Guest fountainhall

World's Top 10 Safest Airlines - Huh?

How anyone can claim that Air France is a safer carrier than Cathay Pacific is out of their tiny mind!

You've got that right. While I'm sure flying Air France is generally safe, their crash record in the last 20 years is far worse than some of the other airlines listed. Maybe the author of the study was French....

Guest fountainhall

American and American Eagle don't have such good records, either. American had the famous crash soon after September 11 2001 when a full Airbus A300 flying out of JFK ploughed into Queen’s and killed all on board. That was pilot error. An MD-80 crashed at Little Rock in January 1999 with no fatalities, and a Boeing 757 off Bogota in 1995 with the loss of 164 lives. American Eagle had 4 registered crashes since 1988, the last being in 2004.

Nor does the average age of fleets make sense. According to airfleets.net, the average age of the Delta fleet is 15.3, American is 15.1, United is 13.9, Lufthansa is 13.3, US Airways 12.9, British Airways is 12.4 – Cathay Pacific by comparison is 11 (soon to reduce considerably as it phases out its 42 744s and replaces many with new 777s).

And nor do cabin staff numbers make sense. Cathay has 16 on its 744s; BA has 14!

So who’s been sleeping with whom when making up that list, I wonder?

I recommend totally ignoring that list.

The correlation between the metrics they pick and actual crash statistics seems poor. So they picked the wrong metrics.

I prefer to rely on crash statistics. The following list shows 5 Air France crashes in the same time that many other flag carriers have had none.

Crash rates

So Air France make it onto my list of "non preferred" airlines.