TotallyOz

Difference between Thai Spicy and Mexican Spicy

I always have Thai guys I know say that Thai food is similar to Mexican food. Being a lover of all things Mexican, I tell them that is not the case. But, I can't seem to explain the difference other than Mexican food is more peppers and Thai food is not. Anyone have a better way to explain the difference?

I always have Thai guys I know say that Thai food is similar to Mexican food. Being a lover of all things Mexican, I tell them that is not the case. But, I can't seem to explain the difference other than Mexican food is more peppers and Thai food is not. Anyone have a better way to explain the difference?

The peppers used are different and have entirely different flavor and heat.

so since when do the Thai roll a taco around every bit of chicken+veg?

It in fact surprises me a bit, that MEX food (or even tex-mex) has not taken the Thai by storm-there are (AFAIK) just 3-4 not that much visited Mex restrts in BKK. Against a million or so of Italians-some even quite good. Maybe it is that Mex food always gave me the runs when there and Thai food does not...........????

I distinguis between chili-spicy and ginger-spicy. I don't like (chili) spicy food, so don't order food that is marked as "spicy" in the menu. Once I was eating with friends and they ordered spicy (ginger) chicken coconut soup (if I remember correctly), which I liked very much, but would never have ordered as it is "spicy", but ginger and not chili!

Mexican food is just plain hot from the chilies. The difference in Thai food is that in addition to the warmth from the chilies you have other flavors that you can actually taste.

Mexican food is just plain boring compared to Thai food. In addition, Mexican food just isn't very healthy!

post-8279-008524900 1309359101.jpg

Guest thaiworthy

Yikes! That's quite a photo. I may never eat Mexican again. By contrast, I have never seen a fat Thai person, although I am sure there are some. How much of obesity in Thailand can be attributed to the food they eat, and how much to metabolism? Is it the heredity in Asians that allows them so stay so thin? If, say, a Thai person ate a lot of Mexican food, would he ever look the man in this picture?

Guest fountainhall

I have never seen a fat Thai person, although I am sure there are some

Wait a few years. I now see so many kids of both sexes who are not just overweight, but considerably so. Worse, their parents take them to places like Starbucks and happily buy them the highest calorie and sweetest drinks.

Wait a few years. I now see so many kids of both sexes who are not just overweight, but considerably so. Worse, their parents take them to places like Starbucks and happily buy them the highest calorie and sweetest drinks.

Have you seen the line at Krispy Kreme every day? It is crazy!

I have never seen a fat Thai person

I've got to get you to an optician, boy! While the obesity problem in Thailand is not even close to the horizontal challenges in the west, I've been remarking for 3 or 4 years at all the fat Thai kids that are all of a sudden popping up. It's not a problem culturally as yet as fat is still considered by many as a sign of wealth and well-being (you never see any skinny buddha statutes, that's for sure). Yet, I'm occasionally alarmed in Chiangmai when I see a 5-10 year-old kid who's not only fat but morbidly so.

As referenced by Fountainhill, I mark it all down to a slow change of diet. 10+ years ago, you'd almost never see a Thai eat sweets or in one of the fast food places whereas now they're the main customers. Unfortunately, if they keep it up, all our other 'good' western things (heart issues, diabetes, and the like) will come along with the so-called "good" life.

Another big change I've seen over the last decade+ is the height of the kids. I'm 6'1" and a decade ago I never ran into kids in Chiangmai who were as tall as me (with one exception when I once ran into the Thai national volleyball team at Don Muang - those guys were giants by Thai standards). Now, on an almost daily basis, I see college-age and even some high-school kids on the west end of Chiangmai between 6' tall and 6'4". I'm guessing this might be also related to diet but heck if I know.

Guest Thor69

Mexican and Tex-Mex food is based on cumin. That flavor goes well with poblanos and such but not well at all with Thai chilies.

On a trip back to California I made my b/f some crispy tacos. For me it was heaven but he didn't like it at all.

No, he wouldn't like tacos at all. Compared to Thai food they're nasty!

Mexican food doesn't have cumin in it at all. Some spanish food does but not Mexican.

Thai food has different tastes or flavors. Thais use sweet, sour, salt and spicy. Mexicans use chilies and the same basic ingredients in every dish. The only common denominator is that both Mexican and Thais use cilantro.

post-10987-028265100 1309385970.jpg

Guest fountainhall

I mark it all down to a slow change of diet. 10+ years ago, you'd almost never see a Thai eat sweets or in one of the fast food places whereas now they're the main customers.

A dentist I visited soon after I moved to Hong Kong in 1979 made the same remark. He found he was seeing far more kids than a few years earlier, and put it down to the fad for western fast foods. Even now, though, I do not see as many fat kids on my regular visits to Hong Kong as I do here in Bangkok.

Guest kjun12

Mexican food doesn't have cumin in it at all. Some spanish food does but not Mexican.

You, sir, are absolutely, positively incorrect. Mexican food does contain cumin.

Guest Thor69

You, sir, are absolutely, positively incorrect. Mexican food does contain cumin.

I apologize kind sir. I am in error. I was thinking of another ingredient, not cumin.

However, that still doesn't change things, Mexican food is not very healthy and it is

dreadful! :rolleyes: