Guest fountainhall

Answer to Obesity - a 'Fat' Tax?

Guest fountainhall

Denmark has become the first country in the world to introduce a fat tax - a surcharge on foods that are high in saturated fat. Butter, milk, cheese, pizza, meat, oil and processed food will all be taxed if they contain more than 2.3 per cent saturated fat. Butter, for example, will cost around $1.50 more per kilo!

Perhaps a good idea, but somehow I can't see it working! It you want a Big Mac or a candy bar, an extra few cents isn't going to stop you.

Guest thaiworthy

OH NO! A fat tax? How will I survive without my delicious Danish butter cookies? And Danish ham, butter? And the cheese Danish from the bakery? Come to think of it, every food I associate with Denmark would have to be taxed.

fat tax - a surcharge on foods that are high in saturated fat.

Perhaps a good idea, but somehow I can't see it working!

Maybe those crazy Danes will appoint a Fat-finder General, maybe kids'll be given a hot-line to rat on their parents, maybe doctors and hospitals will refuse to treat their fellow countrymen whose diets are suspect. . .

Seriously now, I hate this sort of thing - taxing certain foods some busy-body has deemed 'unhealthy'. Welcome to the Nanny State, and I thought Denmark was an enlightened country, free of many of the hang-ups that bother most other countries. :wacko:

Britain is a faithful export market for the Danes. We buy lots of their bacon and tons and tons of their butter eg. Lurpak.

OH NO! A fat tax? How will I survive without my delicious Danish butter cookies?

If those delicious cookies are deemed 'unhealthy' by those over-zealous Danes, the company that makes them might decide the best way for them to compensate for the inevitable decline in their home market, due to the 'fat tax', will be to export more, so I think your survival is a non-issue Thaiworthy. :)

Guest fountainhall

If those delicious cookies are deemed 'unhealthy' by those over-zealous Danes, the company that makes them might decide the best way for them to compensate for the inevitable decline in their home market, due to the 'fat tax', will be to export more

Or to move their production offshore and save more cash than will be levied by the tax. Who knows, they might even move round the corner from thaiworthy? :p

Guest thaiworthy

Or to move their production offshore and save more cash than will be levied by the tax. Who knows, they might even move round the corner from thaiworthy? :p

They already have. Just like the Keebler elves, there are little (Danish) men living in trees to make my cookies for me. I stole a peek at their ingredients! Yikes!

1 cup butter

1 cup white sugar

1 egg

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Recipe for butter cookies

A cookie a day won't keep Fountainhall at bay! :blink:

Come to think of it, Rogie is pretty sweet too, I wonder what the fat tax is on him?! :o

Just like the Keebler elves, there are little (Danish) men living in trees to make my cookies for me. I stole a peek at their ingredients! Yikes!

That was brave of you!

By the way I don't believe you, I simply do not believe that bit about the 'little' men. All the Danish men I've seen have been e-n-o-r-m-o-u-s (**). . .Eastern European in size like the Olympic shot-putters of old, but a lot nicer, without the communist shackles. No, one thing's for sure, they don't do little men in Denmark. They do things differently there and isn't that wonderful. . .

(**) no, they didn't eat all the pies, or the cookies, they're just big in a nice way, as in tall and imposing