Guest aot87

airport taxi

I have not filed a complaint - yet! But I have come across three dodgy meters during in-town taxi trips just in the last month alone. Meters usually have a waiting time display on the top left and a distance display on the top right.

. . . the only advice I have for anyone travelling from the airport is they must ensure they keep their part of the despatch form (one half of the whole page), for this has the taxi details, the time of departure and the address for complaints, and only give the driver his quarter part of the page.

That description of the meter layout would appear to confirm my suspicions. The final digit in the fare section of the metered display was obscured by a small Buddhist charm or some other object, so only the first two digits were visible, i.e. with a fare of 350 baht the zero was hidden. Perhaps the distance travelled display was also obscured. Fountainhall's description implies this.

The despatch form described by FH appears to differ from the ones I've had recently. Mine are A5 in size and headed in red 'For Passenger'. There is no quarter part for the driver that I can see. However, I assume we are referring to a document that serves the same purpose.

Guest fountainhall

The ones I've had are about A5 size with 2 perforations. One is vertical with the passenger getting one side. The other side is then divided horizontally in two. The dispatcher keeps one of these and the driver the other. I now insist on the dispatcher giving me both parts and I then give the driver his quarter.

On the few occasions I've gone from the airport into town, I've no really noticed such problems, so perhaps keeping my copy of the form from the taxi desk is having some beneficial effect.

The problems start when hailing a taxi down town. Carrying the sign "Meter Taxi" but refusing to use the meter & taking "accidental" wrong turns to increase the journey length come under my broad definition of cheating. For sure it could be a lot worse.

The service from Pattaya to the airport is generally OK, although on the most recent trip the driver managed to fit in both a slow LPG stop and a separate toilet break on the short trip. Fortunately I usually allow some safety margin.

So I got out of the cab, took my bag and hailed one of the many cabs which were behind us.

Congratulations! That's the right way to treat taxi drivers who think they can dish out any old shoddy service once the customer is in the back of the car.

1. The service from Pattaya to the airport is generally OK, although on the most recent trip the driver managed to fit in both a slow LPG stop and a separate toilet break on the short trip. Fortunately I usually allow some safety margin.

2. Congratulations! That's the right way to treat taxi drivers who think they can dish out any old shoddy service once the customer is in the back of the car.

1. I haven't ever got an airport bus to Pattaya but several times have done the reverse. The one from the parking lot opposite Pan Pan in Jomtien is excellent and costs about 120 baht. It's not as fast as a taxi but gets there as fast as a bus can. Allow 2 hours.

2. Following on from FH's terrible experience and Z's comments with which I am in complete agreement, I had another annoying taxi ride on Monday of this week, following on from the fiasco with the diddled meter. I had to wait 10 minutes outside the Malaysia Hotel before I spotted an unoccupied taxi. It was 8 am so I guess a lot of people using them to get to work. So I was very relieved to get in and ask for the bus station. I know it is vital to make sure the driver knows where you want to go so I always say Morchit - Northern Bus Terminal - Chatuchak. That way there can be no misunderstanding, right? Some of you can probably guess what happened. Yes, he dropped me off at Morchit BTS station. I was pretty sure he'd got it wrong but he insisted 'bus station' and so I got out and a women hopped in and joined in the chorus (in excellent English) Yes! Bus station! with a lot of finger pointing. I still suspected they were wrong and I was right, but as I had already disembarked and paid (just over 100 baht) I was on the losing side. I then had to pay a further 50 baht for a motorcycle taxi to take me to the real bus station. Luckily I had only a small amount of luggage and I wasn't in any great rush, so it was hardly the worst experience of my life, but infuriating because I should have known better and refused to get out of the cab until he took me where I wanted to go.

I may have posted this story before, but on a journey to Don Mueang, I took the BTS as far as possible in the direction of Don Mueang, so to avoid taxis for as long as possible.

Then asked a taxi to take me the rest of the way. The idiot kept insisting on Suvarnabhumi & he only got it when I saw a signpost & frantically pointed at that.

I'm sure he was just taking the mick, as why would anyone take a skytrain to North Bangkok to go to Suvarnabhumi?

Thankfully things picked up once at the airport and NOK offered excellent cheery service on their domestic flight.

Resurrecting old thread but I found information useful for newcomers and new readers even if 3 years old.

I rarely used taxis to get to and from airport in BKK, all 3 times in 9 trips and only on one occasion driver did not want to use meter but it was during deluge so I gladly paid requested 600 / 20$ / for trip to Swampy in the middle of the night.

I would not  sweat to much over meter issue as taxi fares are cheap in Bangkok, I live within walking distance / 50 minutes  / from my local airport and taxi fare is exactly 20 $  so I'm no mood to haggle over fare in the middle of the night after long flight to BKK.

