Guest fountainhall

Are You Now Obese?

I think what you meant was the body mass index. When you said the boy mass index I got a little bit excited.Though I was picturing in my mind how many different Thai boys I was overweight.

I have struggled with obesity my entire adult life. It's not something that comes easy for many of us to alleviate. I love exercising, riding bikes, jogging, Muay Thai boxing, and just about any other form of exercise out there.

But I also love food. That is probably the biggest problem I have is that food is just often to delicious to put down.

I don't eat a great deal of food but the food that I do eat is often not the best quality food. I try my best to eat all-natural things when I am in Thailand. But I find myself giving in to the 24 hours a day seven days a week McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken delivery services. Also find that the hamburger lady I go to near Soi Sunee is a very convenient, and very cheap daily habit.

Guest fountainhall

I think what you meant was the body mass index. When you said the boy mass index I got a little bit excited

Clearly I had other things on my mind at that moment :o And a Boy Mass Index would surely lead to a lower Body Mass Index, given all the workouts it would involve! :p

Often the best exercises for those that are obese is just to push yourself away from the table. I see so many fat westerners in Pattaya with some young thing in tow. Oftentimes it is just repulsive! Your whole life will be better, including sex, if you get your weight under control. Remember that diabetes strikes mostly in overweight adults. Think about that the next time you eat a greasy hamburger or a slice of pizza.

All these guys always on a diet makes me laugh. Most diets don't work. For me, the only way to keep a healthy weight is to eat less and exercise more.

All these guys always on a diet makes me laugh. Most diets don't work. For me, the only way to keep a healthy weight is to eat less and exercise more.

I have to agree with you. Diets will work for the short-term but they are never good for the long-term. What is needed in order to lose weight is a long-term plan of eating food that is good for you and refusing the food that is bad for you. That is where I have a hard time. Ordering McDonald's or KFC is never going to help someone get in shape.

The best way that there is to lose weight is a consistent, daily exercise routine. It doesn't have to be a strenuous, hard-core, kill yourself kind of exercise, but it can be as simple as giving on the treadmill for 45 min. a day.

so what do the Thai do: in front of a high-class girls matayom (=grammar) in the morning, well before 8.00, they distribute FREE supersweet toffee candy -and to the girls only, farang were barred- to promote selling them. And by chance the se=hwen round the corner next day had a prominent display of those toffees. I guess thats at least nonallowed in UK and AUS and USA?

I split my time between Thailand and the United States and when I am in my home country I see so many obese people that it is nauseating. I would have to say that 50% are obese. On a recent shopping trip to the local mall I saw a group of high school students and you would be amazed how fat some are. What a shame to be fighting a weight problem at those young ages. You would think with all the money that is spent on physical education these young people would be in the best of shape.

post-8279-080031600 1297954388.jpg

Guest Soi10Tom

I split my time between Thailand and the United States and when I am in my home country I see so many obese people that it is nauseating. I would have to say that 50% are obese. On a recent shopping trip to the local mall I saw a group of high school students and you would be amazed how fat some are. What a shame to be fighting a weight problem at those young ages. You would think with all the money that is spent on physical education these young people would be in the best of shape.

As a retired PE teacher I can assure you that the first place that the educational money was taken from was PE. America hasn't spent any really money on PE for the "average kid" since the 1980's. They even ended the PE showers that we all loved so much because the money to launder the towels was the first thing to go...so then the kids all got to go to their next class stinking. Obviously even the most athletic of kid didn't want to smell like a goat in the next class, so he did little that would make himself stink. The PE money was spent on money makers like high school football and other team activities that generated cash from food venders (to make the audience even larger) and $$$admissions.

On a slightly different subject: One of my biggest concerns about moving to Thailand full time is that it seems to me that the entire social life of most ex pats revolve around where are we going for breakfast....then where are we going for lunch...then shopping at one of the big box stores or malls, and of course that includes an afternoon snack (I love Dairy Queen).....then planning a much to late to be healthy dinner at a high calorie/high fat eatery....then going out for a few drinks....and a midnight snack.

I want to stay healthy and active as long as I possibly can, and the above receipt is clearly a train wreck waiting to happen.

What do some of you ex pats that are not into the "Eatathon" lifestyle do with your days??

One of my biggest concerns about moving to Thailand full time is that it seems to me that the entire social life of most ex pats revolve around where are we going for breakfast....then where are we going for lunch...then shopping at one of the big box stores or malls, and of course that includes an afternoon snack (I love Dairy Queen).....then planning a much to late to be healthy dinner at a high calorie/high fat eatery....then going out for a few drinks....and a midnight snack.

