Guest fountainhall

Movies - Best Last Lines

Guest fountainhall

There’s a piece in the UK’s Observer today about the ten most famous last lines in movies. Can you match these to their movie titles?

1. “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

2. “I’ll go home and I’ll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day!”

3. “Well, nobody’s perfect!”

4. “Oh no, it wasn’t the airplanes, It was beauty that killed the beast.”

5. “The son of a bitch stole my watch!”

6. “Mother of mercy! Is this the end of Rico?”

7. “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist. And like that – poof – he’s gone!”

8. “Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!”

9. “Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown.”

10. “The stuff that dreams are made of.”

The answers are here -

http://www.guardian....5125144&index=0

- but for those who want to have a go without checking,

4 were made in the 1930s

2 in the 1940s

1 in the 1950s

1 in the 1960s

1 in the 1970s

1 in the 1990s

When it comes to movies, I usually seem to remember quite a bit. For me, anyway, most of these are quite simple:

1. “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.” - Casablanca

2. “I’ll go home and I’ll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day!” - Gone with the Wind

3. “Well, nobody’s perfect!” - Some Like it Hot

4. “Oh no, it wasn’t the airplanes, It was beauty that killed the beast.” - King Kong

5. “The son of a bitch stole my watch!” - The Front Page

6. “Mother of mercy! Is this the end of Rico?” - Little Caesar

7. “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist. And like that – poof – he’s gone!” - (You you got me on this one. Don't know it.)

8. “Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!” - Dr. Strangelove (I think - not sure)

9. “Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown.” - Chinatown

10. “The stuff that dreams are made of.” - The Maltese Falcon

Now, how about a few of mine? These aren't last lines, but real movie buffs ought to recognize most of these.

One gold star if you know the movie.

Two gold stars if you remember the movie and the name of character who spoke the line or the actor who played the part.

Three gold stars if you remember the movie, the name of character who spoke the line, and the actor who played the part:

1. " Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

2. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

3. "Attica! Attica! Attica!"

4. "Hello! McFly."

5. "Your eyes are full of hate, 41. That's good. Hate keeps a man alive."

6. "So let it be written. So let it be done."

7. "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

8. "I am a Hindu - and a Christian and a Moslem, and so are all of you."

9. "Your German is good and I hear also your French. Your arms - UP!"

10. "You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, shark is in the water. Our shark. (singing) 'Farewell and Adieu to You Fair Spanish Ladies' . . ."

As an aside, my family has always had this kind of interest in movies. When I was just born, my grandmother came to help my mother with me. She stayed a week and for the whole week they were trying to remember the name of an actor, but couldn't come up with the name. The night my grandmother returned to her home, my mother's telephone rang at about 3:00am. When she drowsily said hello, she heard my grandmother's voice: "Louis Calhern" followed by a click as Grandma hung up her phone. . .

I got five out of ten in Fountainhall's quiz, the first four and 'Chinatown' which was a guess as I knew there was a film called that with Jack Nicholson but don't think I've ever watched it.

Gaybutton's quiz is too hard for me. The only one I recognise is # 5 which is Ben Hur and the actor speaking those lines is Quintus Arrius played by Jack Hawkins. # 9 is just a guess: Casablanca. #8 another guess: Gandhi

Gaybutton's quiz is too hard for me. The only one I recognise is # 5 which is Ben Hur and the actor speaking those lines is Quintus Arrius played by Jack Hawkins. # 9 is just a guess: Casablanca. #8 another guess: Gandhi

You get all three gold stars for #5, even though you wrote "actor" where you should have written "Character."

You get one gold star for #8

Zero for #9 - sorry . . .

You're in the lead with four gold stars. Of course so far you're the only contestant.

Guest thaiworthy

1. Bette Davis, (Margo Channing), All About Eve.

2. Peter Finch, (Howard Beale), Network.

3. Al Pacino, (Sony Wortzik), Dog Day Afternoon

4. Biff Tannen, (Thomas F Wilson), Back to the Future

5. Jack Hawkins, (Quintus Arrius), Ben Hur

6. Charleton Heston, (Moses),The Bible

7. Tom Hanks, (Forrest Gump), Forrest Gump

8. Ben Kingsley, (Mahatma Gandhi) Gandhi

9. Karl-Otto Alberty (SS Officer Steinach), The Great Escape

10. Robert Shaw, (Sam Quint), Jaws (1975)

Now, your turn, from my favorite movie. Who said, "Don't say nigger, Scout."

Now, your turn, from my favorite movie. Who said, "Don't say nigger, Scout."

Please give me more of a challenge than that: To Kill a Mockingbird

You almost aced it, but not quite. #3 is Sonny - with 2 n's.

#6 - right actor, right character, wrong movie.

Are you sure you didn't do any cheating? In 'Jaws', Quint's first name is never spoken. In 'The Great Escape,' the SS officer's name is never spoken.

I only new about half of the prior ones (actually, GB's list was a bit easier) but this one (Khun Thaiworthy's) is really easy.....Jimmy Stewart in To Kill a Mockingbird (which I watched a few weeks ago for the umpteenth time).

As for #6, it surely was Heston and I would probably have said Moses too. But how about The Ten Commandments (hell, I'm not even sure that's the name of a movie)

Guest thaiworthy
Are you sure you didn't do any cheating? In 'Jaws', Quint's first name is never spoken. In 'The Great Escape,' the SS officer's name is never spoken.

Ah, so! A quiz with an Easter egg embedded. Ingenious. I like that. I think I was just lucky you picked movies I liked and remembered.

Most I knew, some I guessed at. The ones whose characters' names are never spoken I think I read somewhere and knew only vaguely, but I did look up to get the spelling right so not to disappoint the quizmaster, so I guess I'm disqualified. No gold stars for me. Too bad.

