Guest fountainhall

The World

Guest fountainhall

“World’s Tallest” means little to me. I have been up various buildings which at one time have been called the world’s tallest, and the best view I ever had was from the World Trade Center on my first visit to New York – largely because it was a gloriously clear and sunny morning.

Earlier this week, though, I experienced staying in the world’s tallest hotel – the Ritz-Carlton in Hong Kong. This is several stars above my usual accommodation, but my client paid, and who I am to upset a client! The hotel lobby is on floor 103. My room was on floor 117 – the first time I have had a hotel room with 5 numbers!

At a list price for the most basic room of somewhere over US$600, I don’t recommend anyone even think about splurging just for the view. As the 2 photos below illustrate, my view to the north (i.e. not the good view of Hong Kong island) was covered by mist for 3 out of my 4-nights stay. Plus, the world and his wife seemed to want to come up to see that ‘view’ and eat at the restaurants. Consequently, the 4 high-speed elevators were always full and sometimes required a bit of a wait. In future, I'll be much happier back nearer ground level.

If you happen to be flush, then spend it at the Peninsula or one of the 2 Mandarin Oriental hotels where you get a lot more bang for your buck – or so I am informed!

In one of the malls below the hotel, there was a (quite literally) sparkling silver Mercedes. I have no idea why it was there, but it looked fun. I could imagine Elton John driving around in that! Well, let's be honest! I could even imagine my driving around if someone gave it to me :p

post-1892-010018700 1304662678.jpg

post-1892-092069200 1304662698.jpg

post-1892-048014300 1304662723.jpg

post-1892-099538800 1304662739.jpg

Guest voldemar

That would lead inevitably to comparisons. I would enjoy comparing the world's top hotels in the world's top cities. I suspect I too would enjoy the experience of staying in the world's tallest hotel, but doubt I'd want to make it a habit. Quality rather than gimmicks would count for more in my mind. The tallest hotel is a gimmick, or to be kinder a unique selling point, and that's no mean feat, but it's still a gimmick, call it what you may. The acid test for a hotel, whether it be a humble establishment or a grand dame of a place is how much repeat custom they attract.

In places with excessive hotel capacity one typically pays exactly for what hotel has to offer. And the reasons are precisely those you indicated. HK, BKK or Pattaya are definitely belong to this class. I yet to see overpriced place in any of these destinations. E.g. D2 Barracuda is better then nearby Tim boutique in Pattaya and the price difference precisely reflects this IMHO.

Guest fountainhall

Quality rather than gimmicks would count for more in my mind.

My thoughts exactly. I usually stay in much more modest and humble hotels, and enjoy them more than I did the world's tallest earlier in the week. My hotel of choice in Kong Kong is in the very unfashionable Sheung Wan district where I hop on a tram to get to the nearest subway station. Provided the room is not too small, the bed is comfortable, there is a nice shower and it's not in a noisy neighbourhood, I'm basically a happy traveller.

The Ritz-Carlton seems geared very much to the new wealthy mainland Chinese. I suspect more and more of the new high-end hotels around the region will be similarly marketed.

Darn this makes my Holiday Inn look positively plebeian. Oh well, hope you had a good time and glad to see you back. Just out of curiosity did you happen to price that mother-of-pearl Mercedes? Hmmmm, maybe if I save my pennies..........:rolleyes:

Guest voldemar

My thoughts exactly. I usually stay in much more modest and humble hotels, and enjoy them more than I did the world's tallest earlier in the week. My hotel of choice in Kong Kong is in the very unfashionable Sheung Wan district where I hop on a tram to get to the nearest subway station. Provided the room is not too small, the bed is comfortable, there is a nice shower and it's not in a noisy neighbourhood, I'm basically a happy traveller.

The Ritz-Carlton seems geared very much to the new wealthy mainland Chinese. I suspect more and more of the new high-end hotels around the region will be similarly marketed.

I wonder weather your choice is influenced by the fact that Sheung Wan has a couple of gay saunas if I recall correctly... Location, of course, is important be it HK or Pattaya... I frankly prefer Canton Road where I have shopping, my favorite restaurants,banks,

ferry to Macau and movie theater right where I stay... Moving around in HK especially

during rush hours getting more and more difficult...

Guest fountainhall

I wonder weather your choice is influenced by the fact that Sheung Wan has a couple of gay saunas if I recall correctly

Haha! Not at all. Actually I stay nearer the west end of Sheung Wan and there are no gay venues near there (at least none that I am aware of). I simply choose to stay there because of price and comfort. Plus my office is relatively close.

I find the MTR subway is fine for most of my work, so I do not have much trouble getting around.

Guest voldemar

Haha! Not at all. Actually I stay nearer the west end of Sheung Wan and there are no gay venues near there (at least none that I am aware of). I simply choose to stay there because of price and comfort. Plus my office is relatively close.

I find the MTR subway is fine for most of my work, so I do not have much trouble getting around.

I think I was there only once. There is a foundation where you can get anonymous HIV test right near

MTR station. To be honest I would never stay in that area...

