Using the hotel safe

Guest snapshot

No need to be discrete as long as you are not awkward about it. When you walk into your room, just casually toss your wallet, phone etc. in the safe as you would toss them in a drawer at home. That's for one-nighters. If I'm traveling with them, I tell them the pin so they can use the safe for their own stuff too.

You can have a problem with room safes in even the better hotels. Once I was staying in a well known name brand hotel on Suriwong Road, Bangkok and my American Express card was removed and used to buy some jewelry in Chiang Mai. So, as safe as you think room safes are, they aren't.

Guest snapshot

Do you mind naming that hotel? I only know one that fits your description but don't want to speculate if that is it as it would be unfair.

If I had something removed from a hotel safe, the hotel would be named and shamed on as many forums as possible. Otherwise there's no incentive for them to maintain security and a good reputation.

Guest Geezer

Geezer thats rubbish. They dont have to call Bangkok. They just come to your room with a key and it opens. They have a over ride key. The same as every hotel that has the digital safe. I am not saying you were not told this but beleive me its rubbish. Also i got a lot of pms and threats when this was mentioned before. I am only trying to help you guys not to get into the position that i was in. It was very unpleasant. When i saw the taped version, i checked out the next day and booked into the Hard Rock Hotel.

I have said all i can on the matter now its upto you if you want to leave stuff in your safe.

Sorry, but I must disagree. It was my room, and I watched from beginning to end.

One of the hotels owners came to my room with a hand-held electronic gadget which he plugged into the safe. After working with it for several minutes to no avail the owner called BKK, and after a brief conversation opened the safe.

No physical key in the conventional sense of the word was used, only the hand-held electronic device with a digital display.

Guest Martelly

Geezer, I choose to disagree. Unless they have changed in the last year. I know they have a key that opens the safe.

You may have seen a act, which believe me I have seen also. But if your safe could not open it means they were in your safe earlier. I got told that the electric storm change all the numbers to the safe. They came to the room with a override key. Stuff was missing. I then got told that all safes at cafe royal, ambience and now cop a are battery operated. So how did the storm change the number.

Also later I was told by one of the partners at the time, that he knew they did this and it was common practice with them. They did not always steal, sometimes they were just being nosy.

This is not made up, I wish it was. But if you say there electric operated upto you, but don't say you were not warned.

Do you mind naming that hotel? I only know one that fits your description but don't want to speculate if that is it as it would be unfair.

I mention the incident just to make you aware of the problem with hotel safes. It would serve

no purpose to name the hotel. Trashing a person or a business is simply something I care not to do.

If I had something removed from a hotel safe, the hotel would be named and shamed on as many forums as possible. Otherwise there's no incentive for them to maintain security and a good reputation.

That is your right to do as you wish, just as it is my right not to disclose the hotel's name.

There is no purpose in trashing anyone or any business. If they persist on doing the wrong

things that particular hotel will eventually have their ability to accept credit cards taken from

them. That would be punishment enough!

Guest Geezer

Geezer, I choose to disagree. Unless they have changed in the last year. I know they have a key that opens the safe.

You may have seen a act, which believe me I have seen also. But if your safe could not open it means they were in your safe earlier. I got told that the electric storm change all the numbers to the safe. They came to the room with a override key. Stuff was missing. I then got told that all safes at cafe royal, ambience and now cop a are battery operated. So how did the storm change the number.

Also later I was told by one of the partners at the time, that he knew they did this and it was common practice with them. They did not always steal, sometimes they were just being nosy.

This is not made up, I wish it was. But if you say there electric operated upto you, but don't say you were not warned.

I’m sorry to be brusk, but the fact is I was there. Associate wasn‘t. I carefully watched what transpired. Associate didn’t.

Associate stated when the safe fails to open with the numerical code programmed by the guest it indicates someone has opened it with a key.

I know that to be wrong. I had just opened the safe, then accidentally slammed the door hard. I attempted to open it again and couldn’t. Certainly no one had opened it with a key in the interim.

