Guest fountainhall

Airlines Getting into the Social Engineering Business?

Guest fountainhall

I’ll let this New York Times story start itself.

On his eight-hour flight to New York from Switzerland last month, Jeff Jarvis, a well-known blogger and journalism professor, found himself seated next to a woman eager to discuss the finer points of management theory.

“Normally, it would have been fine to chat, but I had work to do,” he said. When, after a while, the conversation failed to find a natural end, Mr. Jarvis resorted to the road warrior’s tried-and-true trick: He donned his headphones.

Mr. Jarvis, whose book “Public Parts” argues about the virtues of engaging with people online, conceded that such experiences made him wary about doing the same in an airplane setting. “So often we do sit next to utter strangers,” he said. “And the lottery does not have great odds.”

But what if those odds could be improved with access to the information that passengers already share about themselves online?

This month, the Dutch carrier KLM began testing a program it calls Meet and Seat, allowing ticket-holders to upload details from their Facebook or LinkedIn profiles and use the data to choose seatmates . . .

Relative latecomers to the social media party, airlines are quickly becoming sophisticated users of online networks, not only as marketing tools, but as a low-cost way to learn more about their customers and their preferences. With Facebook alone claiming nearly 500 million daily active users — more than 60 times the eight million people who fly each day — KLM and others are betting that many of them would be willing to share their profiles in exchange, say, for a chance to meet someone with a common interest or who might be going to the same event.

Did I read that correctly? Airlines are now starting a bit of social engineering by making air travel more like a mini-convention or prom party?

Well, some may want this. I for one will run a mile from it. When I travel on my own, I try to envelop myself in a sort of cocoon of privacy where I can enter into a state of limbo, shutting down most of my faculties and just letting time slip away. I don’t want to meet and chat with anyone. (Well, I admit, if he happened to be young, Asian, cute, gay and interested in older guys, I suppose I could be persuaded to change my thinking :p ).

Thankfully, I am not a member of Facebook, and sadly I reckon there is little chance of the airlines also teaming up with gayromeo or fridae. But I am also encouraged that some airlines are taking the opposite tack and catering to passengers who just want to buckle up and be left alone. Pity none fly out of BKK.

For fees of $6 to $60, Air New Zealand , AirAsia X in Malaysia and Vueling in Spain, for example, let passengers request empty seats next to theirs. If a flight turns out to be full, the extra charge is refunded.

http://www.nytimes.c...nted=1&_r=1

I hate speaking with seat mates on airlines other then a minor pleasantry

Seems a bit harsh, don't you think? I can understand hoping to avoid the occasional obnoxious seatmate but they aren't all like that. A good seatmate to me is one who has enough common sense not to invade your space and to have enough commmon sense to easily perceive if you do or don't want to talk about something. Many people can do this effectively (meaning they are sensitive enough to not cross certain lines) but, admittedly, not all can.

I've had many pleasant discussions with some seatmates over the years and I've also had a couple of situations where I pretty much had to somewhat politely tell somebody that I want to concentrate on reading or whatever. I've never had to graduate to "would you please fucking leave me alone?!?" hehe). I've also had many "cold as fish" seatmates that make you uncomfortable even asking them politely to get the hell out of the way so you can get out of your seat without stepping on their face.

A lot of my seatmates in the last 10+ years, given I'm usually only flying from and to Thailand, have been Asians who typically are quiet, polite, and non-invasive. I don't remember one of them that was a hassle or obnoxious at all.

But maybe some of my attitude is due to my having flown premium economy (EVA) for years. In coach, I suppose I would have been so cramped and uptight that I surely would have had to kill at least a few of my seatmates.

But maybe some of my attitude is due to my having flown premium economy (EVA) for years. In coach, I suppose I would have been so cramped and uptight that I surely would have had to kill at least a few of my seatmates.

Seatmates? Love that!

I've never tried it (obviously!) but death by chocolate sounds a nice way to go. Now, as I squeeze my ample frame into what will be my own little castle for the next x hours of cattle-class torment, to add to my woes I must now sneak furtive looks out of the corner of my eye in order to pro-actively detect incipient homicidal tendencies in my seatmates. Oh, I love you dearly, I really do. . .

Seems a bit harsh, don't you think?

555 I suppose I just don't want to get involved although in more cramped conditions a little conversation seems inevitable.

It is on the last leg of the flight to BKK from Tokyo which I am most leary of speaking with seatmates. Almost all passengers in Business are farang men; one time a guy started a conversation regarding Pattaya etc and I steered clear of that.

Guest snapshot

I've always been a fan of opportunities to network and meet new and relevant people but long-haul flights aren't where I want to be doing that, whether it's first, business or economy. I'm very wary and conservative about speaking to seat neighbours. The only exception would be while having a drink at the bar. Then I would say it's ok. 

I actually really look forward to getting on long haul flights to enjoy several hours of comfort and peace. Outside communication gets replaced with a TV and an endless supply of food and drink brought to me at my whim! The only person I tend to want to speak to is my partner if I'm travelling with him! 

It is on the last leg of the flight to BKK from Tokyo which I am most leary of speaking with seatmates. Almost all passengers in Business are farang men; one time a guy started a conversation regarding Pattaya etc and I steered clear of that.

LOL... I always smile to myself playing "spot the sex tourist" on the inbound legs to BKK and at the airport.