Fondly remember my first ever arrival in Bangkok, took taxi from Don Muang and almost immediately driver asked me if I want a girl, when declined "I have boy for you " offer arrived . I knew I'm close to paradise, did not take an offer though as I like to gather  those offers myself.

Generally in my travels everywhere I prefer to use public transport not to save money but to get better grip of the place and local people.

In BKK it's often impossible as many flights are arriving past midnight and departing too early to be there on time using first train at 6 a.m. from PhayaThai.

Make sure you have small notes on you as unscrupulous driver may pretend  not to have a change of 1000 baht note.

All counters in the Swampy are giving the same exchange rate so no reason to shop around the airport. Only exception is one just before  train platforms but that one was not open past midnight last year. 

For Pattaya the bus is an option partly on the grounds of safety. Taxis do the 60 miles from Swampy in only a little over an hour in light traffic but in my opinion not safely in that they drive too close to vehicles ahead and change lane erratically. You have more protection on the large buses. The saving in fares of about 1300 baht is a secondary factor.

Most flights from Europe arrive during the day (mine does at about 7am) when the buses operate. The Bell Travel service is best which takes you to the bus station on North Pattaya Road where you transfer to mini buses to your hotel. The transit time is only a little over 2 hours.

There is also the public bus which is cheaper but this drops you off on Sukumvit Road and you have to make your own way from there, so not a good option for Pattaya first-timers.

Guest LoveThailand

I have used both taxis and train to get to downtown BKK. Trains when I was flying short haul from other countries in the region - so not tired. When I fly directly from Europe - all I want is to get to the hotel/shower/bed as soon as I can with the least amount of effort. Never been asked more than the going rate.

Same when I went to Pty - arranged a pickup before hand for I think 1,200 baht including tolls. The car took me to the condo I rented and the driver waited till I was met by the host. I used Mr. Yo's service. Booking, response and actual service were excellent.

There is also the public bus which is cheaper but this drops you off on Sukumvit Road and you have to make your own way from there, so not a good option for Pattaya first-timers.

You are talking about bus 389 aka "sex tourist express"? It stops on Sukhumvit North, Central, South Pattaya (from there about 200 m walk to songtheo that takes you to Tuk Com or second road), and finally goes to bus station near Foodmart in Jomtien (from there about 500 m walk to Jomtien Complex).

Those days when all suitcases have wheels weight is not much of consideration for most of travelers when choosing between taxi or public transport.

In Thailand like in most of SE Asia taxis are cheap so choosing 40 $ taxi over  4 $ bus ride from Swampy to Pattaya makes sense for many without sacrificing much in  monetary terms.

When arriving in London facing 15 pounds train option versus  100 pounds of taxi ride plenty forget about weight of suitcases opting for train.

Bottom line for this  thread is that in Bangkok we  are blessed with few affordable  options and in choosing between train / bus / taxi we have luxury of  considering other than just price criteria like landing and  traveling time  , safety,  convenience or just fun / not much eye candy in taxi /.

There's nothing insane in taking taxi to get to destination ASAP for price likely cheaper than paid to get to airport at place of origin.

Nothing stupid either with waiting for bus / train to save 1000 baht for the first off fee and enjoy better grasp of local condition on the way.

Not picking up at anybody - look at me , for next trip arrival is scheduled at 1.20, even with taxi I don't expect to be in hotel before 3.00, so it will cost me 350+1350=1700 just to have room for 4 hours to be alone as at that hour even Patpong is dead.

If waiting  for first train at 6 .00 for 75 baht I could be at the hotel at 7.00 saving 1625, equivalent of  BKK   short time tip plus condom and lube.

So am I smart or stupid ?

I'll repeat what I said again. Great for you people whose flights arrive daytime. When your flight arrives 1130 at night, your choices are limited to Pattaya for sure and taxis are your only logical choice to BKK.

European visitors can save some money by taking buses etc but a large % USA travelers go through Tokyo and those flights all arrive late at night.

When your flight arrives 1130 at night, your choices are limited to Pattaya for sure and taxis are your only logical choice to BKK.

European visitors can save some money by taking buses etc but a large % USA travelers go through Tokyo and those flights all arrive late at night.

Late arrivals actually are  making it easy as no need to split hair in 2 - taxi or public since second option is non-existent  till 6 in the morning. So only decision to make is taxi from the rank or pre-ordered.

Not only Tokyo but also Seoul, Taipei , Bejing and Shanghai connections  all are arriving late and departing early creating need for taxis at both ends of trip and also under using rooms for the last night in most cases.

But look at the bright side, midnight arrival means North American  biological clock is at noon, better than European arriving battered by the sleepless night on the plane. An early morning departure means arrival home is at some  hour decent enough to do some shopping to stock empty fridge.