Guest fountainhall

Britain's 'Oscar' Nominations Announced

Guest fountainhall

The BAFTA Film nominations – Britain’s prequel to the Oscars - have been announced.

John Le Carre’s Cold War thriller with Gary Oldman in the lead “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy” and Michelle Williams’ starring vehicle about Marilyn Monroe “A Night with Marilyn” head the list with 16 nominations each.

Meryl Street’s “The Iron Lady” in which she portrays Margaret Thatcher picks up 14 nominations.

The tribute to the silent movie years “The Artist” gets 13 nods, with the civil rights drama “The Help” and Martin Scorsese’s first family film “Hugo” gaining 12 each.

The BAFTA’s have 15 nominees in each of the major categories, making predictions more difficult than for the Oscars. But my money's on Gary Oldman walking away with the Leading Actor award, with Meryl Streep and Michelle Williams in a tight race for Leading Actress.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jan/06/baftas-2012-longlist

Haven't seen any of these movies as yet but plan to see (meaning getting the dvd at the mall) at least Tinker and Iron Lady.

I've read a few critiques of Iron Lady but, rather than talking about the acting, the pieces have dwelt on the political effect of the movie (conservatives supposedly moved to tears in fond rememberance and liberals remembering why they disliked her with a passion). Perhaps contrary to the UK citizens, I think most of us yanks admired the old broad and her lack of timidity in doing what needed to be done. In a sense, she reminded me of Golda Meir (excepting that Golda at least came across as "grandmotherly" on some occasions).

Guest fountainhall

I lived through the Thatcher years, albeit at a distance. At the outset, I think many people in Britain did not like her aggressive attitude and she made quite a few mistakes. She was heading for loss in the 1983 election until the Falklands War materialised, thanks to the Argentine junta. Her resoluteness and effective leadership changed her image and she won the election with an increased majority.

She won her third election after having broken much of the power of the Trade Union movement - and partly thanks to the ineptitude of the Labour Opposition. It did appear that she got Britain working again. But by then, it seemed that power had gone to her head. She brooked no opposition even from her own colleagues. She went ahead with a disastrous poll tax - a tax which replaced the rates based on each home with one based on the numbers living in each home, resulting in many households facing hugely increased bills. There was a certain fairness in the bill, but it was met with universal outcry around the country - and not a few street riots. 98% of the population was against it, yet she persevered. This was one of the main reasons for the revolt against her in her own party. Her successor, John Major, repealed the bill.

In Britain, there are a lot of people who believe that she was almost personally responsible for creating major divisions within British society that remain unhealed to this day. Overseas, however, she was much admired - outside Europe.

Apart from Reagan, another who admired her - and whom she also admired - was Gorbachev. In one of their early meetings, he said, "I know you are a person of staunch beliefs, someone who adheres to certain principles and values. This commands respect. But please consider that next to you is a person of your own ilk. And I can assure you that I am not under instructions from the Politburo to persuade you to join the Communist Party."

Apart from Reagan, another who admired her - and whom she also admired - was Gorbachev. In one of their early meetings, he said, "I know you are a person of staunch beliefs, someone who adheres to certain principles and values. This commands respect. But please consider that next to you is a person of your own ilk. And I can assure you that I am not under instructions from the Politburo to persuade you to join the Communist Party."

Re; Maggie Thatcher: That's a fair assessment.

Re: the quote above: does that verbal exchange feature in the film? I'm familiar with the well-known comment Maggie made that Gorbachev was a man she "could do business with", but not the one you quote.

I'll be delighted if the UK has another leader even half as good as Mrs Thatcher during the remainder of my lifetime. We need that kind of intelligence & principled attitude right now.