(By the way, in my condo is a safe with an electronic keypad. It can also be opened with a key. Opening it with the key has no effect on the keypad.)

Although neither ceejay nor myself require corroboration, our experiences coincide.

I and, perhaps, ceejay are offended when told our observations are incorrect by one who was not even present.

Guest Thor69

Years ago in the Ambiance I inadvertently slammed the door of the room safe causing it to loose battery power for an instant, clearing its

Trashing a person or a business is simply something I care not to do.

Reporting fact is not trashing a business, rather it's providing information which may allow other consumers to protect their own interests.

If a hotel has not taken sufficient steps to ensure the room safes cannot be breached, the consumer should know about it.

Whatever next? Should we not mention the string of suspicious deaths in one Northern Thai hotel & allow more customers to die?

Guest Martelly

Geezer, I am not saying what happened to you did not happen. I am sorry if it came across that I did. All I am saying that by experience and what happened to me things were not the same. If you say they had to call someone then maybe they did,, who knows.

I only know what I saw and a old partner on the other forum can and will confirm about the safes.

Guest fountainhall

Reporting fact is not trashing a business, rather it's providing information which may allow other consumers to protect their own interests.

If a hotel has not taken sufficient steps to ensure the room safes cannot be breached, the consumer should know about it.

I'm not sure I agree. Most hotels (certainly up-market ones I have stayed in - and I'd assume also the brand name one referred to by Jason 1988) also have printed advice in the rooms that the room safes are there for guests' temporary convenience. Hotels take no responsibility for loss or theft. Guests are still advised to place valuables in the safety deposit boxes at or near reception.

I will happily put small amounts of cash, credit cards I am not using, home keys, travel documents and passport in them. Anything more valuable goes downstairs, especially larger amounts of cash. (Although Thai law states you must always carry your passport, I carry laminated photocopies of the information and retirement visa pages. If I am ever asked to show my passport, I am hoping this will be acceptable!)

There are other reasons why I would not post a hotel

So, to name and shame a hotel in such circumstances is, I suggest, not only unfair to the hotel; there are circumstances when it could be almost libelous.

If property goes missing from a hotel safe, than to factually report that should not be libelous in the west. Maybe in Thailand, who knows?

If people take proper care and still have property removed from a safe, them the hotels should investigate the matter. If there is a string of thefts, the hotel should be able to work out who is culpable & call in the police.

However, if the whole thing is always hushed up, then innocent customers will continue to be victims of theft.

If property goes missing from a hotel safe, than to factually report that should not be libelous in the west. Maybe in Thailand, who knows?

If people take proper care and still have property removed from a safe, them the hotels should investigate the matter. If there is a string of thefts, the hotel should be able to work out who is culpable & call in the police.

However, if the whole thing is always hushed up, then innocent customers will continue to be victims of theft.

The hotel's security and the police were notified. Fingerprints were taken from the credit card and the safe. The employee was located and charges were filed.

American Express removed the charge and everything turned out well.

Someday, when you grow up and have a business, you'll understand why it is best not to trash people and business via the internet.

As I am a guest and a visitor in Thailand, I choose not to make waves that could one day come back to haunt me. I would also advise anyone that is a visitor or on a retirement visa not to cause any trouble as causing a Thai to lose face can get you a death wish. Things as we know them in the west do not apply in Thailand. But again, you do as you wish.

Guest fountainhall

If property goes missing from a hotel safe, than to factually report that should not be libelous in the west.

My comment related to the possibility, however remote, that the safe had been left open accidentally by the guest, or that the guest had to a certain extent contributed to the theft by using an easily accessible code. Taken with the hotel's written warnings about use of the safes, some might consider that to be close to libel.

Guest thaiworthy

I don't why some have this special sense of security when using a personal hotel room safe. There have been stories published about unscrupulous hotel cleaning ladies/men who employ a technique that enables them to gain access to your safe.

