Guest fountainhall

Venice in Peril - Still!

Guest fountainhall

Name any one city that you really want to see before you die and many will say: Venice. It is one of the great, unique cities with breathtaking views and an extraordinary history going back more than 1,000 years. Yet, as we know, Venice is sinking. In the last 100 years it is estimated to have sunk 11 inches, most of that a result of increasing industrialisation on the mainland. Now it is global warming and rising sea levels that is the key issue.

The BBC website has an article about the increasing number of flood days which have St. Mark’s Square under water. On my last visit, there were floods, grey skies and platforms everywhere with long lines of bedraggled tourists trying to enjoy themselves. Next year, the MOSE system will finally be in place. At a cost of billions of dollars, this took decades of discussion to be approved. It’s an intricate system of flood barriers along the entrances to the lagoon designed to prevent floodwaters from getting to the city. Not everyone is convinced it will work.

Venice is in serious, serious trouble," said John Keahey, author of Venice Against the Sea: A City Besieged. "It's in danger from high water, and increasing frequency of high water, and it's in danger from out-of-control tourism

http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20110225-travelwise-keeping-venice-from-sinking

October is definitely a month to avoid, both for the floods and the teeming day trippers from the former Easter Europe. But at other times of the year, the city retains its breathtaking beauty. See it whilst you can.

post-1892-039347500 1298857303.jpg

post-1892-061008800 1298857327.jpg

post-1892-066025400 1298857346.jpg

Guest loneranger

While I have been to Venice several times there is no inclination to return. Too many tourist which causes one to have to walk down many of its already too small streets in lock-step with the persons in front of you. Additionally, it is more expensive than Florence and the food is not nearly as good. <_<

While I have been to Venice several times there is no inclination to return. Too many tourist which causes one to have to walk down many of its already too small streets in lock-step with the persons in front of you. Additionally, it is more expensive than Florence and the food is not nearly as good. <_<

I agree. I love Venice, but aside from the fantastic art it is just a tourist trap. My recommendations would be to move some of the buildings, most of the churches and all of the art to the mainland. Even with this multi-billion dollar flood control it is only a matter of time before the place disappears. To save it, billions more will soon be needed to shore up much of the town whose foundations are falling apart, and very soon the dam will have to be up all the time turning Venice into a giant sewer. Venice cannot be made functional again, let it go.