Guest GaySacGuy

Taking Thai Boy on US visit

Guest GaySacGuy

I am sure that you veterns have covered this some time back, but as a new person to the boards I need some info. What are the procedures, policies, pitfalls, politics, etc. of taking a Thai boy on a US visit for 30-90 days?? What are visa, passport, erc. requirements to accomplish this task. I haven't found one that I want to take to US, but interested in the procedure to be able to shoe them the US and then return to Thailand. Thanks for any info.

Rich

Guest MonkeySee

I have no firsthand experience, but if memory serves me right, it is very difficult for a Thai boy to obtain a visa to the US. There is something about convincing a US bureaucrat that your boy is not going to violate his visa and stay in USA. Your friendly embassy bureaucrat is looking for reasons your boy will return to Thailand. They would like to see evidence of a good job in Thailand, major assets like money in the bank for a long period of time and/or home ownership. If boy special is a go-go boy with a 8th grade education with no assets other than mom and dad

Guest icarian

I am sure that you veterns have covered this some time back, but as a new person to the boards I need some info. What are the procedures, policies, pitfalls, politics, etc. of taking a Thai boy on a US visit for 30-90 days?? What are visa, passport, erc. requirements to accomplish this task. I haven't found one that I want to take to US, but interested in the procedure to be able to shoe them the US and then return to Thailand. Thanks for any info.

Rich

well.. uuum i am in thailand right now.. and come to thailand alot.. and plus i am a immigration consultant.. in the US> i can tell you right now. its close to impossible. to even get a visa. you can try ing the sponsorship way.. and its not eash.. either. you hae to have tons of money and show the government you need this person. for specific.. reasons.

let me know if you need some help.. there are other ways..

my email is *********

i live in Florida.

* Edited By Admin : Please contact member by private message. Thanks

Sadly this situation equally applies to the UK

I suppose this also applies to the USA, but did you know that even having the visa is still no guarantee that you will be admitted into the country? I had a friend in Brazil who wanted to go to the UK. I have no idea what he went through to obtain his visa, but he did obtain it. Off he went to London. Upon arrival at Heathrow, the customs officials refused to let him enter the country. I never knew the reason. I don't remember if my friend was even told the reason, but he was placed in a holding room at the airport and ended up on the next flight from London back to Brazil.

I've heard similar stories over the years. I guess even with the visa, to paraphrase Yogi Berra, you ain't in the country 'till you're in the country.

Guest YardenUK

Gaybutton is right - having the visa does not necessarily mean you will get admitted to the country. I was lucky - my bf got a visitorvisa for the UK (6 month multiple entry) - after a gruelling interview and an initial refusal - which I asked to be reviewed within 2 hours - because some of the reasons given by the immigration officer at the embassy were frankly subjective and wrong. For UK visas there are online resources used by diplomatic posts abroad and anyone can access these - do your homework in advance and figure out what comments by an immigration officer in his/her refusal have been successfully challenged in Court by a Judicial Review. That's what i did, and the same day my bf was issued his visa after review.

Guest GaySacGuy

OK...sounds like the US and UK are out...is there anyplace that you can take a Thai for a vacation that they don't have to have a ton of paperwork...Vietnam, Cabodia, ??? Anyplace?? The 'boy' in question is 30, but he doesn't own property and isn't a brain surgeon. Thanks for all the quick input, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

OK...sounds like the US and UK are out...is there anyplace that you can take a Thai for a vacation that they don't have to have a ton of paperwork...Vietnam, Cabodia, ??? Anyplace?? The 'boy' in question is 30, but he doesn't own property and isn't a brain surgeon. Thanks for all the quick input, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

Yes, there is a list of countries. My favorite is BRAZIL.

is there anyplace that you can take a Thai for a vacation that they don't have to have a ton of paperwork?

Perhaps Iraq or Afghanistan . . . .

Actually, you can take him to most Asian countries solely on his passport. I think Russia and the former USSR countries are also available, but you'll have to check on that. A friend recently took a boyfriend, about the same age, to Austria without too much of a hassle. The UK and USA seem to be the most difficult countries. As far as I know, just about everywhere else is "do-able."

Guest Snowkat

OK...sounds like the US and UK are out...is there anyplace that you can take a Thai for a vacation that they don't have to have a ton of paperwork

Although only hearsay, I understand that it is far easier to get a tourist visa for a Thai b/f to go to the Netherlands or Germany. Certainly I think the former, from what Dutch friends have said to me.

Perhaps there are Dutch or German (or Belgian) members who could advise you.

Guest lvdkeyes

At one point I asked a woman from US embassy about getting tourist visa for a Thai. She told me it is nearly impossible unless the Thai can "show a compelling reason to return to Thailand", such as having substantial property in his name. There is another way for a Thai to visit US and that is if he invited by a Thai Wat in US to come study with them. I know of a Thai who was able to spend a year in US at a Wat.

I suppose another way is for him to go to Mexico and find out how the Mexicans get into US in droves.

(tongue in cheek)

Perhaps Iraq or Afghanistan . . . .

Actually, you can take him to most Asian countries solely on his passport. I think Russia and the former USSR countries are also available, but you'll have to check on that. A friend recently took a boyfriend, about the same age, to Austria without too much of a hassle. The UK and USA seem to be the most difficult countries. As far as I know, just about everywhere else is "do-able."

Actually Gaybutton, Canada is just as difficult as the USA and UK.

A friend of mine recently got a 10 year, multi-entry visa for the US and has visited now twice on it.

He owns his own business(tour business), maybe some property, and probably a decent bank account.

But I think the big item for him was that he had previously traveled to Europe several times and then a few times to Canada over the years and of course returned to Thailand each time. That's another item they consider in evaluating the application.

Guest lvdkeyes

Apparently, Australia is not as difficult. A Thai friend of mine, who is still a student and does not own property, recently went there for 2 weeks as a tourist.

But I think the big item for him was that he had previously traveled to Europe several times and then a few times to Canada over the years and of course returned to Thailand each time. That's another item they consider in evaluating the application.

That is probably true. However, even that still is no guarantee. Those of you reading this who remember my web site probably also remember that I always recommended (and still do) Ronda, from Norcross travel in the USA, when making airline reservations for travel to Thailand because she always managed to beat every other price by hundreds of dollars. Do you know how I found Rhonda in the first place? At that time I had a friend from Thailand who was a university student, on a student visa, in the USA. He's the one who first told me about Rhonda. He had been back and forth between Thailand and the USA several times and never had a problem obtaining his student visa.

Obviously he was returning to Thailand, but when his visa was about to expire he would have to apply for a new one. One time he went through absolute hell trying to get the visa. Despite all of his documentation and his history of returning to Thailand, there was one time he was denied the visa three times until he was finally able to convince the embassy to grant him a new one. As far as he could tell, there was no particular reason for the denial other than the agent at the embassy arbitrarily denying it. He was finally to get the visa, was able to complete his college degree, and now lives in Bangkok, so the story does have a happy ending, but he came awfully close to being unable to get it.

I have a difficult time understanding USA immigration policy. It seems to me that anyone from a Caribbean island country who manages to float in on a log is granted not only entry, but education, housing, and health benefits to go along with it. Meanwhile, people from Thailand whose intent is nothing more than a holiday and plan to return to Thailand have an incredibly difficult time obtaining a visa. That's another one I can add to my "I don't get it" list.

Visas to the USA are difficult but not impossible - for the right applicant. I have one friend from what seems to be a wealthy Thai family, with a very good job, who travels to the USA (among other places) without any trouble. I have another Thai friend from a similar background who tried to get a visa to attend a 2-month program to study English in the USA and was turned down - I assume because he didn't have a good employment history, but I'm not sure what reason he was given, if any. A third Thai friend got a visa to study in Australia, and now resides there, and plans at some point to apply for a US tourist visa from Australia - my guess is he will have a good chance at getting it, but who knows?

I don't doubt that someone could help a Thai get a visa, but it would probably take quite some time and expense to help him become a "good applicant" with an employment history, a record of visiting other countries, etc.

Here is an unofficial list of countries that Thais can visit without a visa, so it might not be competely accurate, but...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=701425

Guest GaySacGuy

It is clear to me that the US is out...but some of the other countries might be possible like Mayalysia, Vietnem, Cambodia, etc. What is required for the boy to get a passport?? Procedure??

Thanks again for all the great info, especially since I am sure this subject has been covered before.

