Guest poseidon41

Alternative to drugs

Guest Pearl69er

not if you have experience on the subject , which is what i.m looking for here.

Wouldn't you be better off getting expert advce before you leave home ?. Then once you know what drugs he needs there won't be a problem obtaining them in Thailand.

While something like Xanax seems appropriate for your friend, surely he needs a few weeks on them before he arrives in a new country-sometimes there are unwanted side effects that would be preferable to discover while he's near his regular medico.

Don't forget to also carry copies of any prescriptions you might have for medications to avoid problems with customs.

Guest francois

What Pearl69er advises makes a great deal of sense. The "smoker" friend should first quit smoking and see if a prescription drug such as Xanax will relieve his anxiety. People I know who smoke also simultaneously enjoy abusing other drugs such as Xanax. It would be extremely unwise for poseidon41's friend to travel to Thailand and find that his mood swings were out of control.

At one time Xanax was readily available in Thailand although it still can be had.

And definitely one should carry such prescription meds in a container with the name of the patient, name of drug, etc especially on the return to home.

Personally I believe the smoker should not risk the consequences of such a "trip".

Guest Snowkat

Why over the counter at a pharmacy? That sounds dangerous to me. Qualified medical attention in Thailand is quite inexpensive. Wouldn't it be a better idea to take him to a doctor or hospital, have him evaluated, and a correct prescription at the proper dosage given to him?

Have I misunderstood the original post? Reading between the lines, I assumed that the "partner" had indulged in what we call waccy baccy.

I was not aware that doctors or hospitals in Thailand prescribed alternatives to such a substance or medication to control withdrawal symptom mood swings, and certainly not for a casual tourist popping in for a prescription.

However, I do agree that it is dangerous to rely on over-the-counter medication from a Thai pharmacy, many of which are not staffed by trained pharmacologists and which stock dubious copies of drugs and not the real thing.

I was not aware that doctors or hospitals in Thailand prescribed alternatives to such a substance or medication to control withdrawal symptom mood swings, and certainly not for a casual tourist popping in for a prescription.

I was not aware that they don't. As far as I know, this is the first time this kind of question has even appeared. I have no idea what a qualified doctor will do or whether he will or will not write a prescription for this sort of thing, but I do know that if someone is in need of medical attention then the smart move is to go to a qualified physician rather than some street pharmacy. If the doctor refuses to write a prescription, that's one thing, but you won't know until you try. I wouldn't recommend simply assuming that a doctor won't do anything.

Guest Snowkat

If the doctor refuses to write a prescription, that's one thing, but you won't know until you try. I wouldn't recommend simply assuming that a doctor won't do anything.

You a quite right of course. However, given the class of substance we are talking about, it might just be conceivable that some zealous and disapproving doctor would feel he had a duty to report the "patient" to the BIB for further investigation. The concept of patient confidentiality does not seems to exist in Thailand. I would not be prepared to take the risk !

The "partner" is between a rock and a hard place - risk using possibly dubious medication from a pharmacy or risk a doctor possibly reporting the smoking habit to the BIB for further investigation.

Call me a cynic if you wish but TIT.

some zealous and disapproving doctor would feel he had a duty to report the "patient" to the BIB for further investigation. The concept of patient confidentiality does not seems to exist in Thailand. I would not be prepared to take the risk !

You may be right about that. I don't know. I guess the trick is to find a doctor who does accept the idea of patient confidentiality. I do know that if you go to to the average street clinic, one that actually has a real doctor there, they don't ask to see a passport or any other form of ID. If someone is fearful of a confidentiality breach I suppose he could always use a fictitious name and address. To me, that's still better than taking drugs when you don't know what you're doing. Of course, I also think that anyone taking illicit drugs hardly knows what he's doing in the first place. I'm not a drug user and never have been, so I'm as naive as it gets when it comes to illicit drugs and the terminolgy that goes with it. I don't have a clue what "smoking" means unless that refers to marijuana.

Guest Snowkat

I don't have a clue what "smoking" means

My, my GB. That's a revealing and damning admission from someone who consorts with boys from gay bars in Thailand! :blush::lol:

Guest Snowkat

Nevertheless, it is the truth.

Your sexual preferences must be a boring then !

I have to admit that I have smoked hundreds of times in Thailand - but never with any form of tobacco, (waccy or otherwise) :rolleyes::lol:

Guest poseidon41

My partner is 47 , spanish. It is quite the done thing in spain to smoke , although I stick to the whisky. smoking has never been my thing. Thanks for your help on the subject , guys i really apreciate it. We haven

Guest francois

Sorry Poseidon, but there is no viable alternative to being a "smoker" other than drugs that are more addictive. A pothead is a pothead and that will not change. Leave your partner home and enjoy Thailand.