Guest aot87

airport taxi

On my next trip it will be my first time using a meter taxi from the airport to my silom hotel, how much can i expect to pay , and how lomg should it take, im stopping at the holiday inn silom, i arrive from cambodia at around 1100 am

If you use the official taxi rank at the lowest level of the airport, then it will be about 300 baht. An airport fee of 50 baht will be added to that (that's an official charge, not a scam) so the taxi driver will charge you about baht 350 in all. You will also need 70 baht in cash on you, to pay the toll fees on the Expressway, which are an extra.

Since you haven't used the taxis there before, you may find this helpful:

After you have passed through immigration, baggage reclaim and customs, to emerge on the arrivals concourse, turn left. More or less at the end of the building is a down escalator, with a sign for the taxis. Take this down to the lowest level - you will emerge into an area where you will see a couple of desks and a load of taxis lined up. Go to one of the desks and tell them where you want to go. They'll write this on a ticket for a taxi driver, and give you a copy of the ticket. It has the driver's number on it - it's for your use if you need to complain.

Make sure the taxi has the meter on when it starts off.

In the airport, you will probably be approached by people (especially at the top of the escalator) offering taxi or limo services. Ignore all these touts - they are all much more expensive than the public taxis.

Guest lookmespa

Ceejay makes it quite clear about the fare and the guidance. One more suggestion: if you have a GPS with you, pull it out and watch the GPS tracking. If the taxi driver is driving in the wrong direction, then ask him and show him the GPS tracking. :D

Guest fountainhall

After you have passed through immigration, baggage reclaim and customs, to emerge on the arrivals concourse, turn left.

Just to clarify this point on ceejay's excellent description. If you go through Immigration at the East or Central sections of the airport (mostly where TG and Star Alliance flights arrive - usually), then you turn left. If you arrive at the West section (One World carriers like Cathay, Qantas, BA, JAL and others), then you have to turn right when you exit customs in order to get the down ramp to Ground Level for public taxis. I always exit at the West side and the signage down to the public taxis is now quite clear.

Guest fountainhall

im coming in on bangkok air ex cambodia

My guess is that's the middle customs exit 'B' and so you'd turn left to go downstairs. But just follow the signs to Public Taxis. Make sure you don't agree to take one of the AOT taxis which have desks in the baggage claim area and immediately as you exit. These are total rip-offs and will cost you well over Bt.1,000!

Guest fountainhall

A small addition to this thread (I think I posted something about it elsewhere a couple of months back, but cannot locate it). And a word of warning about doctored taxi meters.

In the 3 months period from around April - June, I had two public taxis departing from the airport with doctored meters resulting in my paying considerably more than on other trips. So, I paid much closer attention to the details on the meter when I returned late last Monday. The trip from the airport started around 12:30 a.m. and there were no hold-ups. By the Rama IV turn-off, the meter read -

32.55 kms, no waiting time, and the total was Bt. 211

By the time I got to my condo, the readings were

34 kms, 1 minute waiting time and Bt. 221

So with the Bt. 50 airport charge and Bt. 70 expressway tolls, the total was Bt. 341

And a word of warning about doctored taxi meters.

Thanks for the warning Fountainhall. I hadn't been aware of that.

It would be interesting to know if these 'rogue' taxis have meters which are rigged all the time or whether they can 'throw a switch' when they think a mug punter's on board. Assuming the latter, they wouldn't dare do that when an obviously local Thai person is the fare, I wouldn't have thought.

Is the distance, in kilometers, indicated on the taxi meter? I assume it must be if you have records. I've always just focused on the amount of the fare.

Guest fountainhall

Is the distance, in kilometers, indicated on the taxi meter?

Both distance and time spent not moving (or, to be accurate, I think that means moving very slowly) are recorded on the meter and can easily be seen by the passenger. I really have no idea how meters are doctored. But I note that most drivers who pick up at the official taxi stands at the airport have to spend a long time waiting - often more than an hour (hence the Bt. 50 surcharge). That gives them plenty of time to reset a meter - if they know how to do so without tampering with the metal seal.