It is clear to me that the US is out...but some of the other countries might be possible like Mayalysia, Vietnem, Cambodia, etc. What is required for the boy to get a passport?? Procedure??

Thanks again for all the great info, especially since I am sure this subject has been covered before.

Obtaining a passport won't be a problem for the boy. I don't have the telephone number for the Thai passport agency. Perhaps someone else can provide that for you, but I do know that all he needs is his national ID card, passport photos, and some easy-to-get documents from home. The fee is nominal.

I believe the only place he can get a passport is in Bangkok. Again, someone else will have to tell you where. The passport office used to be in the Asia Center building, easy to spot when entering Bangkok from the expressway, but it has since moved and I'm not sure where.

Countries like Malaysia, Vietnam, and Cambodia are no problem at all. The boy will need an exit permit to leave Thailand and that is simple to obtain as well. There is a small fee for that permit, I think.

Your boyfriend probably knows all of this already anyway, or can very easily find out.

Guest scorpio46

most of the replys to your question are correct....getting a visa for a thai man

is like trying to get a cuban into the us....he will have to win a visa lottery or arrive on a raft...

i work for a major u.s. airline and can tell you that we have access to entry / exit restrictons for

travel thru tims or timatic ....if you can find a way to get into the tims website ...you only have

to put his nationality/embarkation point/destination and possibly transit country to find out

which country you could take him on a holiday.......if he is one of the regular boys , it will be

a dream trip for him....about the only onter way if seen u.s. visa for thai me were those i

check in and checkout at the ticket counter who work for cruise lines coming in and out of the

port of miami.... so good luck ......

Guest YardenUK

According to my boyfriend, there are 4 Passport Offices in Thailand - BKK (3 offices), Chiang Mai (where he got his), Khon Kaen, and Songkhla.

I have never heard about the exit permit for leaving Thailand - he has been out of the country around 5 times and never needed anything - his passport is stamped on departure just like ours.

According to my boyfriend, there are 4 Passport Offices in Thailand - BKK (3 offices), Chiang Mai (where he got his), Khon Kaen, and Songkhla.

I have never heard about the exit permit for leaving Thailand - he has been out of the country around 5 times and never needed anything - his passport is stamped on departure just like ours.

My boyfriend needed one when we went to Laos. That was years ago. Maybe the regulations have changed or maybe it applies only to Laos. We entered by bus over the Friendship Bridge. Maybe it applies, or used to apply, there. I do remember that he had to get some sort of a permit to leave Thailand. So did every Thai citizen on that bus. Based on your post, apparently that is no longer necessary.

My CM friend has obtained his first and second passport in Chiangmai so I don't think Bangkok is the only place for Thais to obtain a passport.

We went to Malaysia last weekend and Thai citizens don't need anything at all to go there. Now, I do understand he goes through a different exit line than myself travelling to Laos, Burma, Malaysia, and Singapore (places we've gone in the last year) and perhaps there's some type of "exit visa" he's given (although the only things I see stamped in his passport are the entry and exit stamps of the countries we're visiting); if so, it's given in 10 seconds as he always flies through the exit lines.

Guest mauRICE

We went to Malaysia last weekend and Thai citizens don't need anything at all to go there. Now, I do understand he goes through a different exit line than myself travelling to Laos, Burma, Malaysia, and Singapore (places we've gone in the last year) and perhaps there's some type of "exit visa" he's given (although the only things I see stamped in his passport are the entry and exit stamps of the countries we're visiting); if so, it's given in 10 seconds as he always flies through the exit lines.

No, for visits to Singapore or Malaysia, a Thai national usually gets a 14-day stay permit if entering by land or a 30-day stay permit if arriving by air. These permits are issued on entry so no prior visa is required. If travelling alone, he MAY be asked about his intentions for visiting the country and evidence of being able to support himself during his stay. But this is strictly routine. Other than that, all he needs are his luggage and international passport.

When you say your friend "goes through a different exit line than yourself when travelling to Laos, Burma, Malaysia, and Singapore," do you mean a special line for ASEAN passport holders? I wasn't aware we even had one!

Yes, I believe there are immigration offices in most major Thai cities viz Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Udon, Khorat, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Hat Yai where a Thai citizen can apply for an international passport. He will need his ID card and maybe his house registration papers (this I'm not completely sure). The last time I checked (about two years ago) the price was 1,600Bt.