Guest fountainhall

Blackberry Thumb: Beware!

Guest fountainhall

The latest ailment to hit the world as a result of technological advance is being termed "Blackberry Thumb".

''BlackBerry thumb’’ is the name given to a repetitive strain injury caused by overusing mobile phones to send emails and texts. The condition is so common that one law firm believes employers can expect a series of lawsuits from staff claiming compensation.

Karen Jackson, a co-founder of the solicitors Roberts Jackson, of Wilmslow, Cheshire, said: “A lot of people displaying symptoms associated with repetitive strain injury do not realise they are work-related, but the number with symptoms is increasing.”

The firm is increasing its staff numbers to cope with what it believes will be a sharp rise in ''BlackBerry thumb’’ claims.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/blackberry/8403978/Blackberry-thumb-is-new-health-hazard.html

I have not succumbed to Blackberry mania yet - but am being pressed by one of my clients to become more "email available", alas!

Guest anonone

The latest ailment to hit the world as a result of technological advance is being termed "Blackberry Thumb".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/blackberry/8403978/Blackberry-thumb-is-new-health-hazard.html

I have not succumbed to Blackberry mania yet - but am being pressed by one of my clients to become more "email available", alas!

When I was a bit younger, there was talk of everyone having "Nintendo thumb" from all the video games we were playing. We all survived. Same Same.

In regard to the Blackberry, I resisted for quite a long time before finally giving in and carrying one....now up to an iPhone. It actually works well for me and I wish I would have started sooner.

Everyone's usage will vary depending on job function, but for me it eliminated being tied down to a computer during high volume times after normal work hours. Thankfully, I am still able to be totally disconnect during holidays, so the iPhone stays home while I play in Pattaya.