Guest kjun12

Broken Seat Belt Repair

Guest fountainhall

Apart from the fact that the driver could be decapitated in a crash if the window did not shatter, I can't quite work out the logistics of that photo! If he is sitting on the left side, then the seat belt should come from some point behind his left arm close to his shoulder and then drape down across his chest. This I can not see. So it should impossible to get the seat belt into that odd position. If he is sitting on the right side, the seat belt is not long enough to stretch that far. Curious!

The seatbelt would be designed to take loads of in excess of 20g during an accident. If we estimate his upper body mass as 50kg, that's the equivalent of about 1000kg load. We know what the result would be.

Of course, stupid people should be free to kill themselves if they choose.

Guest anonone

Apart from the fact that the driver could be decapitated in a crash if the window did not shatter, I can't quite work out the logistics of that photo! If he is sitting on the left side, then the seat belt should come from some point behind his left arm close to his shoulder and then drape down across his chest. This I can not see. So it should impossible to get the seat belt into that odd position. If he is sitting on the right side, the seat belt is not long enough to stretch that far. Curious!

No idea if this applies, but I recall a brief period when some auto models tried "automatic" seat belts, which were on a track along the door window. You started the vehicle, and the seat belt mechanism slid along the door into position behind your shoulder. This idea didn't seem to last very long. This photo reminds me of that idea.

Or it could very well be a photo shop, which is more likely :rolleyes: