Guest fountainhall

Samsung Galaxy Tablet

Guest fountainhall

I recently had a close look at the two sizes of the Galaxy tablet and was extremely impressed. I have deliberately waited before jumping into the tablet market. As an Apple user for a couple of decades, I assumed I'd get an iPad. But the iPad 2 is considerably heavier than the Galaxy - and weight is definitely an issue for me. Is there any news of a yet lighter version coming out?

Apart from weight, is there much difference between the Galaxy and the iPad? As most readers will know, I am not great with computers and like things simple! (e.g. my phone is an ancient Nokia with no bells and whistles!) Can I download my music and photos on to the Galaxy with ease? Does it have basically the same features as the iPad? What should I look out for?

Many thanks in advance.

Guest thaiworthy
Apart from weight, is there much difference between the Galaxy and the iPad?

Here is an article that breaks down the difference between the 2 devices. FH, the weight difference seems negligible to me. The ipad2 weighs only 1.4 oz. more. This is considerable?

if you want greater control over your tablet environment, more openness to non-Apple standards (such as Adobe Flash), or greater ability to adapt to new technologies and standards as they emerge, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 could be the better option. You did say you wanted to keep it simple, and that may not translate well in the Galaxy. Sometimes the equation states flexibility=complexity, but since I don't have a Galaxy, I am only speculating.

However, I do have an Apple ipad2. It is extremely stable and compatible with my Macbook Pro. It is also very easy to use. On the other hand:

After configuring the Galaxy Tab 10.1 to my liking, installing apps from the Android Market, and becoming accustomed to its operation, the realization came to me that I’d allowed myself to slide down a slippery slope into an Android Abyss from which there would be no escape.

While I am considerably biased, I think you should get an iPad2. Especially since you have been an Apple user for so long. Go with your gut instinct. If not that, make a list of the pros and cons based on your needs and preferences. Besides, if you already know what the iPad can do, why ask if the Galaxy can do the same? Just for a lousy 1.4 oz? Otherwise, enjoy your ride on that slippery slope!

http://deviceguru.co...pad2-smackdown/

If the deal breaker is really weight, wait to buy your iPad until March, when the iPad 3 could surface, according to rumors on the web. Since Apple traditionally reduces weight on its iOS devices with each new generation, I would think this to be a prudent move. In light of this, if you buy the Galaxy now, how will it make you feel next month?

Good luck. Let us know what you decision you make. I would love to talk to you using FaceTime. Not face-saving time. Up to you.

I have the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and really like it. I find it very simple to use. Downloading music and photos is very easy and fast. Traveling with a Tab is easy. I believe it is better and costs less (in Thailand)

Apple is a closed system, which I don't care for. But there are many ipads since Apple was the first. And if you like Apple products it probably is a good choice. I believe it is still the number 1 selling tablet

Guest thaiworthy

iPad3 to be released March 7.

Doesn't say anything about less weight, :( but many new exciting features. :)

The iPad 3 is said to feature an improved camera, a bigger battery, and a dual-LED backlit system to power an 2048 x 1536 true HD display that looks, according to a source who spoke to The New York Times, "truly amazing." Apple's dual-LED solution makes the iPad's screen noticeably brighter, but it also apparently solved several puzzling issues with heat dissipation and battery consumption.

While some reports have said otherwise, Ritchie believes Apple's iPad 3 will be powered by a new quad-core Apple-made A6 chip, which doubles the power and speed of the A5 chip currently found in the iPad 2 andiPhone 4S.

http://www.ibtimes.c...12-features.htm

I would go with the Galaxy. Slippery slope or not, there are, and will continue to be more programs written for Android then Apple will ever have and YOU can decide what you want to put on YOUR tab and how YOU want to use it. Personal control is far more important to me then a stable but proprietary platform. However, I would wait for the new Galaxy 11.6.

Guest thaiworthy

Thanks. Any idea when this might be available?

Never. Fountainhall, don't listen to him. Buy an ipad3 instead. You'll be glad you did. You're an Apple man at heart. Don't betray your true instincts. You know I'm right. :)

Guest fountainhall

You know I'm right. :)

Well, it's true I'm basically an Apple man. But the more I see of the Galaxy range, the more fabulous I think it is. Given the new iPad is due out soon, I'll probably wait to see how it looks and feels. But I hope there will by then be also more info on what changes will be in the next Galaxy revamp.

Jesus Crist Thaiworthy this should not be an emotional decision. I sure hope you do not spend all you money by what you think you like, or have always used. An Apple man! Hell, I'm a tight ass man but I do not intend to buy any new ones while I still have use my old. I mean it may look nice, but I am sure it doesn't work any better then the old one I use now. However, on the other hand a newer one just might be a far better bargain. It often pays to check out the new instead of staying with the old and known. Of course I can't as I am married to the old, but please lets not confuse commitment to a person to commitment to a thing. :)

Fountainhall the new Galaxy will probably be out next month and will probably have greater capacity and you will be able to write on it like the popular Samsung Note.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57368409-251/samsung-may-have-a-2ghz-galaxy-tab-11.6-for-mobile-world-congress/

http://www.t3.com/news/samsung-galaxy-tab-11-6-release-tipped-for-mwc-2012

Dozens of other articles----just google.

Guest thaiworthy

I knew you were going to say that. :lol: KhorTose, you do wear many buttons, and you managed to let me press every one of them. I shouldn't have baited you like that-- but it's just so much fun when I know what you're going to say.

Seriously though, I do agree with you. It should not be an emotional decision. And FH does not strike me as an emotional buyer. That's pretty evident from his posts. I have no doubts he will make the right decision.

Now that comment about being a tight ass man could be taken in many ways. However, I have already worn down my button-pressing finger to a nub, so I shall leave it at that. :wacko:

Guest fountainhall
Fountainhall the new Galaxy will probably be out next month

As a non-technical guy, I love these new-to-me terms - Ice Cream Sandwich, Honeycomb, Gingerbread etc. Since I love all three foods, it seems a no brainer that I go for Samsung. :wacko:

Although I may appear emotionless in print, I am perhaps over-emotional and often go with what I like the look of rather than what my brain tells me I need. So I may well just take thaiworthy's earlier advice - "Go with your gut instinct".