Guest fountainhall

Movie Quiz

Guest fountainhall

A little film quiz (shot after 1950).

1. Of which movie did its director say? It was “conceived in a state of emergency, shot in confusion, and wound up in a blind panic”

2. Of which movie did its director say? “It was the toughest three pictures I ever made”

3. Of which movie did one of the actors say? “We were weeks behind . . . Hanky-panky going on in this corner and that . . . There were wheels within wheels within wheels. God, it was a messy situation”

4. Filming which movie did the lead actress say of the graft on the set? “They had $3 million for ’miscellaneous,’ and $100,000 for paper cups. They said I ate 12 chickens and 40 pounds of bacon every day for breakfast.”

5. Filming which movie was the European beach where a major scene was to be filmed found to be peppered with ‘live’ land mines?

No cheating, please!

Guest fountainhall

Answer Time. All the quotes are about the movie Cleopatra - still the most expensive movie ever made in terms of real dollars. Well, I did say "shot after 1950" rather than "all shot after 1950'!

The two director's quotes were by Joseph Mankiewicz. The hanky-panky quote was by Hume Cronin. Like many, he was to make a lot of money out of the movie for doing precious little He arrived with Richard Burton for filming in Rome on September 19th 1961 and did not start any work until after Christmas. He was on a weekly salary!

The female star was, of course, Elizabeth Taylor. The beach was at Torre Astura where Alexandria was to be replicated. Not only was it littered with land mines, it was right next to a NATO firing range. So filming had to be halted when the big guns were in action.

I read all this on my way back to Bangkok a couple of weeks ago. It's in an excellent plane-read book titled Vanity Fair's Tales of Hollywood, a series of long articles previously published in Vanity Fair magazine which give the background/gossip/

stories behind 13 iconic movies, ranging from Cleopatra, Rebel Without A Cause, All About Eve, The Graduate, The Producers, Midnight Cowboy etc. It's a fun read.

Vanity Fair's Tales of Hollywood

Penguin Books (2008)

post-1892-008553900 1300164197.jpg

Guest fountainhall

A prize is indeed merited. But you only got one answer correct. So 1/5th of a drink of your choice anywhere in Pattaya on my next visit :p

Guest fountainhall

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

- Frank Sinatra

post-1892-027899400 1300243235.jpg