To know when you are being cheated, you have to know the real distance between A and B and what the real fare should be. I guess to make a complaint, you also have to have some sort of proof. Some, but not all, taxis now have receipt dispensers. I will now always ask for one because these should record distance, a fare breakdown and time of day. For longer airport runs where I believe the meter has been doctored, I will also have a camera at the ready!

Frankly, if it's just a short in-town trip, I'm not bothered if I have to pay an extra Bt. 10 - 20 or so. Taxis are still pretty cheap. But I'm no longer going to accept 35% more on an airport run!

. . . the lowest level - you will emerge into an area where you will see a couple of desks and a load of taxis lined up. Go to one of the desks and tell them where you want to go. They'll write this on a ticket for a taxi driver, and give you a copy of the ticket. It has the driver's number on it - it's for your use if you need to complain.

Usually I take taxi from upper level. It cut 50 Bahts of airport fare and I never meet doctored meter there - drivers have no time for manipulation there.

Moses, I presume you mean the area where taxis drop passengers off at departures. As Ceejay has explained by going to the official taxi rank you are logged into the system so can complain if need be. I've never had to do this and I am sure it's seldom necessary to do that, but even though I am paying an extra 50 baht and sometimes waiting a bit longer I shall continue to use the official rank. It ought to deter cheating taxi drivers too, as per Fountainhall's experience, but it would seem that's not always the case.

Guest fountainhall

I am not sure if meters are actually tampered with whilst they wait at the airport. That was purely a guess. But when I think more about it, the less I think that is likely - for how will they get the meter readjusted back once they are in the city? I don't think tampering with a meter is an easy job. So perhaps they have just use tampered meters all the time!

I rarely go up to Departures to pick up a cab. As Rogie mentions, you have no rights if the taxi takes you a roundabout way to your destination - or even if the driver were to drive off a side road where accomplices are waiting! At least when you depart at the lower level, the dispatcher tells the driver where to go, notes the details, and you get a piece of paper with all the taxi's information and complaints procedure.

I am not sure if meters are actually tampered with whilst they wait at the airport. That was purely a guess. But when I think more about it, the less I think that is likely - for how will they get the meter readjusted back once they are in the city? I don't think tampering with a meter is an easy job. So perhaps they have just use tampered meters all the time!

I think the cheaters just use night tariff at day-time.

Yes, I take taxi from upper ramp - from drop off zone. I did that many times for years (more than 15 times for sure). No one time I have been stopped or even asked to go downstairs. If nobody from officials is worrying about why should I worry about then?

By the way - it is best way to get car to Pattaya just for 900-1000 Baht.

Guest fountainhall

I think the cheaters just use night tariff at day-time.

Is there a night rate in Thailand? I never heard of that.

But even if there is a night rate, the meter would still show the distance travelled at around 34 kms to my condo. In both the 'tampered' cases I mentioned, the distance was nearer 45 kms. So that increase cannot be explained by a different rate per km.

Guest dingoposer

I have been ripped off at the desk, woman there insisted I pay 700baht as my partner and I had too much luggage and needed a station wagon,, we didn't have all that much, three medium size suitcases.I tried to argue but she insisted I pay her 700baht. I did in the end. Have heard from friends that they also have been asked to pay up front 400baht cash up front because it was late at night and there was a late fee.

When I get an honest driver and arrive at hotel with say 270 baht showing on the meter I tip well, would round it off at 400baht anyway. Have been told I shouldn't do this as it spoils it for other tourists but the poor guys don't make a great living and usually have young families to support.

Guest fountainhall

I have been ripped off at the desk, woman there insisted I pay 700baht as my partner and I had too much luggage and needed a station wagon,

That is indeed a rip off, and it's interesting because I have not heard of the desk ladies doing this before. I guess there are always new angles.

I have sometimes had a station wagon taxi, even with just carry on luggage. It's the luck of the draw. And they charge no more than the regular smaller taxis.

I have been ripped off at the desk, woman there insisted I pay 700baht as my partner and I had too much luggage and needed a station wagon

Surely the correct approach is to stand your ground and politely but firmly insist you are not going to pay the 700 baht?

