Guest fountainhall

An Incredible Performance!

Guest fountainhall

I have slightly muddied the waters, as it were, by concentrating on gymnastics where slo-mo relays are definitely available in the case of a protest. I am not sure diving judges actually have this technology available to them. Perhaps one reason is that the scoring system of diving seems designed to root out 'odd' or unfair scoring. Some of the highest and lowest sores for each dive are always automatically rejected. E.g. if there are nine judges, only the middle five scores are counted.

But there are other sports where replays have proved vital in the London Olympics. Just yesterday, a boxing referee and judge were sent packing for a blatant error in awarding a match to one boxer who had been knocked down six times in one round without any standing counts. Three standing counts and a boxer automatically loses the bout. There was apparently a hint of corrupution here, but TV replays were on hand to back up the protest lodged by the loser - who was then installed as the winner.

I think we have to accept that technology will play an increasing role in the 'judging' of most sports. Hawkeye is a permanent feature in major tennis championships now, and sometimes proves more exact that then eyes of the officials. In soccer, goal-line technology to determine 'close calls' has finally got the nod after years of debate and will soon be introduced around Europe.

Cricket uses TV replays to review decisions.

Often a team has 2 reviews available per innings, which permit the captain to request the TV umpire to review a decision. If the TV umpire reverses a decision made by the on field umpire, the review is not deducted from the allowance of 2.

Overall, it works well, although judging if the ball has touched the ground before a catch can prove difficult, as the camera angle is not favourable.

Guest fountainhall

If any performance deserves the title "incredible", it was the 19-year old South Korean Yang Hak-seon who smashed the opposition to take the Gold Medal in the Gymnastics Vault competition last night. His first vault is the most difficult ever attempted. Indeed, he actually invented it and it is now officially known as “the Yang”! No other gymnast has ever dared attempt it. He could have gained a fractionally higher score but for the small step on landing.

It’s the same vault which won him the World Championships in Tokyo last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5dzsKXqmWg

His second vault was slightly less complex, but he nailed it perfectly. When you see both in slow motion, they are staggering!

Can anyone tell me what is the purpose of all that? I grant an underwater camera is useful during a swimming race but who wants to see an underwater shot of a diver sinking and bobbing up to the surface?

I'm a bit slow off the mark here, but having watched some 3m springboard diving, I note some of the underwater shots are quite elegant as the athlete completes his dive and gracefully exits the pool. To miss this part would be such a waste.

Some great athletics today. The American women's 4 x 100 metre relay time set a new world record, beating the time set by the East Germans that had stood since 1985. Of the four, I think Alyson Felix is my favourite, but boy that last leg was phenomenal.

Sad to see the South African team coming last in the men's 4 x 400 metre relay. That Pistorious chap with the artificial legs, wow, what guts! :)

Regarding sports I have never watched before, I saw about ten minutes of a men's handball game between Sweden and Hungary. Sweden won, I forget the score but there was only one goal in it. It looked quite interesting but I don't think I will go out of my way to watch any more games. It seems ridiculously easy to score a goal, witness the scoreline which was something like 29 to 28 (can't remember but a lot of goals anyway). :mellow:

I'll be there watching Tom Daley's grace and poise.

Hopefully it'll be 100% watchable.

!00% watchable indeed.

Britain can be very proud of this young man, still only 18. How he managed it with the weight of expectation on his shoulders, to me defies description.

Not only that but it's the way the diving is organised. There are preliminary rounds folowed by a 'semi-final' that whittles it down to the final 12, and then the final itself consists of six dives, so the drip drip drip is remorseless. . . you do your dive then have to wait for the eleven others, then repeat that procedure five more times . . .

I don't want to take anything away from the performance of other athletes in other sports but there can be few where the athletes have to endure such a drawn-out procedure. But i'm not complaining, it was pure theatre. The top three divers were absolutely neck and neck going into the final dive. Unfortunately Tom Daley's final dive was of a lower difficulty and he came third behind the American David Boudia and Chinese Qiu Bo.

Well done Tom! You did great.

Ditto Mo Farah - had me on the edge of my seat coming round the final bend on the last lap in the 5,000 metres - another wonderful performance.

As was the 4 x 100 metre men's relay with Jamaica winning in a world record time.