They clean the safe's keypad every day, but not before noting the smudges on four of the keys. If you use four different numbers, then there are four keys with smudges. That amounts to many combinations they would have to try in order to hit your code. Obviously using three or less numbers allows for fewer attempts for them to reproduce on the pad to gain access to your safe. It's just a matter of the right combinations and a little luck, but it has happened successfully.

If there are people dumb enough to leave their valuables out in the open, then there are people just as dumb who will use only three digits, two digits twice, or even one digit four times. When using a safe, wipe the keys clean after every use. Be sure to use four different numbers. That won't keep someone from robbing you blind if they have other means to access your belongings, but that doesn't mean you have to assist them in their effort, and it will slow them down.

Guest fountainhall

If you use four different numbers, then there are four keys with smudges. That amounts to many combinations they would have to try in order to hit your code . . . Be sure to use four different numbers.

Very good advice! I had never before considered the smudge issue. But as to trying various combinations, my understanding is that certainly with the latest type of safes I have seen in hotels, you only have three chances to open them. If you keep punching in a wrong number, there will either be an automatic delay before you can try again, or you have to have the pass numbers reset by the management. That in my view makes it much more difficult for others to access them even knowing the four numbers. Older safes may not be the same, though.

To avoid the smudging issue, keep good personal hygiene and if you are really paranoid, wipe the keyboard.

I shower before going out to the bars, so this shouldn't be a big risk.

Guest ronnie4you

I once left a room safe open with hundreds of dollars easily visible. When I realized my mistake, I tipped the maid $20 for her honesty, and she seemed to have no idea why I did that. Maybe she did not see it?

Guest thaiworthy

I once left a room safe open with hundreds of dollars easily visible. When I realized my mistake, I tipped the maid $20 for her honesty, and she seemed to have no idea why I did that. Maybe she did not see it?

I know how you feel, must have been relieved.

On my last trip I forgot my fanny pack in the men's toilet at MBK. It had my passport, 10,000 baht cash, my medicine, camera and other valuables. I was absolutely panic-stricken. We went to the information counter and there it was, being held for safekeeping by security. The cleaning lady had found it. I had them find her and I tipped her 500 baht. This story could have ended with a very different outcome. I was extremely lucky. You and I should thank Buddha for honest maids and cleaning ladies!

For over a decade, when I used hotels in Thailand, I always had some cash laying around (never more than a couple of thousand baht), cameras, and other items. Not once (out of a whole lot of times) did I ever miss an item or a single baht. As far as I'm concerned, 99% of hotel service people are as honest as can be.

The hotel maid you talk about here is surely someone's daughter and probably somebody's mother. There's no reasonable basis for you to suggest that the only reason she didn't steal your money is because she didn't see it.

Guest ronnie4you

Bob, I think you miss my point. I said she was surprised why I gave her the tip. She might have seen the money and automatically, because she is honest, ignored it and thought nothing more of it. Thus, when I tipped her, she was surprised as the money was not even on her mind. I did not say why I tipped her, just gave her the money. It was hours after she had cleaned my room.

Bob, I think you miss my point.

I possibly misinterpreted your comment "maybe she did not see it?" If so, sorry. With your current explanation, I'm still puzzled at the phraseology but I guess you're saying that the maid possibly never saw the open safe and that's why she was puzzled by your tip. By the by, the amount of your tip (600 baht) probably shocked her a bit.

When I used to stay in hotels in the LOS, I'd typically tip the maid 20 baht per day and usually I'd hand it directly to her/them (usually once a week). While I was always satisfied with the service they gave before I tipped them, I often noticed the extra service they gave thereafter (extra towels, flowers, or whatever). They appreciate the tips (I presume they're paid fairly lousy wages by the hotels).

By the by, the amount of your tip (600 baht) probably shocked her a bit.

I am sure that large of a tip did shcok her. She was just doing her job and she is obviously honest. A tip was not necessary, but it was such a good thing to do. Cool move Ronnie4you.