Rogie

Christmas holiday viewing

At some stage during the Christmas holiday season extending into and beyond New Year, it's often great to grab one of your favourite films on DVD or to catch up on one you've not seen before and been meaning to watch for ages but never found the time.

I'll kick off with Red Cliff 1 and Red Cliff 2. I saw this film in the cinema a few years ago and it was a condensed version dubbed into Thai and without English sub-titles - although I managed to follow the plot reasonably well I determined to try and get hold of the DVD at some future point. I picked them up in the video store in Tuk.com in Pattaya during a recent visit and watched them over the space of two evenings earlier this week.

If you don't like war films, it won't be of interest, otherwise I can recommend the 2 DVD's. Why two? Well, part 1 is 145 minutes and part 2 a mere 142 minutes long. Now you can see why it was screened in a cut version (although in some countries it was screened in full but as two separate showings).

The action is set in 208AD in China and although the basic plot is fairly simple, it is the twists and turns in the film as first one side gets the upper hand and them the other - the following summary is taken from the sleeve notes on the DVD:

In the early third century, the land of Wu is invaded by the warlord Cao Cao and his million soldiers. The ruler of Wu, Sun Quan, calls on the rival warlord Liu Bei for help, but their two armies are still badly outnumbered. However, the Wu strategist Zhou Yu sees that Cao Cao's army is unused to battling on the sea, which may just give them a chance if they can exploit this weakness properly.

Both parts 1 and 2 cost 110 baht from Tuk.com and come with a choice of Chinese or dubbed Thai as languages and either English or Thai subtitles. This combination works well if you are watching with a Thai friend, if you (like me), are dependent on the subtitles your friend can listen to the dubbed dialogue. There is a good summary on wikipedia if you aren't familiar with the film already:

http://en.wikipedia....ed_Cliff_(film)

Any recommendations from others?