Guest snapshot

I have been ripped off at the desk, woman there insisted I pay 700baht as my partner and I had too much luggage and needed a station wagon,, we didn't have all that much, three medium size suitcases.I tried to argue but she insisted I pay her 700baht. I did in the end. Have heard from friends that they also have been asked to pay up front 400baht cash up front because it was late at night and there was a late fee.

When I get an honest driver and arrive at hotel with say 270 baht showing on the meter I tip well, would round it off at 400baht anyway. Have been told I shouldn't do this as it spoils it for other tourists but the poor guys don't make a great living and usually have young families to support.

I would've told her to f--- off and gone to the departures level to get cab but understand you may not have been as familiar with the airport.

I usually got the the upper level, departures level to get a cab. Just grab whatever incoming cab you see and tell them to use the meter. Should be around 250 baht + tolls to get to Silom.

Guest bbillybb

So has anyone takem a meter taxi from the airport to pattaya 2nd rd area I am trying to estimate the fee..I arrive very early in the am flight midnit in Bkk..i know some services charge about 1100 cheapest ive seen,

So has anyone takem a meter taxi from the airport to pattaya 2nd rd area I am trying to estimate the fee..I arrive very early in the am flight midnit in Bkk..i know some services charge about 1100 cheapest ive seen,

Meter taxi to Pattaya uses fixed prices but not meter. Normal price is 1000 baht (toll fee incl)

Driver can ask you to change car by the way, it is OK.

A small addition to this thread (I think I posted something about it elsewhere a couple of months back, but cannot locate it). And a word of warning about doctored taxi meters.

In the 3 months period from around April - June, I had two public taxis departing from the airport with doctored meters resulting in my paying considerably more than on other trips. So, I paid much closer attention to the details on the meter when I returned late last Monday. The trip from the airport started around 12:30 a.m. and there were no hold-ups. By the Rama IV turn-off, the meter read -

32.55 kms, no waiting time, and the total was Bt. 211

By the time I got to my condo, the readings were

34 kms, 1 minute waiting time and Bt. 221

So with the Bt. 50 airport charge and Bt. 70 expressway tolls, the total was Bt. 341 – which is roughly what I have always been paying recently for returns at that time of night.

When you look at the pricing charts in the back of most taxis, this is almost exactly what the cost should be. For the same route at roughly the same times, the doctored meters had showed around 45 kms - roughly Bt. 80 more. I would have complained to the tourist police, but I had stupidly not taken down every detail. Now that I know exactly what it should be in terms of kms. driven, I will be much more eagle-eyed!

I flew into Sivarnabhumi on Sunday early evening. I got a taxi at the public rank as I always do, gave my destination as the Malaysia Hotel, and was immediately allocated a driver. Interestingly, there was a long line of taxi drivers Qing up for a fare, but whether that is salient to what followed, I have no idea.

I thought the meter was turning over a bit quick but at first gave it little thought. However, by the time we turned off the expressway I was getting very suspicious. The final fare to the hotel was 350 baht. I knew from experience this was a greatly exaggerated amount. (As always I had already paid the 70 baht in toll fees). That meant a total fare of 400 baht by the time the 50 baht airport surcharge was added.

Like Fountainhall, with a somewhat similar journey to his condo I believe, past taxi journeys have usually been around 220 baht to the Malaysia. There was no way I was going to hand over 400 baht!

But. . . and a big but, I was no longer in possession of the slip of paper, the one headed FOR PASSENGER in red ink. He had taken it from me as soon as I had got into the cab. I needed it back. It took at least a minute of at time heated argument before he reluctantly gave it back to me. Although by now I was almost 100% sure he'd fiddled the meter, I knew there had been talk of raising taxi fares so I asked him if fares had gone up but as far as I could tell from his reply they hadn't.

By now he was clearly scared that I'd file a complaint, so when it came to deciding a 'fair' fare he asked for 250 baht. I gave him 300 baht not expecting any change (because of the 50 baht airport surcharge) but he insisted on giving me 50 baht change.

So what best to do, forget it or file a complaint. I do not have any evidence other than what I have already mentioned, and I did not check the distance travelled as per Fountainhall's post above as up till now I have never knowingly been ripped off so have never bothered to do any more than check the amount. Has anyone ever filed a complaint, and if so what was the outcome, or do they just end up on some bureaucrats desk only for him to chuck them straight into the w.p.b.

