Guest fountainhall

Taiwan Presidential Hopeful Blasts 'Gay' Question

Guest fountainhall

One of the presidential candidates in Taiwan was recently asked questions about her sexual orientation. Tsai Ing-Wen, chairwoman of the main opposition Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), refused to answer and lashed out at a former chairman of the party, Shih Ming-the, who had asked her to clarify whether she was gay.

"I don't want to answer his question and I most certainly won't do it. If I answer him I will become an accomplice of sexual suppression," said Tsai Ing-Wen, chairwoman of the main opposition Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), who is 54 and single.

"There is nothing wrong with any sexual orientation or marital status and no one has the right to question others ... We need to work harder to defend the human rights of all sexual minority groups," she said in a statement . . .

Taiwan is becoming more open-minded towards its homosexual population, and the island's gay rights groups last year said they had hosted Asia's biggest gay pride parade, with a turnout of 30,000.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/232212/taiwan-presidential-hopeful-blasts-gay-question

On the issue of the Taipei Gay Pride Parade, I tried to find a thread from, I thought, last year, with some rather nice photos of the last Taipei Parade. The Search box came up with nothing. So I’ll post a few photos here. Dates for the 2011 event have not yet been announced, but it seems it will be some time around the end of September. I certainly hope to be there.

post-1892-036942000 1303027735.jpg

post-1892-097686500 1303027756.jpg

post-1892-031756000 1303027781.jpg

post-1892-077748800 1303027794.jpg

post-1892-016721400 1303027809.jpg

post-1892-007734400 1303027833.jpg

post-1892-033545100 1303027843.jpg

Guest travelerjim

Thanks fh for the info re: Gay Pride Taipei.

If you get added info about this years PRIDE event

in TPE, please post it.

With the non-stop KLM flights from BKK to TPE daily

and reasonable fares...in coach & business class....

also earns Delta FF Miles..late afternoon arribal into TPE and evening return...great flight times...TPE looks like a a great destination and PRIDE looks like fun too!

My Thai BF can practice his Mandarin in Taipei.

As he has valid USA Visitors Visa in his Thai passport he gets Visa on Arrival at TPE. Otherwise, he would have to apply with Taiwan Embassy to get visitors visa - not too easy to get, I have heard for Thais.

tj

Guest fountainhall

I agree about the KLM flight. I have taken it before and it has great business class prices. On its website, it is offering Bt. 14,820 inclusive for that period against Bt. 9,120 in economy (although I suspect you can get economy at less than that through agents).

I'll be in Taipei in a couple of weeks and will check for more info on the date.

Guest fountainhall

I have to admit they're not my photos! But I'll certainly take my camera this year. My favourite is the guy with the headband in the first photo. Heaven! :p

One great thing about Taiwan guys is most have been through military service for a couple of years. Once they get their bodies toned, they tend to keep them that way - at least into their 30s.