Champions League

Another cute Japanese footballer caught the eye, as Manchester United's reserves :blink: demolished Schalke 4-1 in the Champions League semi-final.

Having searched google images, it looks like he never takes his shirt off.... :o

So this will have to do.

pho-uchidaatsu.jpg:wub:

Another cute Japanese footballer caught the eye,

Atsuto Uchida

Born 27/03/1988 - Kannami

Height 5'9" Weight 10.6st

Honours Asian Cup : 2011 (Japan)

Clubs Kashima Antlers, Japan, Schalke 04

Cute he may be, but lucky for him he was on the losing side. . .

As a defender he'd be up against Messi in the final at Wembley. Now that would have been sending this tender young lamb into the lion's den!

Note to non-soccer / football fans. Messi plays for the Spanish team Barcelona and is generally regarded as the world's best player in what is often regarded the best team in the world, but Manchester United fans might dispute that! But in their last meeting, in the Champions League final 2 years ago, United were outclassed by Barcelona.

Sir Alex Ferguson (Fergie) can never be written off. I think I am right in saying he must be the longest serving football manager of all time; if not, then it certainly seems like it! It was quite an achievement not long ago to pass the much-loved Matt Busby's record tenure as manager.

You have to know when to gamble and you have to know when to play it safe. He gambled on Wednesday and won, but he'll be sure to field his strongest team in the final. Be interesting to see if he favours experience over youth. For example, Paul Scholes has the experience but his tired legs are a liability as the match progresses. It may go into extra time of course. United would hope that to be the case as they are a strong team who often score very late in the match. I would hate it to go to penalties (the penalty shoot out if scores are level after 120 minutes).

Guest fountainhall

Arsenal signed a cute 18-year old, Ryo Miyaichi, at the turn of the year. He is on loan to Feyenoord but hopefully will come into the Premier League soon.

As for Sir Alex Ferguson, it was pretty obvious when he was near the start of his career at the Scottish club Aberdeen that he'd be one of the best managers. He took that unfancied club to the final of the old European Cup Winner's Cup and then won it by beating Real Madrid in 1983. Mind you, his first few seasons at Manchester United were pretty average. He himself reckoned he was about to be fired on more than one occasion. And then it all came good!

I'll bet he's just desperate to win a third European Championship so he can at least draw level with Bob Paisley and his Liverpool team.

As to whether he is the longest serving manager, that's probably true at one club. But I think Sir Bobby Robson's managerial career in total still surpasses Ferguson's - just!

Is he the best manager of all time? Hard one, that. Jock Stein had a great reign at Glasgow Celtic in the 1960s making them the first British club ever to win the European Cup (a year before Busby and Man U achieved that feat). But his career slipped after he left Celtic and he died too early. Brian Clough's feats with the almost unknown Nottingham Forest (2 consecutive European Cups) were heroic. Bob Paisley's Liverpool - 3 European Cups in 9 years - were a fabulous side to watch. Who's the best? Can't decide!

post-1892-044576900 1304663186.jpg

Guest Steve1903

Sir Fergie will always have a place in my heart - I'm an Aberdeen fan - but he does have a little way to go to become longest serving manager at the same club. Quick google says that in England alone the longest serving title belongs to Fred Everiss 1902-1948. 46 years is quite a stint.

Miyachi san is definitely cute :wub: . Keep them coming!

As for United, well I don't envisage Scholes being in the side. The midfield is more likely to be four people from the following list Giggs, Park, Valencia, Carrick & Fletcher.

Scholes may make the bench & if he does, I'm guessing it may be his last game.

Guest fountainhall

Akihiro Ienaga isn't in the same cute league (in my book) but will definitely be appealing to some. He plays for Mallorca in Spain's La Liga

post-1892-092930700 1304739138.jpg