Guest fountainhall

Internet and Phone Help - Please!

Guest fountainhall

I have to upgrade my communications tools. I work on Apple computers. For internet, years ago I went with KSC in Bangkok, only because TRUE at the time said I'd need an expensive piece of equipment if I signed with them. Later I learned that KSC uses the TRUE service and charges a lot more for it. So I want to change at the end of this month when the contract expires. A friend here has said TRUE's high speed service in BKK is very good and maintenance is fast and efficient. It's certainly a lot cheaper than KSC. Does this now work with Apples? Does anyone have any other recommendation?

I also need to upgrade my telephone. I've always felt that a phone is a phone and I do not want all the bells and whistles that go with most of the new ones. I don't want an iPhone, if only because I have an iPad touch and am perfectly happy with that. Apart from a Blackberry, what's the simplest phone that will enable easy emailing and internet connections?

Guest kjun12

We had fairly bad internet service with True. Recently we changed to 3 Broadband and service is much improved. True says that this is because of the old telephone wiring in our neighborhood. This is probably correct because we had True when we lived in a different part of Bangkok and the service was much better. I cannot comment on the phone situation because I have had a basic phone for years and that is what I will stay with for the foreseeable future.

Does this now work with Apples?

in the early days True used to supply ADSL modems that connected to a (Windows) PC via a USB port and the Windows-based software and drivers managed the ADSL login and line connection etc and if you used Apple they either did not support it at all or supplied rip-off priced hardware for it - though all Apple hardware in those days was by definition rip-off priced :D

these days ADSL Modems and routers are commodity items available at any computer store and True does not seem to care what brand/model you use or what you connect to it. The ADSL modem now handles the login and connection so any Apple desktop or notebook with an Ethernet port should be able to connect as easily as a Windows machine, you should even be able to connect an Airport in theory but I will leave that to another Apple user to confirm!

as far as True v's others, I am fairly lucky - I am in an old building (but recently rewired internally) and have a fairly new (True) telephone line and am close to a new generation exchange so I get fairly good performance on True's 14 Mb/1 Mb package (except at peak times when international links are saturated) - but your mileage may vary depending on your line and exchange and route to True's international links (eg connections from Pattaya to Bangkok or through some of True's internal routers for cheaper packages are often saturated before the international links!) but I still think True is better the eg 3BB or KSC

I also need to upgrade my telephone. I've always felt that a phone is a phone and I do not want all the bells and whistles that go with most of the new ones. I don't want an iPhone, if only because I have an iPad touch and am perfectly happy with that. Apart from a Blackberry, what's the simplest phone that will enable easy emailing and internet connections?

if you have Mac hardware and an iPad then I am surprised you are ruling out an iPhone - if you use AppleMail and MobileMe then the iPhone is the obvious choice if you want email on your phone, on the other hand Blackberry and Android are much better talking to MS Exchange if that is what you use for business!

what you want to do/need to do on the internet on your phone (rather than your iPad)? if not much then you may not need a smartphone at all!

bkkguy