What in part you're describing isn't really an "expat" issue but an issue common to older people everywhere, even in the west. Older people, especially once they are retired, tend to change their habits and one sometimes gains the impression that their whole day is planned around meals. I remember I used to mildly/jokingly criticize my folks for that a little, my view being that you do what you want to do and eat around that versus letting any meal schedule control what you do that particular day.

But I don't see your worry as a real concern. Sometimes people think that coming to live in Thailand means a totally different experience than what you've been doing the prior 20-40 years. While to some degree it is (plus you're typically retired now which is a fairly big life change), 90% of what you do is the same mundane stuff you did in your "prior" life. You sleep, shower, have meals, go grocery shopping, clean, do laundry, read books, play on the internet, etc.

I've spent two seasons (7 months and 8 months) here in Chiangmai and, while I recognize everybody is different, I still do a lot of the same things here I did back in the states. As concerns the bars, I go on average once a week I suppose (versus almost every night when I used to vacation here). And I make eating choices just like I did back home (and, like at home, when I notice on the bathroom scale that I'm down a couple of pounds in the morning, I'm less hesitant to eat an occasional donut or whatever).

Yes, there are some that are obese and do nothing about it, engage in reckless personal behavior, and at times act a bit stupidly - but I suspect they are acting here just like they did back home. The fact alone that you have these "concerns" tells me you had certain internal guidelines you used to regulate your lifestyle and eating habits for the last 20-40 years. Don't worry, your attitudes will follow you here and more than likely you'll use them the same way you did at home.

Guest fountainhall

About 6 months ago, I went for a quick consultation with a doctor in a hospital near my apartment - not my usual hospital. One of the first things she mentioned was that according to my height and age, I was a good 10 kgs overweight. I can tell from the difficulty I have getting into trousers I bought 10 years ago (and which had already been let out) that I'd have to start paying more attention to my weight. But I eat relatively sparingly at meals and, not having a car, I walk a lot. So how come the pounds still go on? Does heredity play a part? I reckon I'm about the same 'shape' as my father at my age (yet my brother is taller and slimmer!)

Keeping the weight down has it's disadvantages.

I'm in the "ideal" band on those height v mass charts. The downside of this is I have trouble finding trousers of reasonable length with a 30" waist in the UK. The likes of BHS and M&S frequently don't carry much stock at that end of the size range. Astonishing.

Guest anonone

About 6 months ago, I went for a quick consultation with a doctor in a hospital near my apartment - not my usual hospital. One of the first things she mentioned was that according to my height and age, I was a good 10 kgs overweight. I can tell from the difficulty I have getting into trousers I bought 10 years ago (and which had already been let out) that I'd have to start paying more attention to my weight. But I eat relatively sparingly at meals and, not having a car, I walk a lot. So how come the pounds still go on? Does heredity play a part? I reckon I'm about the same 'shape' as my father at my age (yet my brother is taller and slimmer!)

Heredity plays a role, as does the ever marching onslaught of age. Metabolism slows with age, so it takes less caloric intake to maintain the same body weight. Everyone is different....

I had this thought on my last visit watching a young thai friend wolf down ice cream and other sweets (along with eating 5-6 times a day...HA) and just as slender as possible. Realizing he sleeps through half of every day (seems like), just compounded my sense of wonderment.

Also important to realize that regardless of body size / weight, diet and exercise are still key components to good health. A skinny person can have high cholesterol and heart attacks just like anyone else.

Speaking from my own experience, I have found regular, moderate exercise to be the best course of action for me. I can still have some of my favorite foods and still fit into my jeans.

Good health to all....

Guest Jovianmoon

Sorry to drag up an old thread from February but I'm new to the board (first post), have been browsing threads and thought I should comment on this one.

It seems to me that many think less weight = more healthy (in general, not necessarily on this board). Well I don't always eat the right foods (fast food sometimes), I smoke and I probably overdo the drinking on weekends. I also get almost zero exercise. But according to the chart I checked online my BMI is 18, which is just inside the "healthy" range for my height - one more column to the left and I would be classed as "underweight". And yet despite my appearance I am anything but healthy. I'm often out of breath (smoking) and I tire easily. My digestion aint that great either, but I won't dwell on that subject.

I am trying to do something about this - last year I was eating beneath the golden arches at least once a week, now hardly ever. I also do a bit more walking than I used to, get more sleep and drink a bit less. My weight hasn't changed though.

I just wanted to point out that slim doesn't always mean healthy - and I am a case in point.

Regarding the earlier typo 'Boy Mass Index', maybe that could be used to describe the number of staff compared to customers in a bar? As in "Lets go to Krazy Dragon tonight, it has a really high BMI" ;)

Cheers