I've been racking my brain to come up with a movie line you don't know, but it's impossible. You know them all.

PS to Bob: Apparently not so easy. You got it wrong. Not Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck. And you say you watched this umpteen times?

Guest fountainhall

When it comes to movies, I usually seem to remember quite a bit. For me, anyway, most of these are quite simple:

7. “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist. And like that – poof – he’s gone!” - (You you got me on this one. Don't know it.)

I wouldn't have got half of them! This one is from "The Usual Suspects" 1995.

Guest snapshot

Best line for me remains...

Sean Connery: You sure you're ready for this?

Other character: I'll do my best.

Sean Connery: You're best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

- The Rock

I've been racking my brain to come up with a movie line you don't know, but it's impossible. You know them all.

I know quite a few, but certainly not all. Here's a few more - some relatively easy, some difficult - same gold star rules:

1. "I'm a soothsayer. I'm about to say the sooth."

2. "Made it Ma! Top of the World!"

3. "I'm King of the World!"

4. "I'm having a friend for dinner."

5. "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with a pestle. The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true"

6. "Is it safe?"

7. "It profits a man nothing to sell his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"

8. "Let's win one for the Gipper."

9. "I've got the motive which is money and the body which is dead!"

10. "I am not an animal! I am a human being!"

And double gold stars if anyone can identify this movie:

The son runs into the bedroom, sees his father and his aunt, says "Uh-oh," and turns to run out of the room again.

Father: "Wait! Why aren't you in school?"

Son: "It's Saturday."

Father: "Always some excuse!"

-same movie-

She: "You couldn't wait to marry me. You had to marry me. Or you couldn't live without me."

He: "And nothing's changed."

She: "Nothing's changed!?! You're going to marry her!"

He: "That's the only thing that's changed."

#6 - right actor, right character, wrong movie.

I remember the Ten Commandments and also recall Rameses (Yul Brenner) using "so let it be written, so let it be done".

Here is one of his lines, there may be others:

Rameses: The city that he builds shall bear my name, the woman that he loves shall bear my child. So let it be written, so it shall be done.

I know quite a few, but certainly not all. Here's a few more - some relatively easy, some difficult - same gold star rules:

2. "Made it Ma! Top of the World!"

6. "Is it safe?"

#2 is White Heat, character is Cody Jarrett, played by James Cagney.

#6 is on the tip of my tongue, the actor is Laurence Olivier . . .ok, got it now, film was Marathon Man and, I cheated here, the character he plays is Dr Christian Szell.

Guest thaiworthy

I remember the Ten Commandments and also recall Rameses (Yul Brenner) using "so let it be written, so let it be done".

You're right. I got #6 totally wrong. The scene was with Charleton Heston, but it was Yul Brenner who delivered the line.

http://youtu.be/3bQnxlHZsjY

However, there is a line where Charleton Heston says "So let it be written." (Without "so let it be done.") Easy to get confused. Those Bible personalities are always saying "so let it be something."

PS to Bob: Apparently not so easy. You got it wrong. Not Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck. And you say you watched this umpteen times?

Shows you how deranged my mind has become.....of course it was Peck, not sure why I said Stewart. Yep, watched it umpteen times, can repeat the entire plot, and, obviously, can't properly unload the brain. I guess Jimmy Stewart was Captain Ahab too....(nah, I know better).

#2 is White Heat, character is Cody Jarrett, played by James Cagney.

#6 is on the tip of my tongue, the actor is Laurence Olivier . . .ok, got it now, film was Marathon Man and, I cheated here, the character he plays is Dr Christian Szell.

Yep . . . you got those right.

Here's my big hint for that movie challenge to identify. Anybody have it now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4NXEKx7GuU

Ok, since nobody seems to know these, or not bothering to try, here's the answers to all but identifying the 'mystery' movie. I know somebody will come up with that one:

1. "I'm a soothsayer. I'm about to say the sooth." - Zero Mostel, Pseudolus, 'A Dunny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

2. "Made it Ma! Top of the World!" - James Cagney, Cody Jarrett, 'White Heat' - Rogie gets the stars

3. "I'm King of the World!" - Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Dawson, 'Titanic'

4. "I'm having a friend for dinner." - Anthony Hopkins, Dr. Hannibal Lecter, 'Silence of the Lambs'

5. "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with a pestle. The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true" - Mildred Natwick (to Danny Kaye), Griselda, 'The Court Jester'

6. "Is it safe?" Laurence Olivier, Christian Szell, 'Marathon Man' - Rogie gets the stars

7. "It profits a man nothing to sell his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?" Paul Scofield, Thomas More, 'A Man for All Seasons'

8. "Let's win one for the Gipper." - Pat O'Brien, Knute Rockne, 'Knute Rockne All American'

9. "I've got the motive which is money and the body which is dead!" - Rod Steiger, Sheriff Gillespe, 'In the Heat of the Night'

10. "I am not an animal! I am a human being!" - John Hurt, John Merrick, 'The Elephant Man'

Guest thaiworthy

Ah, a musical. I like "I Enjoy Being a Girl." Good work, KT.

You should try this on your own board, GB . . . I bet everybody would have a lot of fun with it, and you might get a lot more participation.

Your challenge is "flower drum song.

Congratulations. You got it.

You should try this on your own board, GB . . . I bet everybody would have a lot of fun with it, and you might get a lot more participation.

I've done it on my board before. I did it here as a follow-up to fountainhall's OP. I got a little carried away with it, but had a good time.

I also just noticed a typo on my movie quote answers. "A Dunny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" 'Dunny' should be 'Funny,' but I didn't notice it in time to be able to edit the post.