Guest fountainhall

The Worst Airport You've Experienced

Had a 2 hour stopover in Doha on my last trip to Thailand...

Its got to be the worst aiport that i have ever visited... filthiest place i have ever seen and all passenger loading/unloading is done by bus as there are no sky Bridges...

How in the name of god Qatar got the world cup... i will never know!

I suspect Qatar got the world cup by paying the decision makers.

The worst airport I have been to is KL LCCT. This resembles a corrugated iron bus shed & has shambolic check in, departure lounge & gate facilities. The terminal was also over crowded & I had to get some lousy bus connection from some back entrance of the main terminal to get there.

Heathrow deserves a mention as one of the worst large airports.

LUTON

For those unaware or lacking European geografy: thats about 50-60 kms north of London, and started as the first base of EASYjet-long long ago (when you had to fone to book a flight-as www was in its infancy). KL/LCC is a shiny well-developed facility compared to that shack.

People who complain about being bussed are simple unused to or have no real experience of much airtravel. (Thus I think their answers should be disqualified.)

Oh no, now that I recall (these questions revoke more memories) there is even one more utterly sober to the grade of disgusting passenger processing shack, or, well was; COVENTRY, just a little east of Birmingham (Brum for UKers), which for a few monthes was used as the ''base'' of a low-cost flyer named Thomsonfly-it has ceased operations and merged with something else since. In both Luton and Coventry there are NO airbridges and even NO buses-you have to WALK-even if it snows, rains or an britsih storm blows. You may even have to pay to use the WC. There are maybe 5-6 seats alltogether, for the elderly and infirm.

Satisfied dear khun FH/ After all both of these are not even run by the BAA. (or whatever that Heathrow and Gatwick running monstrosity getting so much flack lately is named?)

I think Laguardia is disgusting depending on what terminal you come into. I don't like any of the NYC airports but they are easier to fly into than Detroit for immigration.

America is not upgrading its airports, roads, bridges or infrastructure. Thus, in 10 years I would bet this thread would be all about how all the major terminals in the USA sucks. Obama isn't going to do anything and our next President, Sarah, has great foreign policy ideas (she could see Russia from her home remember).

KLLCCT & Heathrow are much worse than Luton.

OK the town of Luton is a disgusting dump, but the airport has all the facilities you need.

There some airline specific problems, such as Easy Jet herding it's customers into a pen before boarding. This is not a problem as long as you stroll down there at the last minute. Ryan Air don't seem to do this, so we can hardly blame the airport.

Guest fountainhall

Had a 2 hour stopover in Doha on my last trip to Thailand

Only taken Qatar once (great airline) and fortunately that was in business. There must be a world of difference between the economy waiting lounge and the premium one. Up there, you are waited on virtually hand and foot. The lounge is huge and once they have your boarding details, it's personal service, even to the extent of coming over to tell you your flight is ready for boarding. The busing to the gates is definitely annoying, but they are massively upgrading the place but I expect in a couple of years it will be a wholly different experience.

LIke you, I think Qatar was a crazy choice for the World Cup when Australia, Japan and South Korea were also in the running. A substantial backhander to Sheik Blatter no doubt ensured it for a wholly unsuitable venue!

Guest GaySacGuy

I am not a world traveler like some, but LAX (Los Angles International) gets my prize. Everything is disorganized, the terminals are quite far apart, and you have to go out into the weather to get to the different terminals.

Furthermore there is no real "International Terminal" (They have one by name only). If you are travelling through LAX to another country, you have to go through US immigration, get your bags (may be an hour or two) and then go through immigration, and then recheck bags, which may mean another terminal...Sucks!!

Guest fountainhall

LAX (Los Angles International) gets my prize

It's certainly way up there on my list. I now completely avoid it. I hate departing via LAX. If I have to enter the US via the west coast, I will go in via SFO - or, if possible, Vancouver. I love spending a couple of days relaxing in Vancouver and then entering the US (and completing all the Immigration checks) at that airport. It is so much faster and user friendly, as are all the Canadian gateways.

Furthermore there is no real "International Terminal" (They have one by name only). If you are traveling through LAX to another country, you have to go through US immigration, get your bags (may be an hour or two) and then go through immigration, and then recheck bags, which may mean another terminal...Sucks!!

Isn't this true for any airport in the USA. I think they all require this.

I don't like LAX based on the way baggage is handled. IMHO, it is horrible and a disgrace.

Guest Thor69

Detroit Metro Airport - DTW and Los Angeles International Airport - (LAX) are about the worst airports I have ever traveled through. Coming from Thailand into these two airports you encounter some of the most stupid customs officials I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. One such customs officer asked me if I was carrying any software on CD. I had some DVD's that I brought with me from my personal collection. He looked over every one and questioned me again about software. I told this idiot that it would be foolish to carry software (in hard copies) when it could easily be sent over the internet. He had no idea what I was talking about and changed the subject. Can you imagine we employ people that have no understanding about the questions they are asking?

Another customs officer wanted to look at my laptop computer. I told him it was password protected. He told me he didn't need any help and knew how to view my MacBook. Five minutes later he asked me to provide the password.They have little training and almost no understanding about what they are doing.

No wonder terrorists can get into the US easily. Our customs officials are too busy being stupid!

:D

Detroit Metro Airport - DTW and Los Angeles International Airport - (LAX) are about the worst airports I have ever traveled through.

While I won't defend the customs people at Detroit or LA (although I've had little trouble), the Detroit airport itself is in my view a breeze to use, especially since they opened the new terminal about 8-9(?) years ago.

Guest Thor69

While I won't defend the customs people at Detroit or LA (although I've had little trouble), the Detroit airport itself is in my view a breeze to use, especially since they opened the new terminal about 8-9(?) years ago.

Yes, the "new" terminal is much better than the old hodgepodge they had before.

I avoid Detroit in the winter months as you can get stuck there when the airport

gets snowed in.

Traveling today is not what it was, let's say, thirty years ago. Now they do everything

they can to make it unpleasant. :wacko: