Guest JamesBarnes

Remembering Elizabeth Taylor

Guest shockdevil

My parents loved her. It was not until after she got involved with AIDS activism that I started paying attention to her. I then began watching her films and found her fascinating...both on and off the screen. I also liked that she had a sense of humor...after all, she did have a role in the very campy film "The Flintstones".

R.I.P. DIVA

Guest JamesBarnes

My parents loved her. It was not until after she got involved with AIDS activism that I started paying attention to her. I then began watching her films and found her fascinating...both on and off the screen. I also liked that she had a sense of humor...after all, she did have a role in the very campy film "The Flintstones".

R.I.P. DIVA

Dear shockdevil,

The sense of humour was there untill the very end. The star requested that her funeral start 15 minutes overdue, so that she could 'be late for my own funeral'.

Guest shockdevil

The sense of humour was there untill the very end. The star requested that her funeral start 15 minutes overdue, so that she could 'be late for my own funeral'.

I love it...I almost spit out my coffee when they mentioned it on the news this morning.

Guest fountainhall

Of the many tributes to Elizabeth Taylor, there's a nice one in today's Observer in the UK. Here are just some glimpses from an article which focuses on the four British 2nd World War era refugees who made their names in Hollywood - Elizabeth Taylor, Roddy MacDowell, Peter Lawford and Angela Lansbury.

"Taylor from the start had a rare intensity, sincerity, confidence and vulnerability, and she was blessed with that indefinable, attention-grabbing presence we call charisma . . .

"In 1941, the head of Universal Studios, when deciding not to renew Taylor's contract after her first film there, told her agent: 'She can't sing, she can't act, she can't dance, she can't perform. What's more, her mother has to be the most unbearable woman it has been my displeasure to meet' . . .

"The iconic shot of her in a white bathing suit in Suddenly, Last Summer is famously ravishing and has a particular poignancy when one considers that in the scene from which it comes she's being exploited as bait to attract young men to her homosexual cousin. In fact, throughout her life she had a special affinity with gay men (McDowall, Clift and Hudson were also close confidants) and seemed happiest and most relaxed in their company. She was among the first celebrities to play a prominent role in promoting public consciousness over Aids and then raising money for HIV-related charities . . .

"So how will history judge her? In 1999, the American Film Institute, after an earnest weighing of evidence over performance, reputation, influence and so on, came up with a list of more than 100 film actresses who might be considered female screen legends. They submitted it to a carefully chosen selection of professionals from all branches of the film industry. Taylor was placed seventh, just ahead of Judy Garland, Marlene Dietrich and Joan Crawford and behind Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Greta Garbo and Marilyn Monroe. This seems, for the moment, a satisfactory seating arrangement in the cinematic pantheon."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/mar/27/elizabeth-taylor-tribute-philip-french