Guest fountainhall

I have not filed a complaint - yet! But I have come across three dodgy meters during in-town taxi trips just in the last month alone. Meters usually have a waiting time display on the top left and a distance display on the top right. 'Time' is supposed to be time spent either not moving or moving very slowly. Twice I have had meters which were clocking up both time and distance simultaneously - even though the taxi was doing a decent speed and only had to stand idle for less than one minute.

On another occasion, the distance was clearly clicking over faster than it should and, as in Rogie's case, the total was considerably more than it should have been. In that case, I gave the driver only what I'd normally pay and made a show of taking his name and number. He did not complain!

I see that in Bangkok new meters are slowly being installed which have a print-out receipt. These ought to give a detailed time and distance reading and cut down on fleecing the passengers. Until installation is completed, though, the only advice I have for anyone travelling from the airport is they must ensure they keep their part of the despatch form (one half of the whole page), for this has the taxi details, the time of departure and the address for complaints, and only give the driver his quarter part of the page.

Considering the cheating, dirty taxis and frequent lack of seatbelts, I prefer to avoid taxis wherever possible.

For those travelling light, the airport rail link can be a good option for Bangkok.

For Pattaya, there are some bus services. They take a little longer, which I find to be acceptable after a short regional flight. That wouldn't be the case after a long haul flight though.

Yes, they cheat, but I remember when the cleating was more blatant and if you took a tuk-tuk you would end up at some sales place and not where you wanted to go. I don't go to Bangkok a lot, but over the years I have found taxis easier to deal with then earlier experiences. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Like Moses, I always take Taxis from the upper level, as I dislike lines.

Laugh if you want, but I always look for a budda statue on the dash and have almost always got honest drivers.

Guest fountainhall

I agree that most drivers are honest and that the taxi service in general is both cheap and quite efficient (except in heavy rain when many just refuse to go short distances).

My last arrival in the early hours of April 9 co-incided with the start of Songkran week. As I stated in another thread, when I got to the public taxi queue, there were only 3 or 4 taxis waiting and the queues were so long they snaked right back into the building. I could see the wait would be 30 minutes or more and I was so tired that all I wanted to do was get home fast. Having completely failed to find any way back up to the Arrivals area to take one of the rip-off AOT taxis (Bt. 1,200!), I went up to the top level. A driver offered a ride for Bt. 500 inclusive of tolls. I agreed, but said he must be fast. No problem. "Fast - OK," he said.

Well, when we were up on the roadway from the airport, he suddenly turned off left. I tried to stop him, but he continued anyway. We then spent 5 minutes both stopping at traffic lights and going round various roads before coming to a gas station. Just 5 minutes, he said. Had I realised that gasohol took so long to fill up - it was almost 7 minutes - I'd have got out and taken one of the cabs which had already filled up and were leaving. But I waited.

Eventually, 12 minutes into this "fast" return home, the driver snaked around more roads until we got caught at a level crossing where a train was about to pass! After 3 minutes when the train had still not appeared, I lost it! I should have been over half way home by then, and I was still not out of the airport complex!

So I got out of the cab, took my bag and hailed one of the many cabs which were behind us. The original driver got out, chased me and told the other driver not to take me. Fine! That didn't worry me. There were plenty of cabs. So I just waited at the side of the road. The driver started shouting at me, but I just stood there. He then threw my bag to the ground and stormed off (no doubt to get a very fast pick up back at the airport). I got another cab and was home in 25 minutes.

There's no real moral to the tale, other than taxis from the official rank are regulated (kind of), whereas picking up one from Arrivals can have unexpected consequences.

But one last barb at the airport taxi service. BKK has been open more than 5 years. Yet, the official taxi service at ground level remains antiquated and deserving of third world status. Why do the poor dispatchers have to sit in the horribly hot and fume-laden air? Why do passengers have to endure waits, however short, in such archaic conditions? Sorry, guys, but it is yet another illustration of how Suvarnabhumi takes the shine right off any positive passenger experience.