Guest fountainhall

Largest-Ever Single Aircraft Order Announced

Guest fountainhall

It seems air travel industry chiefs are starting to paint a much rosier picture of the future, if orders at this week’s Paris Air Show are anything to go by. Airbus has just announced the largest-ever single order for aircraft – 180 from Indian budget carrier IndiGo for 30 A320s and 150 of the new fuel-efficient A320neo jets.

But that record is not likely to stand for long. Reuters and the Asian Wall Street Journal are saying Air Asia will swamp that with an order for 200 A320neos and options to purchase 100 more.

Personally I'm not a fan of the A320. It's narrower than the Boeing 737 and is essentially a 5-across economy seating configuration. Yet, most airlines are squeezing in 6-across. I did a 3-hour flight in Europe in March on a full-service carrier (Finnair), and felt extremely cramped.

No word yet on sales from from Boeing which unveiled its new 747-800 series at the Show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13884433

The continuing improvement in efficiency is good for the consumer, as it helps to offset the increase in oil price.

I guess it may cause difficulties for some flag carriers stuck with old fleets, but the consumer would probably be better served if most of these shut down.

Most of my 737 or A320 flights are between 1 & 2.5 hours in duration. As long as I get the extra legroom from the emergency exit row or front row, these planes are comfortable enough. Such seats are usually secured for a very modest fee, or even being last onto the boarding gate bus and then very swiftly first off it.

The latter manoeuvre is particularly satisfying.