Guest thaiworthy

World's Deadliest Burgers

Guest thaiworthy

Last July and August, Michael (GayThailand) started some threads about Bangkok's Best Burgers.

http://www.gaythaila...__hl__hamburger

I thought it would be interesting to post a recent event that took place at one of the world's most notorious eateries, "The Heart Attack Grill," in (where else?) Las Vegas, Nevada. I guess if you've lost all your money, you might as well kill yourself as well. This place will do it and nearly has recently, prompting this Fox News Report. Because of that-- I'm not sure of the integrity of this item, namely the exact nature of the malady that occurred there. The owner, Jon Basso, boasts it was the first-ever full scale coronary at his eatery.

If you know nothing about The Heart Attack Grill, here is a link and the story:

http://eatocracy.cnn...?iref=obnetwork

They're calling the incident irony at an eatery. The CNN video embedded there explains a lot of details that are not in the printed text. Most notably is the career history of Basso, who was a nutritionist and used to own Jenny Craig diet franchises. That's the real irony it seems to me, how anyone can make a 180 degree career change. The grill could be more prosperous than the good he was doing at Jenny Craig, which would explain the turn from health to wealth.

Heart Attack Grill is no stranger to controversy, actively courting fans and nayayers alike with slogans like "Taste worth dying for!" and "Cash only, because you might die before the check clears."

Menu items like lard-fried "Flatliner Fries," highly caloric "Butterfat Shakes" and unfiltered cigarettes abound, scantily clad female servers dressed as nurses take orders as "prescriptions," and a house policy allows diners weighing over 350 pounds to eat for free.

However, the patron did not die from this so-called full-scale coronary. Interesting. Isn't it somewhat rare to survive something like this? I'm not saying it couldn't happen. Just seems suspicious. And Basso claims it wasn't a hoax, but if you look at all the indulgent advertising and tourist hype you may have to come to different conclusions.

I wonder where Michael's latest burger discovery is these days. Hopefully, it's not this place.

I'm in the "so, what's the big deal?" camp here. Let people decide for themselves what they eat. However, and it's a big however, in order to try and succeed they've overstretched themselves. The place should succeed or fail on the quality of its food, not on gimmicks. How many of us reading this would be fooled into eating at that sort of place? Perhaps it had no friends in Chandler, Arizona and beached itself in LV - if that isn't just a bit suspicious. I'm 6'0" and weigh 168 pounds and have an average build, although more ectomorph than mesomorph - that's less than half that needed to qualify for a free lunch. I feel ill even thinking about that. That's around 182 pounds of extra fat he's carrying, and I'm not exactly skinny. Sorry, to go with the cardiac failure I'm guilty of sense-of-humour-failure. :(