TotallyOz

Have you looked at airfare prices lately?

I am getting ready to go to Brazil for a holiday. I had had one hell of a time getting tickets on Delta that are upgradeable to Business using miles. They want nearly 4k dollars plus 60,0000 miles for this ticket.

Out of curiosity, I checked with Delta for Thailand (more than 2 times the distance) and they were over 3,800 for the lowest upgradable fares. I asked the lady if Delta was nuts and she said the upgradeable fares have been consistently going up for the past year and they don't see this trend reversing. That means it is now time for me to switch airlines.

I'll have no problem flying Thai to Thailand but getting something that I can do to Brazil is going to be hard as whatever airline I choose I'll have to be in coach for the first many flights until I get my high status on that airline.

Flying is getting more and more expensive. I hope this is not going to hurt tourism in Thailand but I am afraid it will have to have some bad effects.

Guest fountainhall

I asked the lady if Delta was nuts and she said the upgradeable fares have been consistently going up for the past year and they don't see this trend reversing. That means it is now time for me to switch airlines.

Please let us know if you find any! My experience is exactly the same as yours. All airlines are reducing the number of fare codes available for upgrading so they can generate more cash. Take a look at post #5 on this thread -

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/6851-travel-tips-more-of-those-airline-miles/

Guest anonone

Out of curiosity, I checked with Delta for Thailand (more than 2 times the distance) and they were over 3,800 for the lowest upgradable fares. I asked the lady if Delta was nuts and she said the upgradeable fares have been consistently going up for the past year and they don't see this trend reversing. ]That means it is now time for me to switch airlines.

Check things out before you jump to another airline. It probably will not be any better. United has really increased upgradeable fares of late as well. It seems to be an industry wide push.

If you do decide to switch, you should be able to get a status match for a bit. Usually they give status for a month or two, which you can keep with a designated amount of flying over the course of the month or two. Easier to do if you change alliances....going from a one world carrier to star alliance carrier for example. Make these arrangements before you purchase ticket with new airline.

Best of luck and have a great visit to Brazil.

Delta is supposed to be offering an economy plus seat on international flights and, I believe, Gold and Platinum members will be automatically upgraded at no charge. But the seat does not compare with Thai Airs Premium Economy. I think only option is Thai Air in Premium Economy and build miles for future upgrades.

Guest fountainhall

Michael - Instead of going through the US, have you looked at the European and Gulf airlines. Emirates now flies to Sao Paolo and will soon go to Rio - and you get the A380 at least as far as Dubai. United is a partner in its Skywards programme. No idea of cost, though.

The AIr France/KLM grouping has GOL has a partner.

You can also go via Singapore with SIA flights from Sao Paolo to Singapore and then on to Bangkok. Qantas flies from BA to Sydney and up to BKK. A cheaper alternative is LAN Chile connecting at Santiago. It's daily flight to Auckland and on to Sydney is cheap and business class has excellent full-flat beds, although more stops.