Guest fountainhall

Will the Blackberry Survive?

Guest fountainhall
BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. said Thursday that new phones deemed critical to the company’s future will be delayed until late 2012.

Mike Lazaridis, one of the company’s co-CEOs, said the BlackBerry 10 phones will need a highly integrated chipset that will not be available until mid-2012, so the company can now expect them to ship late in the year. He disclosed the delay on a conference call with analysts . . .

BGC Financial analyst Colin Gillis said the guidance was terrible and wondered if it was the start of a collapse.

“If consumers abandon this platform it can happen pretty quickly,” Gillis said. “Don’t think this is the bottom.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/blackberry-maker-rims-fiscal-third-quarter-net-income-falls/2011/12/15/gIQANMIcwO_story.html

I don’t own a high–tech phone and have finally been mulling over getting a BB, an iPhone or the Samsung Galaxy. But the on-going troubles of BB’s parent company Research in Motion make me wonder if BB’s will be still be around should I opt for one of them.

It’s not just the delay to the new phone that is worrying. Net income for the latest quarter has plunged from US$911m to $265m, the three-day service outage two months ago not only lost them $40 million but resulted in a stack of lawsuits and the loss of a great deal of goodwill, and their reply to the iPad has been such a dismal failure that the company has taken a US$365 million charge for the big discounts it is offering. Not surprisingly, the share price has tanked this year by around 75%.

Would you consider buying a BB now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16210897

No. I might buy some sort of smart phone in 2012, but it is more likely to be an i-phone clone, or even a slightly larger device (that still fits in the pocket).

The ability to drag up street maps etc on the move appeals to me. A Blacberry does not seem like the optimum device for that. Perhaps it's more useful for business use, where people need to send e-mails from anywhere.

However, I think the Blackberry is already on its way to extinction. Squeezed out at the top end by i-phone clones & possibly at the bottom end by other phones with QWERTY keyboards.

Also, it's a fine demonstration of Peter Lynch's advice about not buying shares in IT companies. Products can quickly be come obsolete or get beaten by better competitors.

No. I am years behind the current developments in mobile phone technology. I am always amazed when I see the phones Thai moneyboys have. So I am roughly aware of what you are talking about.

The last phone I bought was a Nokia 6210 (?) which was in early 2001. It's still in perfect working condition, but the screen has a low resolution so reading SMS is tedious. In 2009, I got a newer model (Samsung E720 ?, colour display and build-in camera) as a gift from a friend (there are people who get new phones every few years with their contracts), which will last (current estimate) well until 2015 or even longer.