. When an actor comes onstage and falls on the floor, that's a bad actor."

Here's some more George Burns' quotes:

http://www.brainyquo...orge_burns.html