TotallyOz

Hey Gay Thailand, want to know what Gay Rio is like?

Guest thaiworthy

Thanks, Michael. Personally I'll stay with Thailand. I think that clip caters to a particular breed of affluent fun-loving, youth. Sex, sun, shopping and booze aren't always the sole components of every tourist. Comparing Thailand's promotional reels with Rio's, I am certain I will see a lot more culture and history, but considering the target market, that may not be too surprising. Some of us older folk have grown out of that and personally I would want to know more about a country's people and how they think than anything else. And you can learn more about a country's future by studying their past.

Guest HeyGay

A few more Brazilian lads!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkBqCCXVAqM

Yes thanks for bringing us that wonderful icing sugared view of Rio even though it must be one of the most dangerous places in the World to visit and you do take your life in your hands visiting there, but you can be unlucky in most Countries even Thailand, if you have anything to do with Motorbikes, the biggest killer here.

South America really behind all that rosy picture they paint is quite a chilling place to go, as there is so many poor people living just behind all the tourists areas, last time I was there in 3 weeks, there was 9 Murders muggings by the dozens, one on the beach 100 years from where we were sitting, the robbers only stole the mans beach cloths, very little money, they killed him and ran off, then off duty police shot about 12 of the street urchins, they said the police are paid to clean them up as many run in a shop and grab what they can, so the police shoot a few, leave them laying in the street as a warning, then we went to a Bar and a Gun fight was going on out side, we could not leave for 45 minutes, on top of that we went to a very nice restaurant up in the mountains, it was held up by bandits we thought it was a cabaret like Disney World put on by alas No, the robbers slowly started to take anything the diner guest had, then the police stormed in and shot them all, we had to step over them one by one blood oozing out very nasty.

But apart from that the guys are big in all the right places, and it is such a Hot atmophere there it may be better or cleaned up a bit more now, have a boy if you can get a montage to pay them, some guys when I was there were asking 800 dollars for a couple of days sex, amazing money and the slum boys who some were verty handsome but looks can kill, they were asking next to nothing to kill and rob you, unless you paid an armed Body Guard as we had to have in the end.

So yes go if you stay in the tourist areas or know some one who lives there and can take care of you, if not be very careful in deed.

I must prefer CUBA for Big Guys and until the Americans get there hands on it and ruins it with Mac Donald

Guest fountainhall

South America really behind all that rosy picture they paint is quite a chilling place to go, as there is so many poor people living just behind all the tourists areas . . . go if you stay in the tourist areas or know some one who lives there and can take care of you, if not be very careful in deed.

That's a hugely sweeping and largely inaccurate statement. True, it may be accurate in Rio with its favelas. But in two visits to South America, including a 3-week trip around several parts of Argentina, Chile and Peru only 6 months ago, I saw absolutely nothing remotely like your description. I do not go on organised tours. I arrange everything myself and particularly enjoy wandering off the usual tourist trails. I felt as safe in the bigger cities like Buenos Aires, Santiago and Lima as I did in the several smaller ones on my trip.

Indeed, I have felt less comfortable in several places in Asia - like Manila, for example.

Guest HeyGay

Considering the topic is Rio I was talking about that and Sao Paulo I dont know where you get all the other places from or you just want Us to know you have been there.

Guest fountainhall

Considering the topic is Rio . . .

Oh really? And I suppose you will now claim it was not really you who broadened the subject to include the entire continent :o

South America really behind all that rosy picture they paint is quite a chilling place to go

Guest fountainhall

its not Rocket Science you know :blush:

Indeed not. But I suppose in addition to someone from the UK who came top in an English teaching course writing in a style that would embarrass a child and expecting it to make sense, you now expect readers to decide that using the term "South America" actually only means "Rio". Oh, I see you also mention "Sao Paolo". But the thread title is Rio, is it not? :o

As has been said before on several Boards, how can you expect people to understand you when you have such a problem communicating what you want to say! (And please don't come up with the usual response about, "believe me", the hundred of supporting emails from around the world!)

Guest HeyGay

Indeed not. But I suppose in addition to someone from the UK who came top in an English teaching course writing in a style that would embarrass a child and expecting it to make sense, you now expect readers to decide that using the term "South America" actually only means "Rio". Oh, I see you also mention "Sao Paolo". But the thread title is Rio, is it not? :o

HeyGay says :- No its not my writing style,, "that cant be that bad as so many keep coming back to read it", Im talking about, I was disgussing the Title its big enough????

Hey Gay Thailand, want to know what Gay Rio is like"?

Look, I feel comfortable in Rio and Sao Paulo but I go all the time and I am usually accompanied by a boy that stays with me when I am there.

I go out often at night alone and do not worry but I am smart and I don't do stupid things.

I feel just as safe in Rio as I do in LA or NYC or Pattaya. But, I travel a great deal and I am careful where I go and I try to listen to locals.

I have never been robbed in Rio and never had any issues there. I have been there over 30 times in the last 8 years and I love every trip. I will go back again and again as I feel comfortable there.

I'll admit I stay in nice hotels and I pick nice guys to accompany me most places. But, I do the same thing in Thailand and USA and Prague and Barcelona.

Guest fountainhall

Im talking about, I was disgussing the Title its big enough????

No need to get annoyed about being corrected.

