Guest fountainhall

Another Pesky Quiz

Guest fountainhall

Same ones who don't know who's buried in Grant's tomb?

. . . and who wrote Schubert's Unfinished Symphony!

No, that was just a not-so deliberate mistake, sorry.

1. ex

2. 2059 (maybe 2100 but that seems to obvious)

3. X

4. P=20

6. solitude

Come on Michael, I've been to Alabama and the only genius I met were banjo playing savants. :rolleyes:

Guest fountainhall

And here was me thinking this was difficult!

Very good, KhorTose, but only 5 out of 6. No.2 is not quite right. The answer is 21:00. Since the clock loses one minute for every 60, by 21:00 it will have lost 21 minutes and so will show 20:39.

Probably depends on whether it's a real Rolex or a cheap fake from a Silom street stall! :lol:

Yes, but what is the correct answer. Does the site say? I thought 2100 was way to obvious, but I may have over thought it.

And here was me thinking this was difficult!

Very good, KhorTose, but only 5 out of 6. No.2 is not quite right. The answer is 21:00. Since the clock loses one minute for every 60, by 21:00 it will have lost 21 minutes and so will show 20:39.

Hmmmm....some backwards logic here, me thinks (and I might argue that Khun Khortose is just as correct). Let's analyze this a little. Yes,when the correct time is 21:00, the faulty clock should show 20:39 as it's gone 21 full hours and lost 21 full minutes. However, what would the faulty clock show when the correct time is 20:59? Well, the problem tells us that the faulty clock loses 1 minute for every full hour. And, by definition, we know that the faulty clock only lost 20 minutes when the correct time is 20:59 as it's only gone through 20 full hour cycles (59/60th's of a cycle doesn't count). So, when the actual time is 20:59, the faulty clock should show 20:39, right? Now that can't be, can it? :blink:

I'm sure Norton must be right. That's no doubt why the answer to No. 2 is questionable :o

[/quot

Seriously, Norton says this site tried to attack my computer--no joke. However, now that you mention it, this does put this answer somewhat in doubt,.

Seriously, Norton says this site tried to attack my computer--no joke. However, now that you mention it, this does put this answer somewhat in doubt,.

My Norton (up to date) has no problem with the site and the site seems legitimate to me.

And I agree with the answer of 20:39 if the question was "what time would the faulty clock show when the real time is 21:00."

Fountainhill, just for the fun of it, what would you say the faulty clock would show when the real time is 20:59?

Guest fountainhall

Oh, I do like a bit of fun!

The problem, as I see it, is that the question refers to the loss of seconds per hour, but then quotes the times as 00:00 and 21:39 when these should have been 00:00:00 and 21:39:00. Looking at it that way makes it, I suggest, simpler.

So, at 20:00:00 the faulty clock has lost 20 minutes. It’s losing 60 seconds every 60 minutes = 1 second per minute. By 20:59:00 it’s lost another 59 seconds since the last hour. Total loss at that time is therefore 00:20:59 – not 00:21:00. So the clock should show 20:38:01.

Look at it from the other direction. 20:38:01 = 20:59:00 on an accurate correct clock. In needs another 59 seconds for the accurate clock to gain 60 seconds.

My Norton (up to date) has no problem with the site and the site seems legitimate to me.

And I agree with the answer of 20:39 if the question was "what time would the faulty clock show when the real time is 21:00."

Fountainhill, just for the fun of it, what would you say the faulty clock would show when the real time is 20:59?

My Norton is up to date to Bob. I think the site was hijacked and it may be clear now. My Norton now has the site as a malicious site and keeps warning me, but this time no message that is supposed to be from firefox comes on and tries to clean up viruses on my computer. That is what happened the first time and when this started Norton immediately closed the web page. I love Norton as I have never had a successful attack with Norton installed and I always keep it current.