Guest fountainhall

Discrimination and the Pink Dollar

Guest fountainhall

Has any member of gt been subject to any pleasant experience or downright discrimination when shopping? According to a survey conducted in 2010 about the spending power of Hong Kong’s gay community, 95% of respondents said that -

when the subject brand, product or service is discriminating, they will distrust the brand and boycott all products and services, with 84% of respondents stating they were more likely to try the product or service if the advertising reflects the attitude of the gay community

An entrepreneur based in Hong Kong, Paul Ramscar, also found that -

there is a definite trend in Hong Kong; we are facing discrimination by service providers when we go into their shops

So Ramscar and his team have developed the Pink Dollar app to provide information about gay friendly service providers. A release date of June or July is planned with the first launch being in Hong Kong.

post-1892-0-19096100-1336028661_thumb.jpg

Having lived in and visited Hong Kong for more than 30 years, I have to say I have never – ever - found any form of discrimination or homophobia when shopping, even with young friends. Nor have I ever seen or read of such discrimination. So I am really surprised at the survey results. (Was it, I wonder, a put-up job just to help promote the new app? :o )

On the other hand, I suppose an app that provides details of businesses which pursue anti-gay policies and directs gays to those which are proven to be gay friendly, could be one way of demonstrating the tremendous purchasing power of the pink dollar. No doubt, Ramscar will realise a tidy profit!

http://www.fridae.as...ed-in-hong-kong

In all my trips and stays here since the late 90's, I've only felt uncomfortable twice - once due to some Russians in a bar on Walking Street in Pattaya (I and my boyfriend left when it became obvious we were becoming the target of their drunken taunts) and the other time when a drunk lout in a girlie bar here in Chiangmai wanted to take issue with us (myself, a British friend, and his boyfriend) "homosexuals" being in a straight bar. But I've never had any bar owner or staff, vendor, shop owner/staff, or hotel staff person make me feel anything other than welcome.

Guest thaiworthy

Bob, when have you ever been in Pattaya?! I would've thought your feet would have shriveled and curled up like the Wicked Witch of the East. (he-he :p ) No implied resemblance, of course! No to mention being in a straight girlie bar in Chiang Mai, what on earth would you being doing in there? Now that really is asking for trouble, Bob. Are things that desperate in Chiang Mai?

Unlike Bob, I have never been discriminated against at any time while in Thailand. Mebbe that is because I have always been either with my boyfriend's family or in tourist areas.

I have noticed among farangs a little bias as to the company they keep amongst themselves. I don't know why this is. This is not discrimination. But smokers tend to hang out with other smokers, Brits with other Brits and Americans with same. And Bob, obviously, will hang out with anybody. :lol:

And Bob, obviously, will hang out with anybody.

I obviously have no taste at all.

Sure I've been in the girlie bars (well, they are host bars here in Chiangmai). Not all that often but it's quite fun and social there. And, no, the girls don't seem to care a bit if/when they find that I or somebody I'm with is gay (I always give them the standard line that I'm not gay but my boyfriend is). For a simple social setting, sometimes I think the girls prefer just gabbing away with somebody who isn't figuratively or litterally planning on screwing them! hehe

As concerns Pattaya, have only been there twice in the last 5-6 years and always get the urge to leave town after a couple of days as it's just a bit intense for me. But it's fun to occasionally have a drink in a bar facing the street and watch the world go by. Somewhat like going to the county fair.....

Speaking of Pattaya, I got one of those daily message things from ThaiVisa and the lead-off story is (and I'm quoting this exactly): "Pattaya is Thailand's role model." Almost gagged when I read that (i.e., if it's true, this country is really in trouble).