If you not intend to divert from a topic title, then do not specifically state "South America really behind all that rosy picture they paint is quite a chilling place to go . . . " when, as only later you tell us, what you really meant to say was "Rio really behind . . ." Had you written that, you would have made your comments perfectly clear.

I have been to Rio - and actually agree with much of what you say about it. But your comments certainly do not refer to South America as a whole.

Guest HeyGay

Yes Michael I also feel safe in MADRID, BARCELONA CUBA URAGUAY, COMLUMBIA AND But when I lived in Ft Lardidar I did not feel safe driving to MIAMI or Down town LA I feel safe In New York Though and I live Montrial I dont feel safe In Mexico or the Philipines, get off the tourist areas of RIO and some psrts of BRAZIL and I dont feel safe there as I said, we are not all street wise like you and thats the person Im talkung to you do have to have some one who knows the area with you as I said and you confirmed or a Body Gurd as we had one time.

Even though all of South America is so exciting to travel around take busses and hire cars and trains, your meet some amazing people, but just be very careful is all Im saying, its is dangerous. aviod certain places, I have been to, but wont be going back to, like Caracas Venezuela, Cuidad Juarez, Mexico, Guatemala City, Guatemala, a place I loved but is very dangerous off the Tourist areas is Capetown South Africa I also found New Orleans, USA very dangerous but as we say becareful where evere you are when your in Thailand its the Motorbikes that kill you but at least you feel safe walking down a Dark Road at 3 am.

Guest HeyGay

If you need any more convincing just read on and on, there ius so much negative press on how dangerous Brazil is, its a wonder they have any tourist there at all.

Of course if your like Michael and been many times and has to admit to having a local to show him where and what not to do of visit or as we had an Armed guard Im talking to a Guy who just want to visit Brazil and is not aware how dangerous it is.

Sao Paulo is latin america's most dangerous city, then caracas venezuela, and rio de janeiro brazil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

For anyone traveling to Brazil, it is not a matter of whether you get mugged, it is a matter of when! Grinding poverty still lives alongside incredible wealth in a country that is riding a wave of economic growth. But with prosperity, rates of crime have also soared. Street crime is rampant in parts of Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paolo, and whilst many victims are left unharmed, having a broken bottle put to your throat for your bracelet is not pleasant. The incidences of

Guest fountainhall

I also feel safe in . . . CUBA

Cuba seems to have been an 'in' place to go for a number of years. Do you reckon it's still worth a trip? I've always wanted to go, but before it becomes too much of a tourist trap.

Guest HeyGay

Cuba seems to have been an 'in' place to go for a number of years. Do you reckon it's still worth a trip? I've always wanted to go, but before it becomes too much of a tourist trap.

CUBA is Great fun, many guys but now they seem to be stopping the out of town guys coming into Havana but there is still many guys to be had and all are very big and nice its more like going back to the 1950s there lets hope you go before the Americans ruin it with vulgar KFC and Mc Donald's on each corner.

You will do best to stay in a Casa Particular as you see here if you want to bring any one back, after a while your know the best ones to stay in, but be warned the food is not all that good and the police hound the boys, if they walk with a westerner and you cant bring boys back to hotels.

But apart from that's its great you can now go in Gay Groups from America, if that's where you're from.

ttp://aleidoprivate...e.blogspot.com/

Guest fountainhall

Thanks for the useful information and the weblink. I'm from the UK originally but have not lived there since the late 1970s.

in this topic-as I am thinking about a Spouth_America trip (nothing decided yet). I remember having seen the ''protocol'' for these Brasil sauna-boys somehwere, maybe this, maybe the other Thao boards. Recently someone said, they are recognisable as they wear swimmers and no towels. But then? You just use a sauna-cubicle? Payments for services? Has anyone seen ofr have some own experience for Argentina/Buenos Aires- for this trip this ncountry in fact interests me more.

Guest fountainhall

Pong, I hope you don't limit your sightseeing to the Rio/Buenos Aires sauna scenes. South America has some of the most amazing scenery in the world. From Rio and Buenos Aires, it's easy to get flights to the Iguazu Falls - huge compared to Niagara, down to El Calafate to see the massive Perito Moreno glacier (one of the few still advancing) and from there across the border to Chile to see the amazing Torres del Paine National Park.

I posted a trip report with photos on gaybutton's site - http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1870 Here are just 3 pics.

post-1892-075118400 1310269201.jpg

post-1892-001542700 1310269238.jpg

post-1892-009301400 1310270240.jpg

Thanks for the link Fountainhall. I had not read that and the photos you took were fantastic.

I admit I often get caught up in the sauna scene there daily but have ventured out to many great areas in Brazil. I now need to venture out into different countries in South America.

Guest fountainhall

Sorry I can't tell you much about the gay life as my trip was almost exclusively for sightseeing parts of the continent that have fascinated me for ages. Since I spent 27 nights in 11 different hotels/B&Bs, there was really not much time. In any case, I have always considered myself a total rice queen!

As mentioned in my report on gb's site, I did meet one lovely guy in Cusco. When you fly there, it's usually from Lima, which means you ascend 3,300 meters in less than an hour and you quickly find you have zero energy. Friends advised me to drink lots of the cocoa tea and rest for 5 hours before even walking through the town (which was one of the highlights of my trip). Out of interest, I got on to gayromeo and found there were around 120 guys listed, several of whom were on line. So the next evening, I met up with one and had a great time. Guess I realised what I'd been missing!