Guest fountainhall

To be honest I would never stay in that area...

Most people on business or a quick vacation will obviously prefer to be closer to the centre of either the island or Kowloon. And that almost inevitably means you pay more for your hotel.

Sheung Wan and Western district now have a number of hotels that cater to those who do not want to spend quite as much. My favourite is the Courtyard by Marriott which, if I book far enough ahead, is quite reasonable at around US$140 - $160 per night. Nearby are the Island Pacific and Ramada Hotels. Recently I stayed further west at the very pleasant Traders Hotel - the 'second' hotel of the Shangri-La brand - and the inclusive rate was US$110. For Hong Kong, it's hard to beat these rates.

I have some maps and lists of Hong Kong gay venues which I will try to post on a separate thread.

Guest voldemar

Most people on business or a quick vacation will obviously prefer to be closer to the centre of either the island or Kowloon. And that almost inevitably means you pay more for your hotel.

Sheung Wan and Western district now have a number of hotels that cater to those who do not want to spend quite as much. My favourite is the Courtyard by Marriott which, if I book far enough ahead, is quite reasonable at around US$140 - $160 per night. Nearby are the Island Pacific and Ramada Hotels. Recently I stayed further west at the very pleasant Traders Hotel - the 'second' hotel of the Shangri-La brand - and the inclusive rate was US$110. For Hong Kong, it's hard to beat these rates.

I have some maps and lists of Hong Kong gay venues which I will try to post on a separate thread.

I need to apologize here. I confused Shaw Kei Wan MTR with Sheung Wan. I see no problem

with the area around Sheung Wan MTR (where you stayed). I meant, however,Shaw Kei Wan MTR

and Aids Foundation branch located over there. This is (low) working class residential area and I was very surprised that you stayed over there. Apparently you did not.

Guest fountainhall

I confused Shaw Kei Wan MTR with Sheung Wan.

No problem. In fact, western district also has lots of older buildings and is not the modern Hong Kong you see in post cards. But I find it has tons more atmosphere.

You mention Shau Kei Wan. There is actually a very interesting Museum there - the Museum of Coastal Defence. Well worth a visit if you want a quick history of Hong Kong going way back to the start of the Ming Dynasty around 650 years ago.

Guest voldemar

In fact, western district also has lots of older buildings and is not the modern Hong Kong you see in post cards. But I find it has tons more atmosphere.

You mention Shau Kei Wan. There is actually a very interesting Museum there - the Museum of Coastal Defence. Well worth a visit if you want a quick history of Hong Kong going way back to the start of the Ming Dynasty around 650 years ago.

One can definitely say the same about Shau Kei Wan. It is not HK you can see on post

cards. A branch of Aids foundation is located on Fourth floor of Jockey Club clinic

which is within (easy) walking distance from MTR. To the best of my knowledge it is only one of two places in HK where one can get anonymous HIV test (appointment is necessary).

You may be surprised how run down and poor the clinic is (and yes foundation accepts donations).

By the way, Sheung Wan MTR near which Fountainhall likes

to stay has exit right to Des Voeux Road. It is the place where headquaters of many banks are located. The street is famous cause you can walk in almost any bank and buy Gold coins right over the counter (and compare premiums to Maple Leaves, Pandas etc)In this respect the place is unique.

I need to apologize once again for confusion but I do not use MTR that frequently...

My conscience would never allow me to spend that kind of money or a hotel room, either - but what a view!

You mentioned a restaurant; did you happen to notice what the prices were like for drinks or a meal up there? I'd be up there for a drink and to get some pictures in a heartbeat!

Guest fountainhall

You mentioned a restaurant; did you happen to notice what the prices were like for drinks or a meal up there? I'd be up there for a drink and to get some pictures in a heartbeat!

We ate once at the Italian restaurant, once at the Cantonese restaurant and lunched at the coffee-shop-type restaurant in-between these two. We were most impressed by the quality at the Chinese restaurant. Prices seemed quite reasonable compared with good restaurants nearer ground level, and less expensive than similar restaurants in the other 5-star hotels I mentioned. But that's still not cheap!

A word of warning if you want to eat. I was told there is a 2-week waiting list for dining at the restaurants.

These are all interlinked on level 102, and so you can wander from one to the other to get the best photo-op. One level up they have a lounge called The Chocolate Factory where chocolate in all it many forms are serviced. I kept well away from that! On the top floor (118), there is a wrap-around bar also with what are great views. Sorry to say, drinks when I was up there were free :p

If you can get a clear day or evening, the view over to Hong Kong island will definitely be spectacular.

Guest fountainhall

I have a trip planned to Hong Kong in a few months and am excited to see the hotel but more excited to see the car. :) I was always a Liberace fan and this seems to have been made for him.

I also thought of Liberace as I had seen several of his cars at his Museum in Las Vegas before it closed last year. Sadly, I think the Merc was just a promotion for the Shopping Centre and almost certainly will have disappeared by the time you are there,

post-1892-002142500 1304996504.jpg